Alice

Future Full Timers - We think?

We've never heard of anyone having an issue because their RV "is not warranted for full-timing".  If a company states that it's most-likely because they think their product would not hold up during full-timing.  There definitely is a difference in how a RV is made for extended use.  Full-timers buy new every brand out there.

You have gotten some great advice here. My wife and I are rank newbies in the same place that you are . Still searching for the “right“ RV. We went to a local RV show on a lark to take a look at what was on the market. We walked through a lot of motorhomes and (just like shoes and clothes) Mrs Av8r loved the most expensive ones. But the most important info came from chatting with experienced RV-ers who gave us tips on stuff big and small that we never would have even considered. If you go to a show talk to the other attendees, not the salesmen. (sorry RV salesmen). 

One of my favorite RV shopping experiences is when Dave and I were looking at an RV and talking about what we liked and what concerned us. When we were leaving, the salesman thanked us for educating him. :)

Linda Sand

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

One of my favorite RV shopping experiences is when Dave and I were looking at an RV and talking about what we liked and what concerned us. When we were leaving, the salesman thanked us for educating him. :)

Linda Sand

That kind of happened to us yesterday.  The salesman asked how long we'd been looking,  because we were better informed than he'd ever seen.  I was mentioning model numbers of this and that TT and he had no idea what i was talking about. LOL. 

11 hours ago, Oldav8r said:

You have gotten some great advice here. My wife and I are rank newbies in the same place that you are . Still searching for the “right“ RV. We went to a local RV show on a lark to take a look at what was on the market. We walked through a lot of motorhomes and (just like shoes and clothes) Mrs Av8r loved the most expensive ones. But the most important info came from chatting with experienced RV-ers who gave us tips on stuff big and small that we never would have even considered. If you go to a show talk to the other attendees, not the salesmen. (sorry RV salesmen). 

Went to a show yesterday and did a bit of both.  I have to admit we are now thinking of fifth wheels for full-time. And my aversion to slides is becoming less an issue the more I look at the larger units

Slides can change the game a great deal. While nothing is totally trouble free, most of the early problems with them have been solved and the effect that they give to any type of RV is big. We just saw a class C with opposing slides and what a difference!  Occasionally slides can be too wide for a campsite but not often. We have owned RVs since 1972 of various types and have stayed in campgrounds of nearly every agency and while there are some narrow ones, length and maneuverability were far more often problems. State parks are beginning to get larger but many federal parks have not changed significantly. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

It depends on what kind of RVing you do but we did a lot of national forest, national park stays. Think trees!  Opposing slides would have been a big problem for many of our stays.  Many campsites have trees lining both sides of the parking space.

Alice, may I make a suggestion, this worked for us.

Not sure where in Missouri your from but with all the State Parks and Corp Campgrounds get out and walk thru a few. 

Early morning or later afternoon, watch people set up or take down. Don’t interrupt but after they seem at a stopping place just strike up a conversation. Believe me 99% love to talk about their rigs. Ask questions like what are the yellow things under the leg things, why is that big box your cord is plugged into blinking , why do you have that dial thing on the water faucet. 

In other words let REAL RV’ers educate you. We did this and it was better than any dealer, show or online search you could ever do. We went to the Escapees event in Sedalia in June for one day. Wish we could have gone to the boot camp. 

I would suggest you do the bootcamp if you could before you jump in if possible. You don’t need an RV first. 

Good luck on your search hope to see ya’ll on the road! 

57 minutes ago, MidMOTraveler said:

Alice, may I make a suggestion, this worked for us.

Not sure where in Missouri your from but with all the State Parks and Corp Campgrounds get out and walk thru a few. 

Early morning or later afternoon, watch people set up or take down. Don’t interrupt but after they seem at a stopping place just strike up a conversation. Believe me 99% love to talk about their rigs. Ask questions like what are the yellow things under the leg things, why is that big box your cord is plugged into blinking , why do you have that dial thing on the water faucet.  

In other words let REAL RV’ers educate you. We did this and it was better than any dealer, show or online search you could ever do. We went to the Escapees event in Sedalia in June for one day. Wish we could have gone to the boot camp. 

I would suggest you do the bootcamp if you could before you jump in if possible. You don’t need an RV first. 

Good luck on your search hope to see ya’ll on the road! 

Great suggestions!  Thanks Fellow Mid-MO person! :D 

I'm in JC.  So Sedalia is just up the road a bit.  I had no idea there were such events nearby.  I suppose we're at the end of the season for things like that but I'll look into it.  Bootcamp is pricey!  That will have to wait a bit.  My husband and I did pester a couple at a Bennett Springs campground when we were tenting this summer, but only one.

Thanks again!

Well howdy neighbor we’re in Fulton. Yep Bennett is a great place to visit. That’s where we spent a lot of time. Now on our first summer of retirement. Not full time but on the road now since 7/11 plan to return late October 

We first thought a TT under 30’ was gonna work. Nope, ended up with a 39’ 5er and F450 it keeps us out of NP and some SP but there are lots of private places, 

Take your time and like others have said only buy your last RV first! 

15 hours ago, MidMOTraveler said:

We went to the Escapees event in Sedalia in June for one day. Wish we could have gone to the boot camp. 

It is good to hear that you had a good experience with us in Sedalia! I sure wish I could have met you there! We will be at the next one in Tucson next March so if you can get there we would love to meet you.

14 hours ago, Alice said:

Bootcamp is pricey!  That will have to wait a bit.

At $400 for a couple for 20+ hours of classroom and assorted other things it really isn't that bad. I can't recall ever speaking to anyone who attended that didn't feel that they got their money's worth. I think that you would find it very helpful to go before you select your RV as they address many important aspects of RV life. 

Several problems I see here. Avoid RV salespeople as most have never lived in an RV and don't know about weights etc. I didn't know what an RV was when my DH suggested it 8 years ago, now I'll never go back to a house. 

Avoid anything light...it won't handle the rock and rolling of fulltime plus they can't handle any inclement weather. Travelling a couple of hours for an RV show will get you used to the travel needed to see this great USA. I'd also suggest you keep a notebook of all of your DR visits, medication etc. If you need A Dr. on the road, you'll have everything you need at your fingertips. Every RV has tradeoffs so your 3 MUST HAVEs have already been identified, go for them. I usually suggest 36-38' is ideal for fulltime but that doesn't mean you can't do it smaller. This forum is all I had to help me once we decided to go fulltime. Happy shopping. You'll LOVE the freedom.

3 hours ago, blrsmith said:

I'd also suggest you keep a notebook of all of your DR visits, medication etc. If you need A Dr. on the road, you'll have everything you need at your fingertips.

Thanks!  That was actually something I had only just started thinking about.  In fact, I did some research over my lunch hour, since it's open enrollment time, and learned some stuff about retirement and our insurance.  I wasn't at all sure how it worked, but turns out we'll have much smaller premiums than I expected and, at least if we still have the same insurance when I retire, there are a lot of in-network providers all over the country.  I'm pretty happy with what I found out. 

Now if only retirement wasn't still a few years away.  :)

15 minutes ago, Alice said:

Now if only retirement wasn't still a few years away.  :)

If you hope to buy used in a few years, now is the time to look at new rigs that will be used then. That may help you know which ones are worth going to see when the time comes.

Linda Sand

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

If you hope to buy used in a few years, now is the time to look at new rigs that will be used then. That may help you know which ones are worth going to see when the time comes.

Linda Sand

That is exactly why we're doing that, looking at things we really can't afford, and don't even have the truck for yet.  That way we know what truck to get for the size/weight/type of trailer we want and we can have some specific ones to look for.  :)

I would shop lightly used better quality trailers over entry models by Forest River.  We have experienced Forest River, and over the years, like most manufacturers, the products aren't what they used to be.  Yes, they have some unique floorplans, but often in that case, one learns that the more standard floorplans used work out best for living/moving around in one.  It makes a lot of sense to look at used trailers to see how they have held up, and this will be eye-opening!  Poor quality shows up pretty quick, and even the best care by the owner will not hide it.  Don't buy something that you will be terrified to pull - I have seen this a few times, and it really limits the lifestyle.  I am seeing more and more people towing a travel trailer, full-timers passing through.  I never liked the few stairs, or the lack of symmetry that came with the 5th wheels and was exaggerated by the slide.  Slides are fine, but they cost a LOT of money to repair when something goes wrong - budget for it.  Be careful of RV salesman!  When you finally shop, determine how much you will spend and know what you want, and stick to it.  We have always "slept on it" before making the purchase.  If someone else buys it before tomorrow, it wasn't meant to be ours in the first place.

19 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

I would shop lightly used better quality trailers

Thanks!  Even since I posted this thread, our plans have "evolved".  Right now our main interest is in Grand Design, but we're not ruling anything out just yet.  I appreciate the input!