Keystone Raptor

Sniper

We are seriously looking to purchase a 2018 Keystone Raptor 421 CK Toy Hauler. Any reviews from forum members on the Raptors and Keystone RV's in general as to build quality and dealing with Keystone if/when problems arise would be welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I have looked at them from afar, thinking of getting one.  Saying that, I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once.... LOL... sorry.  I spent a week camped by a guy that was living in one.  I asked how he liked it, he said it's nice, but he wants to sell it.  Says he has had slide problems and leaks.  His dealer (was from CA) did not want to fix it right even though he bought it from them new.  I think it was a couple years old.  He was on his way to the manufacture facility, they were going to fix his problems there.  I still may look at one myself. 

If your looking for a used one, there is one a few miles from me that is like new but 4(?) years old.  The couple bought it loaded, I think it's a 43 footer, used it a couple weeks to camp in, then hubby died in plane crash.  It has set every since.  It is, or was, sitting at a dealership in Lakota, ND if you are interested.  I did look at the inside, it looks showroom new.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I had a 2011 35 ft Raptor toy hauler for 6 yrs, just sold it last year. It wasn't my primary RV, I just used it for short trips to carry my ATV's & dirt bike into the back country for a few weeks of riding & dispersed camping. I also used it to haul my Harley between summer & winter homes.

Overall I was very happy with it. Its not the highest quality toy hauler available, but for the price its good value. I bought mine brand new and other than the normal sloppy assembly, I had no major issues with it. After taking delivery I spent a week fixing fit & finish items from the factory & tightening loose screws, etc. I've had 3 brand new RV's from different manufacturers and they all seem to have similar issues. Personally, I'd much rather fix all these minor things myself than waste time at the dealers shop. My opinion of Keystone back then, was that they were above average but not the best available. On the other hand, I didn't want to pay the asking price of the "best available".

Keystone may have changed vendors or design on these items by now, but back then there were 2 common issues on most Raptors (and several other brands using the same components). The Lippert rear loading ramp door was rated for 2000 lbs dispersed load. But I and others felt it flexed too much when loading a heavy item like my 800 lb Harley with my 200 lbs on it. I used a sheet of plywood on top the ramp to further carry & disperse that load. Then there was the fuel pump associated with the fuel tank for pumping gas into your toys. It had a plastic impeller that tended to swell up and jam, especially in hot ambient temps.  I forget the brand of that pump, but Keystone wasn't the only mfg using it back then.

I liked my Raptor and it fit my needs & use very well. After 6+ years of use, I sold it for 75% of what I paid for it. The key is to really understand how you're going to use this RV and what your priorities are; and then look for the best match.  What was best for me or others, may not be the best for your priorities.

Jim

Thor Industries owns Keystone RV now. I have a Keystone Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler now. We purchased it brand new in  2015. It was at dealer for first year about 7 months for some big and small problems. If I was to do it again I would buy one that is 1 to 3 years old. Let the person before you get all the bugs worked out. Things I wish it had on it when I purchased. Three A/C'S, bigger generator, thermal payne windows, shocks & slide toppers. Make sure you check dates on tires. Mine were 1 year old already. The build quality is just like most  rv builders quality. Most of them are really terrible. Find the floor plan you like & go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived