fiberglass lifespan

Rvnotyet

From my limited understanding (owning live-aboard boats) exposure to UV over time will take the oils out of the fiberglass and start the chalking process.  If you can slow this process down the longer your f-glass will last.  Our last boat was 20 years old when it finally would not take wax.  Had to spend a lot of time and effort bringing it back.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Fiberglass RVs are no different than any other material construction in that it just depends upon the care and maintenance of each one. The oldest travel trailers around in significant numbers would be Airstream & Avion which were both all aluminum exteriors. I have a neighbor who purchased a travel trailer new that has fiberglass exterior construction which is now 4 years old but has been sitting inside and never once slept in or used because the husband suffered a stroke days after they took delivery and eventually died. It is going to be sold soon and should be a real bargain. Yet that same travel trailer if used hard and neglected could well be junk. Storage conditions make a tremendous difference in the life of any type of RV since hot sun, severe weather, and various other conditions can take a huge toll on the exterior materials. 

A typical RV will decline in value from the original purchase price by approximately 10% of current value each year. I don't mean that it has $0 value in 10 years, but if it were new valued at $100 then year 1 = $90, year 2 = $89,  3= $80.1, 3= $72.09, 4 =$64.88, 5 =$58.33 and so on. In other words ithe value each year is roughly .9 times the previous years value. Thus after 10 years the $100 RV should be worth about $34.87. But remember that this is not based only on the exterior but also on the fact that appliances and interior all have a working lifespan. Put any RV into a bad situation and it declines much more quickly and in an ideal situation it will decline in value more slowly. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

50 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

From my limited understanding (owning live-aboard boats) exposure to UV over time will take the oils out of the fiberglass and start the chalking process.  If you can slow this process down the longer your f-glass will last.  Our last boat was 20 years old when it finally would not take wax.  Had to spend a lot of time and effort bringing it back.

You're describing the gelcoat on the outside.  

Fiberglass that has been protected by a paint layer, either gelcoat, or common household paints, car paints etc, will last just about indefinitely.  Raw fiberglass that is exposed to sunlight-UV, continuous water or oil, like in a boat bilge, will separate as the resins that hold the fibers together lose their bond.  I've worked on several restoration projects of fiberglass yachts from the 1950's-60's that were structurally sound.  The gelcoat looked like crap, but the material under it was fine.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Bowler, the company that built the first fiberglass camper trailers, just had the 50th anniversary convention here in in the city of its birth.  Although i did not attend i am sure that there were a few 40-50 year old trailers still being used!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

9 hours ago, Rvnotyet said:

A fiberglass exterior for a c class seems like a good idea, but is there an age limit to how long a fiberglass exterior lasts?

One thing that isn't clear about the question. There are different types of fiberglass in use in the RV industry. Are we speaking of the total fiberglass construction like Scamp or Casita, or perhaps a shell-type construction more like the Born Free or Lazy Days class C motorhomes, or the type that is used in roof materials and end caps on some of the travel trailers and motorhomes, or do we just mean the fiberglass that is found in use by most manufacturers for exterior sidewalls today? Not all fiberglass is the same in construction or in structural qualities.

Thanks everybody, although this site is a broader one than, say Toyota RVs, it's obvious that the information members have is also very broad and extensive which is much better than a narrow way of thinking about things.  Sorry I didn't give more specifics, I've been looking at (dreaming of finding) a toyota oddessy americana or a lazy daze that I could afford, which means probably 20-30 years old.  Any followup thoughts on this new information would be great, thanks for all the posts on this so far-

2 hours ago, Rvnotyet said:

I've been looking at (dreaming of finding) a toyota oddessy americana

This may or may not apply but better to have a heads up than not. Years ago my Mom bought a Class C motorhome on a Toyota chassis. The coach and chassis were not a good match. When Mom tried to file a claim for damages Toyota blamed the coach manufacturer and the coach manufacturer blamed Toyota. She never got satisfaction from either. Buyer beware.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

She never got satisfaction from either. Buyer beware.

Which is the main reason that they are so difficult to find today and also the fact that no RV has been built on the Toyota chassis for a long time.  There is a company building on Ford, Chevy, & Ram chassis now as I saw one in a service station a couple of days ago.  It is by Tiger Adventure Vehicles.

Exterior-1-980x400.jpeg?x88549

A Google search on "Toyota Class C RV" will turn up lots of info about them, as well as number of them for sale. The two basic styles were the molded fiberglass body units like the Chinook and the Sunrader and the more conventional stick built units with fiberglass or aluminum sheet siding like the Dolphin, Winnebago, Itasca, and Lazy Daze models, along with several other lesser known brands. The primary reason the RV manufacturers stopped building them after 1992 was that Toyota wouldn't sell them the new model trucks, as well as stabilized gas prices that were boosting the larger model RV sales. As far as the "blame game" goes for who's responsible for which claims, that's no different today than it was then in the RV world.

When it comes to longevity of the Toyota based Class C's, they're no different than any other RV. Properly maintained they can all last a long time. The 1986 Toyota based 21' Dolphin Class C I bought and restored in 2005 is still in regular use by the folks I sold it to, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the fellow is a retired Toyota mechanic. They tell me the little R22 4-hole engine is still purring right along taking them wherever they want to go...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

When it comes to longevity of the Toyota based Class C's, they're no different than any other RV. 

Nope. In Mom's case the Toyota's axel was not designed to carry the weight of the coach built on that chassis. The coach builder said Toyota misrepresented the chassis and Toyota said the coach builder should have known better than to build such a heavy coach on that chassis. A lose-lose proposition for Mom.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

39 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Nope. In Mom's case the Toyota's axel was not designed to carry the weight of the coach built on that chassis.

The highway safety commission made the same pronouncement and this is a link to the story. Here is another update to that story which was written in 2010.\

19 hours ago, Rvnotyet said:

I've been looking at (dreaming of finding) a toyota oddessy americana or a lazy daze that I could afford, which means probably 20-30 years old. 

If you find one before you buy it, make sure that the recall was completed. Here is a link to one of the many recalls that were issued for those RVs. 

Thanks for finding those links, Kirk. It did confirm for me that Mom's RV was a Coachman.  I was not confident enough that I had the name right to post it before.

I hope anyone considering buying one of these RV reads that first link.

Linda

We have had two Montana's since 2006.They all were in direct sunlight all year between Florida Arizona and summers up north. The fiberglass exterior never had a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

Nope. In Mom's case the Toyota's axel was not designed to carry the weight of the coach built on that chassis. The coach builder said Toyota misrepresented the chassis and Toyota said the coach builder should have known better than to build such a heavy coach on that chassis. A lose-lose proposition for Mom.

Linda

Ahh, one of the pre-recall units. The costs and lawsuits over that contributed to the death of at least a few specialty RV manufacturers, as well as Toyota's decision not to sell the new truck design to RV companies. The fact remains, the same battle between chassis and coach builders still occurs today at times, with each one blaming the other for some failure or another.

Dutch

Making sure the earlier than 1986 Toy based Class C's have been upgraded to the full floating dually rear axle is definitely called for except for most of the lighter 18' models that only needed single wheels. The quick check is just to look for the large protruding center hub similar to those seen on larger motorhomes.

Dutch

I very possibly missed it in this thread. But as far as Lazy Daze - are they not 'Aircraft Aluminum Skinned' units?

As far as Toyota Dolphin's, same comment. I believe some are fiberglass, with Gel Coat Finishes, vs Painted. And for some reason I think I've seen some with Aluminum skin's too? (Admit not as clear on this as I am that Lazy Daze had Aircraft Aluminum skin builds.)

But a good quality Dolphin, with neglected gel coat. Should usually be able to be 'brought back' to original - better - condition. So if you find one that is 'rough', negotiate price accordingly. To allow professional refinishing, and gel coat application. 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

7 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

But as far as Lazy Daze - are they not 'Aircraft Aluminum Skinned' units?

I used to believe that they were fiberglass also, but I think that look comes from the aircraft type of paint that is used on them. Looking at their website I found this:

The Lazy Daze exterior coach walls are covered with smooth, sectional replaceable aircraft aluminum panels, not unpainted fiberglass that is commonly used in the RV industry. These durable laminated panels can be individually replaced at a later date, if substantial body damage occurs. Aluminum is lightweight and non-flammable, as compared with fiberglass. Our motorhomes are painted with aircraft type two-part polyurethane enamel, providing an attractive, easy maintenance exterior finish. As you might expect, the roof covering on our coach is rugged, sun and tear resistant, one-piece painted aluminum - not rubber.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:46 AM, Kirk Wood said:

One thing that isn't clear about the question. There are different types of fiberglass in use in the RV industry. Are we speaking of the total fiberglass construction like Scamp or Casita, or perhaps a shell-type construction more like the Born Free or Lazy Days class C motorhomes ...

Lazy Daze uses aircraft grade aluminum panels, not fiberglass for their exterior walls.  The roof is also a one piece aluminum sheet.

Edit:  I see Kirk beat me to this.

1 minute ago, Lou Schneider said:

Lazy Daze uses aircraft grade aluminum panels, not fiberglass for their exterior walls.  The roof is also a one piece aluminum sheet.

See the post that I made just before this one....

Archived