RV Insurance - First Claim Experience

For years we have carried RV insurance.  I always pay attention to posts on different forums about insurance issues.  There are many posts about rate increases but not that many usually about claim experiences.  We have now had our first claim since 2010.

Our insurance is through Good Sams so it is really National General or something like that.  It just went up this policy period about $60 a year so we stuck with them.   A couple weeks ago a empty flat bed semi passed us and a rock flew off his dirty bed and broke our windshield.  We had an appointment at the factory that built our coach the next week so I waited until we arrived there and called the insurance company.  Due to the fact we have a Florida insurance policy there can be NO deductible for glass breakage.  Within a couple of hours we were approved for the entire $3,700 windshield replacement.  But what really impressed me was the payment issue.  Our coach factory has to be paid when the work is complete.  They hold the RV until payment is received or the customer can pay out of pocket and wait on the insurance check.  When we told them we had Good Sams insurance, with the glass breakage claim being handled by Duncan, they said there would be no problem because Duncan would immediately approve it and give them their credit card number for instant payment.  

Needless to say, for this claim experience at least, going through Good Sams was a great experience.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Will be interesting to know if this claim causes your rates to go up the next time you renew.

That will be the $1,000,000 question.  We just got our policy update for another year and I think it went up less than $60 a year.  Next August I might be posting "Insurance Rip Off After Having A Single Claim".   I hope not, but who knows.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

I"ve GS, National General Ins. since 1988! Had one windshield claim and the installer was paid within a day or so! The only policy increase I've had were the normal ones and much less than other national companies semi-annual rates as i've compared them!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of months after changing to GS/NG insurance, I goofed and swung fiver tail into a gas pump guard--had started on an AK trip, so took pics of damage and sent to GS agent. Sent the $4500 damage estimate just on the pics, in about 1 week. Mail from Livingston caught up with us in Tok and the check was in the packet.  After returning home and arranging for the repairs, there was another $1700 unseen damage. GS paid the fiberglass shop without ever contacting us.  Shop said they always get good service when handling a GS/NG claim.

Our insurance in TX has always seemed to be high compared to other states, but the claim service of GS/NG seems to be A-ONE.

Joe

EDIT:   2nd year with GS/NG insurance on new trailer--premium went up $450 this renewal. Checked 3 other companies, all were higher. Bit the bullet and renewed.  

Another good-to-know real life story about their claim service.  This spring we always start comparing prices on our RV, auto, and motorcycle insurance policies.  I suspect even if GS/Nat. General is slightly more than someone else we will stay with them.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

I am having all kinds of problems with National General on a roof claim. Just one thing after another. Unbelievable. The shop said National general is by far the worse they deal with. Interesting how experiences differ. When this is done I am getting rid of them even of them even if it costs more.

Dave and Lana Hasper

• 4 months later...

Our coach insurance is with Progressive. A few years ago we had the navigator's side windshield break. Duncan handles that for Progressive. Within a few days they had a new windshield and gasket. Turned out they didn't need the gasket, but it was better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Of course the new windshield was installed in a shadeless campground on the hottest day of the year. We provided the two workers with plenty of cold water and the front a/c was on max and pointed to the front.

That was a few years ago, so I don't remember what, if anything, we had to pay. Haven't seen any great increase in our rates.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We have had  progressive insurance on all our rolling stock for years.  We have never had  a problem with a claim.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Our coach is insured with Progressive, and our cars and cottage with Allstate. We've had glass and storm damage claims with both and never had a problem or an attributable rate increase. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On a storm damage claim for our car last year, I had the dealer's body shop give me an estimate and then did a photo claim using Allstate's app on my phone. The shop estimate and Allstate's estimate differed by just $67, most of it for paint prep labor. When I asked for an aftermarket replacement fog light instead of OEM, the final total dropped down so my actual out of pocket including my $50 co-pay was $14. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived