Motorhome Insurance If Only Vehicle

atp20

Hello,

I'm finding that many insurance carriers will not cover a motorhome if no other vehicles are owned. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

I have a Class B registered in FL, and am about to begin an extended cross-country trip.

Thank you.

Jerry

Full-timers face this same problem.  Full timer insurance is very much a niche market.  But there are agencies and companies that specialize in it.  Discuss your situation with http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/ and get a quote from them.

You might also want to check this site out first: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html  Great background information!

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Yes, we had that problem with Progressive insurance back in 2008. Foremost, however, was willing to insure our motorhome without having a toad. BTW, read the fine print once you get the policy; that's how we found out Progressive wasn't actually covering us even though they sold us the policy in spite of us having told them we would not be towing another vehicle.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The only vehicle on our Progressive policy is our motorhome. I signed up for the policy online instead of through an agent, and the toad question never came up. Our toad is bundled with our other car and vacation cottage coverage from Allstate.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The only vehicle on our Progressive policy is our motorhome. I signed up for the policy online instead of through an agent, and the toad question never came up. Our toad is bundled with our other car and vacation cottage coverage from Allstate.

That's a different situation. Our motorhome was our ONLY vehicle. That is what invalidated our Progressive policy. If we'd had another vehicle insured someplace else we would have been fine. ONLY is the critical word here.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

That's a different situation. Our motorhome was our ONLY vehicle. That is what invalidated our Progressive policy. If we'd had another vehicle insured someplace else we would have been fine. ONLY is the critical word here.

Linda Sand

There was no mention of any other vehicle on the application...

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

There was no mention of any other vehicle on the application...

What the application doesn't say doesn't matter. I verbally told Progressive the motorhome was our only vehicle yet they sold me a policy that was invalid in that case. It's up the the buyer to be sure they are getting what they want. Just like someone who buys what they think is a full-timers policy only to discover they have no liability coverage. Ignorance is not a defense; read your policy soon enough to get a refund if it is not as warranted.

Linda

I found no wording in my policy that invalidates it for not having another vehicle, nor can I think of any valid reason why they would have such a requirement. Maybe NY state prohibits them from having that requirement.

Dutch

Read the section on HDT Insurace for HDTs in the HHRV Resource Guide   because the situation you have with a sole motorhome vehicle is very much the same as a owner of a HDY used as the only vehicle.  The issue is the projected liability of using the vehicle in day to day shopping and other activities.

May not like the rules the insurance companies are using but they have years of information of setting up their actuary tables.

The importance of the HHRV Resource Guide article is the need to find not just any insurance agent know how to represent.  In really makes life easier if you have a "normal" vehicle that you could use for day-to-day driving, even if you don't happen to have it with you as you travel.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thank you all for the very useful advice.

I've read the articles, spoken with several insurance companies, and received motorhome-only quotes from Foremost and Integon (via Good Sam). May I ask if anyone might offer evaluations of these firms? Internet searches find many negative reviews, but that might be expected.

Geico and RVAmerica could be possibilities, too.

I'm also considering buying and storing an old used car or scooter and remaining with Progressive.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to help. Any advice would be welcomed.

Jerry

Leisure Travel Class B in FL

Foremost is a company that has been involved in the RV community for many years and they are a frequent sponsor of Escapee events as well as a commercial member of the club. Never heard of the other company. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived