cable sizing

packnrat

changing to four 6 volt deep cycle batteries. so get to build new cabling.

what is the recomended size for this app? not really up on what size is what, ( i just know a 1/2 in or so od size will out do my needs voltage/amps wise) or good for. aka best for 12 volts. 

longest run will be less than 10 feet. more like only five feet.

and then why not welding cable?  yes i know auto cabling has a harder shell. ( durability for abrasion) and welding cable has finer cabling wire.

so even with 4/0 gauge at 5 feet. i can not get a full 12 volts??

did i work that computer program right?

as i type this my power requriments are not know to me.

it is a small rv, reffer, heater, other? and a cpap. any other over night? and this is after bed time. before would be lights, water pump, other but cpap would be off at that time.

will try and do a proper audit for needs.  but with 4 - 6 volt deep cycle i have more than needed. ( i hope). yes gen during the day.

no hook ups, boon docking. in a area with no noise restrictions. but try to keep the gen to a min at night. just because.

i do not know why it is so hard for me to wrap my head around all this. i do get the basics. have not zaped myself with 50K .. yet😜

all the values are geberish to me. but i get if i run 4.0 cable between batteries and converter i am good to go... right.

i try to it the right way, maybe a bit over kill. thinking the 4 6 volts. ground to frame. and to inverter/converter. poscable through a marine cut off switch. via a fuse off the batteries. then on to feed into the coach.

along the way will hook up in a wire to feed from solar.

yes need to buy the correct electronics for this. trying to learn as best as i can.

i know as long as the magic smoke stays in things. i am good to go. 😃

4/0 cabling will handle your needs with no issue.  I prefer to over build things and I always use 4/0 cable on all the battery banks I build.  You could go down to 2/0 and still be fine, but I prefer the 4/0 for my systems. 

I also always use welding cable when building battery cables.  It is much easier to work with and bends much easier.  Anywhere it passes through something, I always sheath it to prevent any rubbing.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I prefer to use tinned marine cable as there is no capacity lost to corrosion over time. If there are tight corners I'll sometimes use Superflex or 2 smaller cables such as two 1/0 wires instead of a single 4/0. 

Having the proper stranding in the cable (22-26ga) ensures the best ( a good crimper is needed) contact between the wire and the inside of the terminal when crimped. 

The temperature rating of the insulation will affect the capacity

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Marine cable is best. It is consistent in quality. With welding cable, there is a lot of differences between companies. The inter-connecting cables on the golf cart batteries are important. I recommend having them made commercially, I use GrenuineDealz or BayMarineSupply. GenuineDealz has given me excellent service and quick delivery. 4/0 is heavy. Check that 2/0 will be enough for your expected ampere draw.

It is not good practice to use doubled cables for one circuit. One cable set will always have a different resistance and one cable could carry enough extra to cause a problem.

Archived