Made Domicile Mistake

We are a month into full timing, and discovered we made a domicile mistake.  In order to keep our residency in WA, we signed up for a mail service that uses a physical address in WA.  Then we discovered what we didn't know about our own state, namely that some counties (including the only ones available to us) have HUGE add-on vehicle taxes to fund public transit, namely 1.1% of the value of vehicles each year in ADDITION to existing license fees.  With a diesel truck, fifth wheel, and newly acquired Can Am Spyder this will amount to an additional $1200 per year, plus increased insurance costs, plus 9% sales tax on our newly purchased motorcycle.

Since we have to license the new bike within 30 days and we will actually be in South Dakota in that span, we are considering a sudden domicile change.  But signing up with the mail service was a pain, we paid for a year, and I really like the service.  Can we domicile in S Dakota and use the WA service to handle some or most of my mail?  If so, how do we do that?

Ken and Ellen Bryan

Changing domicile is as much about convincing the state you're leaving that you are actually are moving out as signing up with the new state.

What are you doing to change your domicile to the new state?  The more stuff you leave in the old one, the weaker your claim that you've actually left the old state.

Personally, I'd make as clean a break with WA as I could, including the mail forwarding.  Moving all of your vehicle registrations, drivers license and voting, bank accounts and insurance policies to your new SD address.  It might be awkward to explain to WA tax authorities why your mail is continuing to arrive at your WA address if you have indeed moved out of their jurisdiction.

Your problem is why it is recommended that people thoroughly research where they are going to 'domicile' before they jump into fulltiming.   We had considered returning to Washington for our domicile, but after researching the costs in 2005 (a week before we retired) on the cost of titling our motorhome, we realized that we would stay Texans.   Just wish you could have found us sooner and asked about things to consider when choosing a domicile.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Escapees has a mail forwarding service with a SD address. My mail regarding my drivers liscense and vehicle registration and insurance goes to the SD address which is my domicile address. All my other mail goes to Livingston TX Escapees HQ. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

While mail address is not specifically part of your determination of domicile, it can be a factor. Where the rub comes is when a person is challenged over the true domicile and your situation is one of those which more common triggers such a challenge. You would be well served to do some study of the domicile issue before you start to change things.

The Issue of Domicile

Residence, or Domicile?

The Ten Commandments of Texas Domicile

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with most of what has been posted.  Just cut your loss with the service in Washington and either set things up in SD or Florida.  Vehicle registration fees, taxes, health insurance have to all be considered.  We just renewed all of our annual registrations (2017 43' DP, 2018 car, 24' trailer, 2016 Harley) and it was $170 total.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Kirk, you know the link you titled THE ISSUE OF DOMICILE actually takes you to a page dealing with Escapees mail scanning service?

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

If you listed your WA address when you bought the bike, you're not likely to prevail on a refund there, although no harm in trying.  If you haven't changed vehicle registrations or driver's licenses, WA isn't likely to have much of a claim on you.  If you registered your vehicles there or obtained WA licenses, well, you might want to talk to an attorney.  

SD is your way to go.  And if they have been registered and you have paid more them 4% tax on it in another state, it is my understanding that you will not have to pay there 4% to register it.  I found it easy to get a mailing address.  I was with Teri Lund for years and she made it REALLY easy and walked us through everything.  But they closed there doors quickly with no notice.  I am now with Escapees.  Like said, make a clean break with Wa.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived