Fall camping in Colorado - input requested

Explorer01

Has anybody camped in Colorado in the fall? Say, October? If so, where - anyplace in particular that'd be nice that time of year? I'm guessing the temps really start dropping toward the end of October. I'm a new full-timer and could be heading south to New Mexico before snow and ice (hopefully!) I'd probably stay in an RV park - nothing fancy. I like to boondock too, but might like to stay be stationary for the whole month. I'd appreciate any input.

October was one of my favorite times of the year back when we lived in CO and also WY. But when you discuss CO weather you also need to define which part of CO since in the high mountains winter weather arrives much earlier than it does in the eastern part or even along the front range. It ranges from a low of just over 3000' to a hight of more than 14,000'. Denver and most communities along the front range are in the range of 5-6,000' while Leadville is over 10,000' and most of the ski communities are around  9,000'.  October weather is usually fairly warm and snow is possible but not common. Nights will be chilly in the lower areas to cold in the high ones. I would not hesitate to visit most any part of the area in early October but the risk of cold and snow rises a great deal as you near November. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd narrow it to the SW quadrant of the state, then, and below 9,000' for sure, but with easy ability to drop south.

Thanks, Kirk! Any further ideas based on your experience would be appreciated. I'm sure some of the RV parks close around that time, too. I can look on some of the RV park search and review apps.

October is usually very nice if you stay below 9,000 ft. Areas around Durango, Pagosa, South Fork, Creede, Lake City, all have very comfortable fall weather through Oct. There will be the occasional early storm front move through, but most of the ill effects will be on the passes up at 10,000 ft and only last a day or two. I live here all summer at 8500 ft and I prefer not to leave til the end of Oct. Sept & Oct are my favorite months. 

Many of the public and private campgrounds do begin to close down in Oct (some in Sept), not so much for the weather, but for lack of business. The other thing to be aware of in Oct, if you plan to go hiking in the back country, Oct is big game hunting season in Colorado. 

Jim

Archived