Texas General Election

Early voting is just what it says, being allowed to go and vote early. Absentee is to vote by mail because you are not in your voting local. When early voting begins you must go to one of the early voting locations for your district/precinct and vote in person via the voting machines. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The info from Escapees talks about "early voting by mail", not going someplace to vote. All sorts of gotchas to receive an application if under 65. There is no mention of absentee voting. We think we are going through Livingston next week and will try to stop in and get an absentee ballot.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

The info from Escapees talks about "early voting by mail", not going someplace to vote.

You need to read it again. It does not say "early voting" as that is a different subject.

Voting Information

Applying for a ballot by mail:

Once you have registered to vote, you may apply for a ballot. You can request a ballot application from the county clerk’s office (See “Voter Resources” below) or download one from www.sos.state.tx.us.

Returning the absentee ballot:

The voter must personally vote and sign the return envelope.

For Voter Registration and absentee balloting:
County Clerk’s Office
PO Drawer 2119
Livingston, TX. 77351
Polk County ballot applications fax: 936-327-6874 
Polk County Clerk’s Office: 936-327-6804

This is what we received, nothing like you are showing.

Dear valued Mail Service member,

We wanted to take the opportunity to share some important information and dates regarding the upcoming General Election in Polk County. 

Voting Information
November is fast approaching and with it comes the General Election for Escapees Mail Service members. Don’t let your vote go uncounted! Be sure to carefully complete your application for ballot by mail and allow extra time for mailing. Here are some important dates and information to keep in mind.

Election day: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 
Last day to register to vote: October 9, 2018 
Last day to apply for a ballot by mail: October 26, 2018 
Early voting in-person: Oct 22-Nov 2
Last day to receive ballot by mail: Nov 6, 2018 by 7pm 

Early Voting By Mail
The last day to register to vote, to be eligible for the November 6 general election is October 9, 2018. When you apply for a ballot by mail, you must request an application. You can download your application by visiting: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/reqabbm.shtml. Applications for voting by mail will be accepted through October 26, 2018 (received, not postmarked). Once your application is received by the Country Clerk, a ballot will then be mailed to you. The ballot must be mailed to an address outside of Polk County unless you are 65 or older or disabled (no proof necessary); however, you must indicate your reason for applying for an absentee ballot, e.g. disabled, away traveling, etc. 

Escapees Mail Service members who will be traveling outside of Polk County may have their ballots sent to the following address. Keep in mind, there will be a $5.00-per-ballot fee charged to your postage account to help defray the costs for this service. 

Your Name
c/o Escapees RV Club
PO Box 1578
Shepherd, TX 77371

This box is for Escapees members who will be away traveling and do not have a secure temporary mailing address that they are comfortable using. Escapees Mail Service agents will forward these ballots on to you, but it is important to recognize that this can cause an additional time delay. It is always best to have your applications and ballots sent directly to you if at all possible.

Mail application requests and return ballots to:

Early Voting Clerk
PO Drawer 2119 
Livingston, TX 77351-9401

Should a situation arise regarding any aspect of voting and you don’t know what to do, please contact the Secretary of State’s office. Their legal staff is available toll-free at 1-800-252-8683, or elections@sos.texas.gov

Voter Resources
Polk County ballot applications, Fax: 936-327-6855
Polk County Clerk’s office: 936-327-6804
Texas Voter Info: www.votetexas.gov

And if you would follow the link that you posted it will tell you exactly who can use the form and how to do so. I suppose it is a matter of semantics as they don't call it an absentee ballot, but if you read the instructions, it states that one of the reasons you are allowed to use it is if you will:

be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; 

My original question was whether absentee voting was the same as early voting by mail. Based on your response I interpreted I would have to apply to early vote(by mail) and then go to the polling location to vote. That wasn't what we are looking for so I didn't follow any further.

We are going to stop at the registrar's office on our way through and get this sorted out. We also con;t understand why if you are under 65 the ballot needs to be mailed to a different city. Plenty of people are traveling on business and need to vote absentee but don't have a secondary address in a different city.

Just trying to get this all understood so we can vote.

In the last 5-6 places we have lived and voted absentee we just picked up an application, they mailed the ballot to whatever address we wanted(generally home) and we filled it out, mailed back. No question  as to why or age or disabled etc.

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

Based on your response I interpreted I would have to apply to early vote(by mail) and then go to the polling location to vote. That wasn't what we are looking for so I didn't follow any further.

I misunderstood your original question. I have since received the notice that you were speaking of and so realized what you were referring to. In Texas, there is an early voting period for those who physically go to the polls and also a mail-in ballot for those who qualify. That is often referred to as absentee ballots, but in the TX information site it is called early voting by mail, probably because it is used for more than absentee purposes. TX allows anyone who is over the age of 65, disabled or in jail to use the very same system as you do if absentee. It can be misleading when called "early voting by mail" as there is also "early voting in person" in TX but it is the very same ballot as an absentee for those who are not in their home county at election time. The point of the Escapee message is to remind members to apply for their "early vote by mail"(absentee) ballot in time to receive it. 

Applications to vote by mail must be submitted by mail, common or contract carrier, or fax.

• November 6, 2018 Uniform Election: Friday, October 26, 2018

It might be that this section of the TX Secy. of State website will help. 

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

My original question was whether absentee voting was the same as early voting by mail. Based on your response I interpreted I would have to apply to early vote(by mail) and then go to the polling location to vote. That wasn't what we are looking for so I didn't follow any further.

We are going to stop at the registrar's office on our way through and get this sorted out. We also con;t understand why if you are under 65 the ballot needs to be mailed to a different city. Plenty of people are traveling on business and need to vote absentee but don't have a secondary address in a different city.

Just trying to get this all understood so we can vote.

In the last 5-6 places we have lived and voted absentee we just picked up an application, they mailed the ballot to whatever address we wanted(generally home) and we filled it out, mailed back. No question  as to why or age or disabled etc.

It is assumed that you are able to go to your voting precinct if you are in town, hence you have to have an out-of-town mailing address if you want to vote absentee - UNLESS you are old (like us) or disabled, and then they will let you vote by mail.  Would be so much easier if all states went to vote-by-mail like Washington and Oregon do.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

You are saying if I am on a business trip I can't vote unless I have an out of town address.............That doesn't sound right.

Basically yes.  You would need to be gone long enough to apply for a mail ballot and receive it in time to send it in by the deadline.

There may be something else but I am not aware of it.

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

You are saying if I am on a business trip I can't vote unless I have an out of town address.............That doesn't sound right.

There is a two-week period that early voting is allowed (Oct. 22 - Nov. 2), followed by election day itself (Nov. 6). I think that the assumption is that most residents will be able to utilize one of those days. Absentee voting is primarily intended for those who are actually absent from their homes for a prolonged period of time.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

39 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Absentee voting is primarily intended for those who are actually absent from their homes for a prolonged period of time.

When we were full timing we had to order our absentee ballot early enough for it to be sent to our mail forwarder then on to us in time for us to return it before deadline. Just another challenge that comes with the freedom of the mobile lifestyle.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

Well they assume if they send it to your home, you are at home.   BTW - that's why they have 'early voting' so you can vote before you leave on your business trip.   And if you are going to be gone so long that you can't early vote, then have the absentee ballot sent to where you will be staying.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

When we were full timing we had to order our absentee ballot early enough for it to be sent to our mail forwarder then on to us in time for us to return it before deadline. Just another challenge that comes with the freedom of the mobile lifestyle.

Linda Sand

But in Texas you must be over 65 or disabled to have it sent to your 'home' address.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Does anyone know when Polk County will send out absentee ballots?  Do they wait until right before early voting begins?  Right now I don't know where I'll be in October.

It's a shame they won't let us download and print the ballot, then mail it in from wherever we are.

RV Newbie, Full-timer

1 hour ago, Susan H said:

Does anyone know when Polk County will send out absentee ballots?  Do they wait until right before early voting begins?  Right now I don't know where I'll be in October.

It's a shame they won't let us download and print the ballot, then mail it in from wherever we are.

That's why Escapees has a separate "out of town" address set up for those using their service to get their absentee ballots.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

14 minutes ago, Susan H said:

Sure, and I'll probably end up using that, but it would be helpful to know the likely date range.  That would give me the option of receiving the ballot directly without the forwarding delay.

So give them a call and ask.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Susan H said:

That would give me the option of receiving the ballot directly without the forwarding delay.

We voted absentee using the Escapee services many times and never did our forwarded ballot arrive too late for us to vote. 

From the ballot application instructions that are printed on the form:

Deadline:

Your application must be received by the early voting clerk of the local entity conducting the election not later than the 11th day before election day. If the 11th day is a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the first preceding business day. You may submit an application throughout the calendar year, beginning January 1. Please remember that the application must be received not later than the 11th day before the first election in which you seek to vote by mail. If you submit an Annual Application for Ballot by Mail within 60 days before an election that takes place in the following calendar year, your application will be valid for any election that takes place in the following calendar year, regardless of the fact that your application was submitted prior to the end of the preceding calendar year. This applies to Annual Applications only and not to a regular application for ballot by mail.

1. Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. 
  2. Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.

• 1 month later...

Archived