DPF Cleaning Results

Mastercraft

A short report on my DPF cleaning job.  Took it apart myself.  Need a metric flare nut wrench, a floor jack, and other basic shop tools.  I did the DPF and the other thing above it (combuster or ???).  Took three big gaskets and one exhaust pipe gasket.  Went with after market gaskets cause Volvo wants 3x for theirs.  Oh, also cleaned the doser.....won't go into the busted off bolt that holds that thing on.

If you set the DPF on the counter at Inland Kenworth....$180 gets your cleaning done.

Performance notations.....less than one regen per tank.  Regen finishes in 25 minutes or so. Was able to get 35 lbs of boost at 11,000 ft on Monarch pass in Co. ( last year with a plugged DPF... maybe 20 lbs) Seems like the EGT is a bit lower as well.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Other thing is a catalytic converter that produces the heat necessary to reduce soot trapped by the DP Filter to ash - called a “regen”.

passive - regen occurs continually during high power output.

Active - egt is not high enough - doser injects hydrocarbon to raise temperature of catalytic converter to regen levels

Parked or manual - none of above conditions are being met so a person must trigger a regen with the vehicle parked. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

What year, make,  and model of truck and engine do you have?

That info is in his signature.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The thing above it is what makes the heat.  The doser sprays a fine mist (more of a smoke) and that thing (the DOC) is what reacts with it and gets hot.  It is what gets poisened with sulfur, coolant, etc, etc and won't get hot enough. 

They usually recommend replacing the doser instead of cleaning if there is a problem.  It is only like a 250K mile part and it has been updated many times for the better over the years.  If the coolant port is rusty it can erode away and drip coolant into the exhaust and cause a world of hurt.  If the nozzle section is eroded it can drip fuel when off and wreck your mileage or it can put out a bad spray and take forever (and extra fuel) for the DOC to get up to temp.  Stupid little part causes all kinds of trouble.  Now all that said, if it was working fine a cleaning of it while you are already in there for something else never hurt anyone.  Well, except for getting the dayum thing off.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did you have the Computer soot level reset? Where did you get your parts at. I've been looking for cheaper parts especially the dozer gaskets. So you've gone to 1 Regen per tank now after cleaning and it takes less time? That's good to know thanks for the post. Iddy

national rally 2021.jpg

eBay for the doser kit, bolts, gaskets, hi temp zip tie....$20.  The big gaskets and the exhaust gasket, filterserviceandsupply....$16 for the DPF and less for the exhaust.

Oh, on those clamps, tighten carefully, then tap with a hammer all the way around, then tighten again.  Anti sieze on all the threaded stuff.

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

Didn't change anything else this time...just new bolts on the doser.  I got what seemed like a lot of regens, and I'd never done it before and who knows what the last guy did or didn't do.

Dropped the stuff off at Inland Kenworth.  They baked the DPF and blew it out. Vibrated and rodded out the cat

I'm seeing the pressure washer method on line ....not sure on that one.

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

Did you say you were down to 1 regen per tank of fuel?  I drove my last bus for 4 years and am on the second year for the current bus and I have never had to do a regen.  I have only known 1 driver to have to pull over and do a parked one, we have around 20 buses. That said my Volvo asks for one every 50 miles. I ignore it as I know it needs new nox sensors. If it tells me it's go to derate then I will do one again. It has 350 miles on it after the last one, I think I will go with the eBay ones. 

I think doing what you did would be a good idea at the same time. Is there some place for me to look for instructions?

20 hours ago, Mastercraft said:

A short report on my DPF cleaning job.  Took it apart myself.  Need a metric flare nut wrench, a floor jack, and other basic shop tools.  I did the DPF and the other thing above it (combuster or ???).  Took three big gaskets and one exhaust pipe gasket.  Went with after market gaskets cause Volvo wants 3x for theirs.  Oh, also cleaned the doser.....won't go into the busted off bolt that holds that thing on.

If you set the DPF on the counter at Inland Kenworth....$180 gets your cleaning done.

Performance notations.....less than one regen per tank.  Regen finishes in 25 minutes or so. Was able to get 35 lbs of boost at 11,000 ft on Monarch pass in Co. ( last year with a plugged DPF... maybe 20 lbs) Seems like the EGT is a bit lower as well.

Every 50 miles🤔.  A couple things could cause this in addition to it being plugged.  There is a pressure sensor tap above and below the DPF....maybe that sensor is bad.  Also, maybe the doser is plugged or dead.  Instructions?  I just did the net thing....YouTube, etc.

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

Yea Desert, I think Detroit Diesel uses a DI water machine.  Or it is a water cycle after an air blow.  I don't know much about it though as I've never been in one of theirs.  Their DPF's are made for it though so it is all good for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - 3000 mile trip, one regen. I'm thinking the heat shields I put on the post turbo pipe my have provided some extra heat for passive regen.

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

I am confused! I have a 2014 D-13. Bobtailed 2500 miles, pulled 20000# for 3000 miles and never seen a regen light. Does my truck have a renen function or does it do automatically? It seems to use about 2% DEF fluid per gallon diesel. Talked to the Volvo people but did not get much help.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

6 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Some "show and tell" for you guys with 2010 and newer trucks.....

I was looking for information NOT an additude!   Sorry I have a newer than 2010 truck!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

40 minutes ago, noteven said:

Read the emission systems owner / driver manual for your truck. 

That's not the manly way.:P  Just yesterday, I suggested to son-in-law that he look in the manual to see how to turn off annoying sounds and horn beeps.  He looked at me like I'm crazy.  Which I may be......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 9/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, Dan Johnson said:

You guys are amazing. SORRY I asked for advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan....no worries.....the older and grumperer we get the more "amazing" we get.....until ...... We reach the .... " Final Regen....

Drive on...... (Metall polish works well to clean the chrome tip on the M11 exhaust.)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived