Prescriptions while on the road.

Any of the nationwide pharmacy chains, like CVS or Walgreens, let you pick up a refill at any of their locations, provided the original prescription is in their computers.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Howdy!

We get yearly 90 days mail order prescriptions from our doctors. Prescriptions go to Escapees in Livingston which they sign for and then we get them forwarded to us. We found 90 day mail order is less expensive than have having then filled at a pharmacy.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

We've used Walmart for the past 6 years and not had any problems. We switched to CVS because of insurance. They keep trying to refill prescriptions from past locations. Also they try to renew prescriptions which don't have any refills and I no longer take. No real problems but just a nuisance. We will stick with CVS for now but we'll see how it goes.   

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

We used Walmart when we were on the road but some stores were much better than others. One couldn't fill the whole order so they gave me part of them and said to come back in two days for the rest. I wasn't going to be there two days later so I said I'd wait and get it filled at the next Walmart down the road.

We have CVS now because they are inside our local Target where Dave buys our groceries but I sure do get tired of them trying to get me to order my prescription when they want to fill them instead of when I want them to fill them.

Years ago we used Walgreens and I forgot to pack one set of pills for a trip. We stopped at a Walgreens in Spokane and they were happy to fill the Minnesota prescription for us since it was in their computer.

I'd switch back to Walgreens in a minute if Dave didn't think CVS was more convenient.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

What kind of bad service are you experiencing at Wal Mart.  We used them for 16 years while full-timing and traveling constantly, and still do.  Haven't had any issues.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

33 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

What kind of bad service are you experiencing at Wal Mart.  We used them for 16 years while full-timing and traveling constantly, and still do.  Haven't had any issues.

I order the prescription but they don't fill it. They give me 30 days instead of the 90 days on the prescription. They can't find the prescription because they entered the data wrong. They insist I don't have an account. At one point I had two accounts because of data entry errors so they couldn't find the prescription that was on the other account. Etc. Like I said, some Walmarts are good but some aren't as good. Or they are good one one day but not another day so you know it's the clerk that's the problem. In fact, I generally felt it was a clerk problem.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We normally use Express Scripts for our mail order due to insurance but for other prescriptions, we use Walgreen's and have never had a problem at any Walgreen's. I like the Walgreen's drive-thru service. Their system texts me when a prescription is ready and I just go to the drive-thru. I hate waiting in line at the store.

We used Express Scripts for years with good service but recently due to changes in healthcare laws and Medicare rules we now find that Pam has insurance requiring the use of CVS while mine is Humana/Walmart. We both changed just last fall and in both cases, they have emailed us wanting to fill old prescriptions and/or to fill prescriptions not needed. We find that we must decline those requests repeatedly. Other than that we have had no complaints about either and we did pick up some for Pam this summer while on the road by just asking the fill be at a CVS where we happened to be. Even so, we did need to go after it while we used to have them go to our Escapee mail and they forwarded them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Really liked Walgreen's but the insurance changed that so back to using Wal Mart. No problems with Part D prescriptions but Medicare Part B supplies is a rub. Never had a problem had a problem with Part B with Walgreen's but Walmart has required a new prescription to transfer even between stores. No good answer why.

CVS is a difference story. I used them them for mail order from the start of mail orders and occasionally for new doctor orders. I then moved and starting traveling, I would ask for refills and responses was "we will have it tomorrow". Tomorrow the excuses came. I think CVS is individual store problems and I happen to travel to the areas of bad CVS.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

BTW, I have read that you can't get US prescriptions refilled in Canada even if you are using a chain like CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart who have locations there.  I have no personal experience with traveling in Canada, so maybe someone else here can comment on that?

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

CVS, Walgreens, etc, don't exist in Canada. Walmart, Costco, Safeway exist, but are ran as international companies, as far as Americans are concerned. The records don't exist, prescriptions don't transfer, etc. Make sure to bring enough meds for your expected travel, plus a comfort margin.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.. Walmart recently has been losing us in the system, sending prescription to wrong store,, limiting to 30 day supply even when last order was for 90 day, lack of medication in stock and need to order it causing up to two day delay, requiring me to wait til I am within 1 - 2 days of being out of med till they allow refill among other smaller frustrations.. This may just be part of living on the road but trying to find an easier way to deal with the issue.. Thanks for all of your input, may give CVS a try!

Just a small heads up - while Rite Aid (now many are Walgreens) will do a refill that was first filled at another store, they seem to be required to get permission from the first issued pharmacists.  I've been told that at about 3/4 of the refills I've had done on the road.  That can be a problem when time zones or weekends find the original pharmacy closed. 

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We have been using Wall  Mart for prescription refills since 2006 since they are all over the country. We have not had a problem with Wall mart but did have a couple of  self inflected problems. We do our Refills on line and the biggest problem is remembering were we are  and giving the proper store to send the refills. Wall mart even sends a heads up when for prescriptions  are  nearing time for refill.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We just ceased using Walmart after many, many years... and are now using Walgreens.   We both are on Medicare part D,  Humana/Walmart... but over the last 9 months have found some really inexcusable performance by Walmart (Yuma Walmart) that 'lost' prescriptions they had previously filled from a local Doctor... and a Walmart in Atlanta TX that did not forward Flu shot records to our Base Doctors in Michigan as they had stated they would do.   Not to mention difficulty in transferring Prescriptions from store to store.

Our usage of Walgreens is limited, but smoother... And it looks to be a better choice.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

On 8/18/2018 at 11:02 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

We get yearly 90 days mail order prescriptions from our doctors. Prescriptions go to Escapees in Livingston which they sign for and then we get them forwarded to us. We found 90 day mail order is less expensive than have having then filled at a pharmacy.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

X2 Works great!!

Mike

Full Time Since 2013

2014 MS 38RSSB3

2018 Ram 3500 Dually, Auto Level Air Ride, Aisin 3.73

From my experience with Walmart:

--  One of the biggest problems, is Walmart doesn't have a central single account for a pharmacy customer.  The accounts tend to be tied to each store.  By this I mean that when the local WM pharmacy enters in your name and date of birth, it doesn't go to a central place has has any and all Rx's you have filled at any WM.  That is not to say the local Pharmacy "can't" find your Rx from another store.  They can.  They just have to do some searching. 

-- Our most recent problem is we had a new Rx filled in the Dallas area.  When we were back at our "home" WM pharmacy they could only find our old expired Rx for the medication we needed.  It wasn't until we took the Rx bottle in showing we still have 3 refills that they did about 3-4 minutes of searching and found that the Dallas WM pharmacy created a new account since it was a new Rx sent by our Dr.  We didn't tell the Dallas pharmacy we were an existing WM customer.   Not sure if that would have helped or the pharmacy tech would have changed or knew how to change the account info.

-- We too have found WM wants to supply a 30 day instead of 90 day.  It usually has been because the medication was expensive.  That is, the medication would have been about $1000 (with insurance) for 90 days, so they opted for a $300+ 30 day Rx.

--  It does help if you specify you want a 90 day Rx when you request a refill. 

--  About WM not having the medication on hand when you request a refill.  WM works very hard to ONLY have on hand products which move.  If the pharmacy doesn't have customers which regularly use the medication at that WM they don't stock it.  CVS & Walgreen does the same.  However they probably have more customers so may have more of the medication on hand.

No question that CVS & Walgreen's give better service.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We chose Wal-Mart for our Part D just because they are all over the country and we regularly buy there. We haven't had any real problems, but a couple of times a prescription was sent to a store that wasn't anywhere near where we were (as in two States away). I'm going thru cataract surgery now, and when I scheduled the surgery I was told that a prescription for various eye drops would be sent to the pharmacy. I happened to think to ask "which pharmacy?" and was told one that was 60 miles away. The doctor seemed to think it was odd that I wasn't down in Branson like I had been earlier in the year.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 8/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, chiefneon said:

We found 90 day mail order is less expensive than have having then filled at a pharmacy.

That very much depends on what Part D plan you have.  For example, I currently have an AARP Walgreens plan through United Healthcare.  The cost difference between mail order or buying at a local Walgreens is so low as to make mail order not worth the trouble.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived