Badlands NP to Rapid City, SD

BillandKathy

Has anyone travelled SD44 from Badlands NP to Rapid City, SD in a MH?  We’re heading to Hermosa, SD and I want to know if I could take 44 or should I go back to I-90 to head west.

Thanks, Bill.

Bill & Kathy & Strider our GSD
Bill - Navy Vet, Retired Police Officer
Kathy - Retired Office Manager
2014 Thor Chateau 33SW, Safe-T-Plus
2011 Chevy HHR

Yes, you should definitely use hiway 44, its a great road & nice drive through open range land. Its all 2 lane road, but it has good shoulders and very little traffic until you get close to Rapid City. Use the 16 bypass (Elk Vale Rd) to jump from 44 to 79 on the east side of RC. I don't like to drive my MH into downtown RC, but you don't need to if you're headed to Hermosa.

Its been a few years, but I used to have a summer home up there and used 44 frequently with my MH & toad. The quality of the asphalt surface will vary from brand new to needing resurfaced, depending on their schedule. They do new overlays in sections every few years, on a rotating basis.

Jim

SD44 it will be. The route looked good when I checked it in Google Earth, but it's good to get input from someone who has been there.

Thanks for your reply. 

2011 Chevy HHR

JRP gave excellent advice.   We drive thru there several times a Summer... last time less than two weeks ago.   it is just like JRP described.   Great roads all the way.   Note the dinosaur on the North side... just a little West of the Cheyenne River... 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Thanks for the replies. 

We are now in Hermosa, via SD44.  Took a pic of the dinosaur to send to the grandkids. 

A few rough sections but overall a pleasant drive with very little traffic. 

2011 Chevy HHR

Archived