new to USA

virginiasean

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Senior Pass  is 

Available for: U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.

We have been to Elephant Butte State Park several times. It can be rather crowded at times. There is dispersed camping (no hookups) in some areas around the lake. Depending on the long term weather and drawdowns, the lake level can at times be very low. Although it does not have the Butte as Elephant Butte does, Caballo Lake State Park also has dispersed camping in areas close to the lake shore and is closer to your route.

We have not been to Lake Eufaula, but have been to a number of Corps of Engineers Lakes (COE). Many have campgrounds with at least electric and water. Many have dump stations. There are COE campgrounds on  other lakes and along the Arkansas River along your route from Oklahoma City to Memphis. Take a look at the state maps in the link above.

No personal experience with  Elephant Butt but plenty of my friends do and I am told that it can be very crowded at times around hoidays and 3 day weekends especially during the warm season.  A good friend used to really like Caballo lake ST Park in the winter. If you are not against parking lot boondocking there are some good spots in Tx in particular. Other states as well.  I usually spend one night on the Tourist bureau rest stop in Amarillo, Tx and it is almost in town, when I pass through if the timing suits me.

thank you for all your tips I am slowly wading through and investigating them all. I have leant so much in such a short time about how things work for you all over the the pond!

Question....after leaving Yosemite and Death Valley our route takes us south to pick up route 66 (40) at Needles where we will stop overnight (unless advised otherwise) then Oatman, Kingman, Seligman and Williams. All of these places look like there are fun things to do in them and all pretty close in distance. I love the old west feel to them and we will be riding the cowboy train in Williams etc ...So my question is which town is the best to stay in for a few days for sightseeing and fun? any recommends about nice parks?

2 hours ago, virginiasean said:

I love the old west feel to them and we will be riding the cowboy train in Williams etc ...So my question is which town is the best to stay in for a few days for sightseeing and fun? any recommends about nice parks?

I would pick Williams and have done so in the past.  To visit......

Walnut Canyon Natl. Monument                         Grand Canyon Natl. Park

Maverick Helicopter Tours                                    Williams Route 66 Open Air Museum

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Unless you are planning to rent a car, consider that Walnut Canyon National Monument is 45 miles from Williams in the direction that you will be headed (90 mile round trip for a day trip). Sunset Crater National Monument and Wupatki National Monument are not far from Walnut Canyon. The Coconino National Forest Bonito Campground is just outside the entrance to Sunset Crater. There are other smaller more primitive campgrounds in the area and commercial parks near Flagstaff. 

Instead of Elephant Butte and Eufaula Lake, Lake Powell in Arizona is for beautiful if you're looking for a large lake.  Table Rock Lake around Branson, Missouri is also prettier that Eufaula.  Elephant Butte is very low with water right now and to me, it's not pretty.

I'd also recommend staying In Flagstaff rather than Kingman/Williams if you've already been to Grand Canyon. Kingman isn't much.  We love Bonito national forest campground in Flagstaff at the entrance to Sunset Crater.  Lots to do around Flagstaff.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

...I'd also recommend staying In Flagstaff rather than Kingman/Williams if you've already been to Grand Canyon...

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, virginiasean said:

...we will be riding the cowboy train in Williams etc …

Unless you rent a car in Flagstaff or arrange some other transportation, I would stay in Williams for the train ride and anything else close by that you want to see. Then proceed to Flagstaff to visit the National Monuments and stay the night or move on if you are done touring early enough in the day.

Instead of Elephant Butte and Eufaula Lake, Lake Powell in Arizona is for beautiful if you're looking for a large lake.  Table Rock Lake around Branson, Missouri is also prettier that Eufaula.  Elephant Butte is very low with water right now and to me, it's not pretty.

While both Lake Powel and Table Rock are worth seeing, Lake Powell is about 160 miles North of Williams. A diversion from your planned route to Table Rock and Branson will add about 280 miles. There is so much to see on a cross country trip that you will have to pick and choose based on the amount of time and any constraints that you may choose to place on the mileage charges for the rental. It seems the two givens are the start in LA and the end in Orlando. 

My mapping program says it takes 1 1/2 days to drive from LA to Orlando. Even if you reduce the driving to four hours per day that just over a week's worth of driving. With six weeks to make that trip I think the OP can afford the time to choose what additions they think are worth making. After all, it's their trip; not ours. Would you be willing to take the blame for them skipping something high on their list of preferred things to do? It's good for us all to share our experiences but let's not get into what decisions "they" should make.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Linda, please check again.  No way can I see 1 1/2 days from LA, Califonia to Orlando by any ground vehicle.  Do you think maybe   La.  (louisiana) to Orlando in 1 1/2 days

Google says it's 2510 miles , 36 hours . That is 1 1/2 days . 

Not that I'd ever try it , but , I suppose it could be done .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Linda, please check again.  No way can I see 1 1/2 days from LA, Califonia to Orlando by any ground vehicle.  Do you think maybe   La.  (louisiana) to Orlando in 1 1/2 days

They are assuming you drive 24 hours a day. None of us do that which is why I converted it into 4 hour driving days making it take just over one week. That leaves the OP five weeks to add detours or sit a few days in a few spots. I guess I got a little frustrated with people saying they couldn't go to places off their direct route; they can if that's how they choose to spend part of their extra time. I personally would not want to take responsibility for them missing something on their bucket list.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hey guys thank you to ALL suggestions. If you have seen a pretty place then PLEASE tell me and as Linda says I will make up my mind eventually what routes we are will to take or not .... it’s a year long project ( good job because there is loads to do)all this planning, so please keep those suggestions coming even if they contradict each other because believe me I am googling ALL suggestions and those that have lakes, beaches, mountains, trails and country parks are those I am gearing towards with a bit of life, fun and tourism thrown in .... the only thing I wouldn’t go far for is monuments and museums .... I love history and architecture but only when I happen upon it and we will be doing lots of that in the city stops 

now a question....

the very first weekend we pick up the RV happens to be a holiday ( thanks for warning me about that). We plan our first stop around Ventura but no further north than Santa Barbara as it will be late by the time we unpack familiarise with RV, shop etc ...anyway I really really like the idea of our first night being by the ocean but we have to book and many of the beach sides say no reservations so please can anyone recommend me a beautiful first stop near highway 1 that I can book and wake up to the sound of the ocean .... here’s hoping you have some recommends

It has been much too long since we spent any time in that area for us to make a suggested stop, even though my wife grew up just a few hours away, as the changes take place far too fast for our information to be reliable, except for one thing. If you will be arriving on any weekend or holiday it is vital that you make advance reservations! 

California Parks Reservations & Fees     for information and rates

Reserve California                                        to make your reservations

16 hours ago, sandsys said:

...My mapping program says it takes 1 1/2 days to drive from LA to Orlando...

11 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

...Google says it's 2510 miles , 36 hours . That is 1 1/2 days.. 

I believe that those times are based on none-stop driving at the posted speed limit. Based on my experience in the past 14 years RVing across the country, talking to other RVers and reading posts on RV forums; actual miles traveled in the RV is more in the 50 miles per hour on the road range due to rest stops, traffic conditions, etc. This seems to square pretty well with statements by folks saying they drive 4-5 hours and 200-250 miles per day.

Using that estimate of actual travel progress, 2500 miles is 50 hours. Driving 4-5 hours per day makes that 10-12.5 days

Let's all refrain from bickering among ourselves and keep on track to help our new member! Bickering only drives new folks away.   😁

1 hour ago, virginiasean said:

.. it’s a year long project ( good job because there is loads to do)all this planning, so please keep those suggestions coming even if they contradict each other because believe me I am googling ALL suggestions and those that have lakes, beaches, mountains, trails and country parks are those I am gearing towards with a bit of life, fun and tourism thrown in .... the only thing I wouldn’t go far for is monuments and museums .... I love history and architecture but only when I happen upon it and we will be doing lots of that in the city stops 

15 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Let's all refrain from bickering among ourselves and keep on track to help our new member! Bickering only drives new folks away.   😁

Don’t worry Kirk it won’t drive me away! In fact I like hearing all the opinions makes everyone human and after all if people are taking the time to help me then they should say what they want ... as long as they don’t get fed up with my questions that’s ok .....

....just hope I get some beach side recommends 

19 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I believe that those times are based on none-stop driving at the posted speed limit. Based on my experience in the past 14 years RVing across the country, talking to other RVers and reading posts on RV forums; actual miles traveled in the RV is more in the 50 miles per hour on the road range due to rest stops, traffic conditions, etc. This seems to square pretty well with statements by folks saying they drive 4-5 hours and 200-250 miles per day.

Using that estimate of actual travel progress, 2500 miles is 50 hours. Driving 4-5 hours per day makes that 10-12.5 days

Now you're getting all technical and stuff . LOL

Seriously ,  50 MPH is exactly what I use to calculate travel times , too . 

And , you're correct about Google's calculations . They are pretty accurate , even so .  

Goes around , comes around .

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, virginiasean said:

Thank you tailor travelor I will certainly be investigating all the places you mentioned. Kirk Wood please don’t hesitate to suggest changes as I am all for it hence why I came on here. We have actually been to LV a couple of times and once was there for two weeks during which time we flew via plane and helicopter to the Grand Canyon and hiked, took a boat trip saw the hoover dam and skywalk etc so we feel we have seen a nice chunk of the Grand Canyon so while we are happy to see new things we are not too focused on visiting it again this time if we have to miss new experiences. The reason I have chosen Elephant Butte is due to the pictures of the place it looks so lovely and different from anything we have seen before. A great place to relax after the fun of Williams etc ... we will be riding the train into Wild West Country and doing some of the touristy things. So yes a bit of everything really. We like some museums but not too many. Mostly we love scenery and water ( would love to see the water falls at the Indian village can’t remember the name begin is with H) The petrified forests is on the list of possibility and we like the idea of all the old towns on Route 66 ....keep the suggestions coming if you don’t mind. 

I think the falls you are talking about could be "Havasu Falls" in Arizona.  What I read about them its a 8 mile hike and I think it takes a couple 2 or 3 days not sure.  You can google it and can find the info.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

At 1st glance the time and distance just caught me by surprise but I did the math based on distance and driving speed of 70 MPH and it came out to 36 hours but not even considering a fuel stop.  Didn't mean to stir up a kerfuffle. Better someone else than me.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, SWharton said:

All COE(Corp of Engineer) parks are on water and are inexpensive.  If you can get a Senior Pass(not sure if non-US can) entry into National Parks etc. and camping is 1/2 price.

A Senior Pass (and an Access Pass) are only for U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  However, the OP can buy the Annual Pass, details here:

Annual Pass

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Since you seem to be interested in Lakes, here are links to two New Mexico State Parks with lakes that are along the Historic Route 66/I-40 portion of your proposed route. Bluewater Lake State Park, Santa Rosa State Park The current boating conditions at both are listed as good so they are apparently not severely affected by drought conditions at this time.

Archived