Guns/storage/Canada

ralelo

Basically, everything you've said is correct.  BUT, let's note that the United States Post Office cannot be lumped in with private shippers like UPS or FedEx.  It's not a crime to ignore UPS or FedEx's shipping regulations.  Postal Regulations ARE Federal Law, and you can go to prison for violating them.  By Federal Law, individuals CANNOT ship handguns by the U.S. Mail.  FFL dealers CAN.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

32 minutes ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

BUT, let's note that the United States Post Office cannot be lumped in with private shippers like UPS or FedEx. 

Correct. I should have been clear... private shippers that "will" ship handguns. You can use USPS for long guns, but no private individual can ship a handgun via USPS and "must" declare a firearm when shipping. I never consider them an option so neglected to clarify that point.

Good catch. Thanks.

USPS Who can, who can't, and conditions/requirments outlined.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/11/daniel-zimmerman/fact-check-shipping-firearms/

This shipping firearms article is from 2012.  Nonetheless the links are current and support Yarome's summary.  Handguns rules differ from long guns.

Later,

J

PS We keep some firearms both in the states and in Alaska and travel with a pump action shotgun through Canada which has never been questioned. 

PSS Many years ago handguns were not a problem

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

1 hour ago, jcussen said:

pawn.jpg.c2a53daf44b1328486b90119bca5837b.jpg

I kinda thought that part of the thread was put to rest 9 days ago with the posted link to the ATF rules concerning pawn shops. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thank you all for your replies. I found out I missed the internet/cell service more than the guns. Just kidding. I hate guns, but I've been saved 2 or 3 times as someone was trying to jam the door open, but changing their mind after hearing the cock of the trigger. I'm an oilfield baby and my mom was 19 when she had to protect us with a pistol in the middle of nowhere at 2 or 3 AM when my dad was on a rig working. I respect them. I tease my husband mercifully about the guns but we boondocks frequently and I'm always thankful for him and his protector. 

We had thought of shipping, pawn shops, just burying them somewhere and the list goes on and on. He's a stickler for rules and it seemed advice varied in all directions. We ended up finding a storage area in Blaine, WA who offered the smaller units. The lady advised us to take our receipt and present it to customs on entry. We did. The customs officer said we made her job a whole lot easier with that receipt because of course we're from TEXAS. They told us they had to run the background checks on us because it was our first time in Canada and search of our truck and rv.  

We stayed for around 45 minutes with the fur babies glaring at the kennels they'd provided for such scenarios.  After a time they came to get me because they couldn't get into the lock box they'd discovered. That rather confused them because when asked what we kept in there I responded my meds of course! I went into the RV and unlocked the lockbox for them to reveal the meds. It was rather weird to me because we declared the guns and the receipt from the storage unit as advised by the storage agent.  After that we were on our way and talking about how when we were in on the border of Mexico we had helicopters and border patrol finding illegals constantly during the week we were in PioPico. It made an interesting conversation as to rights versus safety.

At any rate Canadians were lovely people and we enjoyed our short stay there. My tips for Canada: Walmart will give change for $100 even if you buy a pack of gum. Get the international phone plan before you go. We wasted a day at the Virgin Kiosk at the mall trying to figure out why the Canadian sales people didn't have communication with the US sales people. In the end we bought a prepaid plan for our phones and went the rest of the time without internet. It might be better to just buy burner international phones. Without internet it's extremely hard to plan where to go and how. I did find they were fascinated with our president and apparently loved him. I didn't really know what to expect after the trade agreements. Rv'ing gives us such a wonderful opportunity to view different perspectives of life.

3 hours ago, ralelo said:

After a time they came to get me because they couldn't get into the lock box they'd discovered. That rather confused them because when asked what we kept in there I responded my meds of course!

Good to say meds not drugs. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived