Nissan Cargo Van

TLRam1

Has anyone towed with a Nissan Cargo Van NV 2500?

That appears to be the vehicle that will be chosen when it comes time to get a trailer in about 8 years.

I have looked at all options I could think of.

The item that makes this challenging is taking a motorcycle everywhere we go.

1. Toy haulers do not have floor plans conducive to the comfort I am looking for. 

2. Considered Class A's and pulling a trailer, expensive and I like having a separate vehicle.

3. Pulling a trailer behind a TT makes this entire caravan too long, over 65 feet for Texas.

4. Pickups are expensive, used we are talking where the van new is around 38K.

5. Pickups are also higher and harder to load the bike in vs the van but the PU would be the preferred vehicle over a van. 

6. The van would have locked storage for the bike, generators and other gear that the PU would lack.

7. The expense of 5th wheels and losing the back of the truck, sort of rules them out.

8. Currently looking in the size of 28-30 feet.

I have made spreadsheets on the tow vehicles for comparison purposes and generators. Info will change when I actually pull the trigger but I need to have a direction to work towards is the purpose for doing this now. 

I have a list of Deal Breakers (Must Have) for the RV, Strong Favorites, items I Like, Safety Items to look for or add, this can change over time.

I have looked at every brand I could fine and probably 800 floor plans, many of them 2-3 times, built a packing list, kept a list of floor plans that interest me along with brands looked at.

Anyway I have been reading two forums for months gathering information and will post this on both forums so you may see it twice.

Terry

Welcome to the Escapee forums. 

You as an interesting question, since in 8 years most things involved in the question will probably be different unless you mean to be using a current van to tow a 2018 trailer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am trying to multi-quote, Not sure if it will work as I don't see the quotes in this message.

Kirk, you are correct and I hope the van will still be produced in future years. I am planning now and will make adjustments as needed as time passes. Knowing what I know and being informed I will be able to make more sound modifications.

Linda, the 2500 van has a payload rating of 2760 pounds, does that include the weight of the driver? The bike is 600 pounds and generators around 100 pounds, add a passenger at 160 pounds leaves 1900 pounds.

I will have to look at the GCWR, I don't know this number.

Terry

Kirk he’s the chief of the welcome committee. Does a heck of a job at it too. 

Welcome.

I think Nissan offers a safety bulkhead between front seats and the back.

Vans make good tow vehicles aerodynamics and other wise according to some people who use them. 

They are often ignored in our “truck centric” demographic. 

Wow 2 buzzwords in one sentence. 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Yes they do offer a bulk head between the front and back. I think that would get in the way of reclining seats so I was looking to hang one of the heavy plastic freezer curtains between the two to keep rode noise in the back and AC in the front.

There are a few strong pluses to have a van vs a truck, a couple would be price and everything in weather protected lockable storage where you can put lots of gear inside, be it on the floor, walls or hang a slim ladder from the ceiling.

With the high ceiling most can walk inside without bending over and easier to get into vs a pickup bed.   

Terry

19 minutes ago, TLRam1 said:

Yes they do offer a bulk head between the front and back. I think that would get in the way of reclining seats so I was looking to hang one of the heavy plastic freezer curtains between the two to keep rode noise in the back and AC in the front.   

I bought insulated light blocking curtains from Walmart to hang between the cab seats and the back. I don't think I'd sleep well with those plastic curtains.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/28/2018 at 3:51 PM, sandsys said:

Your numbers show a 2500 carrying your motorcycle and generator still has enough GCWR to pull a trailer that large? I'm surprised by that.

Linda Sand

Getting back to Linda, I have not checked out the Combined weight. It is not on the Nissan site, getting these GCWR numbers from Car & Driver so not sure of accuracy.

NV 2500

Payload 2760

Curb weight 6335

Towing 9400

GCWR 13500

NV 3500

Payload 3540

Curb weight 6357

Towing 9400

GCWR 16000

Why does the 3500 have a larger GCWR? Same motor, curb weight is about the same so not a beefier frame, suspension maybe?

Wheelbase on these are 146 inches, the same a a F150 Crew Cab with 5.5 ft bed. Outfitted with the 6.5 ft bed the would add 10 inches to the wheelbase.

Terry

2 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I bought insulated light blocking curtains from Walmart to hang between the cab seats and the back. I don't think I'd sleep well with those plastic curtains.

Linda

Those would work also and maybe a better option, thank you.

Terry

6 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

Getting back to Linda, I have not checked out the Combined weight. It is not on the Nissan site, getting these GCWR numbers from Car & Driver so not sure of accuracy.

NV 2500

Payload 2760

Curb weight 6335

Towing 9400

GCWR 13500

NV 3500

Payload 3540

Curb weight 6357

Towing 9400

GCWR 16000

Why does the 3500 have a larger GCWR? Same motor, curb weight is about the same so not a beefier frame, suspension maybe?

Wheelbase on these are 146 inches, the same a a F150 Crew Cab with 5.5 ft bed. Outfitted with the 6.5 ft bed the would add 10 inches to the wheelbase.

Very likely the difference is tires with a higher capacity, and perhaps an extra spring. This is fairly common among heavy-duty single rear wheel pick-ups (not duallys). The one-ton truck will be very similar to the 3/4 ton truck, with the exception of higher load rated tires and perhaps an extra leaf spring in the spring pack. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

7 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

NV 2500

Curb weight 6335

NV 3500

Curb weight 6357

With only a 2# difference in curb weight, it may have different tires but gearing of the rear end and transmission would be my guess.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Gears went right over my head, guess because Nissan did not offer options, tires I never would have thought of. The 2500 I would think the ride would be better solo, wonder if they can put the gears in the 2500.  I would have enough payload in the 2500 with 400 pounds left over, that includes a 350 cushion for items I have not thought of yet, just thinking. 

Terry

Archived