newly retired military looking at full time living / travel in bumper pull trailer

mikehopper63

I am a new member & semi retired active duty combat veteran who is very interested in buying a bumper pull travel trailer for my light duty 2017 silverado in order to use it as a temporary home as well as travel the next few years both up north & southern areas of north america. I attended some rv shows but i really want to make the right choice the first time by getting something that has a low or little maintenance roof instead of the flexible membrane i had before which rotted during my deployment in 2005 only to be salvaged due to water damage uppn my return. I prefer to try to keep the weight below 6k so i can not push the truck as well but i understand the ultra lights are not made well or very durable or suitable for living in either.  thank you

The fiberglass trailers like Scamp and Casita are made well, light weight, and waterproof with good insulation. They are tiny but might work for you. Or you might consider buying a Class C that can tow your truck. I don't know if you can tow your truck four down but someone will be along soon to tell you about that. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thank-you for your service!  Enjoy your retirement, it's well deserved.  Can't help you on small/light campers, this is my first year as a weekend warrior, my 5th wheel camper is ~14k depending on what I put in it.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I would agree that either the Scamp or the Casita may be what you are looking for but keep in mind that either one will still need some maintenance to keep them in good condition and they are not inexpensive.  The Scamp comes in as large as 19' and the Casita is up to 17' in length. There are any number of ultra lite travel trailers out there which have similar weights and much lower cost for as large or larger trailers, but they will also take somewhat more maintenance to keep them in good condition. Since going back to part-time, my wife and I travel in a 19' KZ Sportsman Classic trailer and it has served us well and for a much lower cost than either of the other two. In addition, both of those are sold new only by the factory so they are more difficult to check out. 

I might also point out that you asked pretty much the same question of this forum back on August 10 I'm wondering if you lost track of it or forgot? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You want to compare the cost of buying a fiberglass trailer, either new or used, with the cost of buying a GOOD used regular trailer and having a new roof put on.  I would expect that you could get several good maintenance free years form a new roof.  I'm sure some people will be along shortly to talk about how much a new roof would cost.

BTW, will you be traveling solo, or with a spousal unit?  Got a large dog or two?  These are all factors in what we might recommend as suitable to you.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

The Scamp comes in as large as 19' and the Casita is up to 17' in length. There are any number of ultra lite travel trailers out there which have  

The Scamp 19' is a 5th wheel. Their bumper pulls only go up to 16'.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The Scamp 19' can be pulled by a half ton easily, with all the ease and stability of a fifth wheel. None of the hassles of special load leveling hitches. I own a Scamp fiver now and set up a king size bed in it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, Kirk Wood said:

I would agree that either the Scamp or the Casita may be what you are looking for but keep in mind that either one will still need some maintenance to keep them in good condition and they are not inexpensive.  The Scamp comes in as large as 19' and the Casita is up to 17' in length. There are any number of ultra lite travel trailers out there which have similar weights and much lower cost for as large or larger trailers, but they will also take somewhat more maintenance to keep them in good condition. Since going back to part-time, my wife and I travel in a 19' KZ Sportsman Classic trailer and it has served us well and for a much lower cost than either of the other two. In addition, both of those are sold new only by the factory so they are more difficult to check out. 

I might also point out that you asked pretty much the same question of this forum back on August 10 I'm wondering if you lost track of it or forgot? 

On 8/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, Kirk Wood said:

no i didnt forget but thank you i was looking for  more input & added some additional comments from my original post but thsnk you!

On 8/22/2018 at 8:07 AM, Optimistic Paranoid said:

You want to compare the cost of buying a fiberglass trailer, either new or used, with the cost of buying a GOOD used regular trailer and having a new roof put on.  I would expect that you could get several good maintenance free years form a new roof.  I'm sure some people will be along shortly to talk about how much a new roof would cost.

BTW, will you be traveling solo, or with a spousal unit?  Got a large dog or two?  These are all factors in what we might recommend as suitable to you.

no shotgun second half to travel with & no plans to get another one anytime soon but a dog may be added later but as of now it will be just me & no grandkids or kids of my own to travel with at this point thank you

Welcome, Mike, and thanks for your service.

I'd suggest that you join the owners forums for any brands that you are considering. Ask specific questions there. Be sure to share your "mission profile" with each forum, as not every trailer will be suitable for your needs.

Keep in mind that ALL recreational vehicles, from the simplest trailer to the most complex motor homes, WILL require some maintenance. The specific details change from coach to coach, but it still has to be done.

You might also consider a used Airstream. Check out airforums.com for the discussions and the Classifieds.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived