Yamaha 2000 Generator vs Honda 2000 Generator??

Phil Saran

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

When you can only get 13.3 amps, as per your photo, it's a moot point. 

16.7~ish at max output. But yeah... from the picture it would "appear" to be limited to 13.3a.

I got the impression the poster may have simply been referring to the plug type.. not the actual output of the outlets located on the genset... or it's capability (?) 

6 hours ago, Phil Saran said:

I was at Costco last week and they have the Yamaha ES2000 gas generator for sale for about $500 each

If it was the $500 "Yamaha" I've seen at Costco... they are NOT.... repeat NOT Yamaha generators. They are A-Ipower gensets "powered by Yamaha" engines and made to ressemble Yamaha's. The engine is not the same one used in actual Yamaha gensets and it's really the electronics and governor that make up the greater majority of what makes a great genset great.

Don't be fooled by knock-offs. This is likely what you saw at Costco.

One point to consider when choosing between duals in parallel and a single, larger capacity, genset is that running in parallel will limit output to the combined continuous output of each portable where a single unit will have the full max output available.

5 hours ago, Yarome said:

If it was the $500 "Yamaha" I've seen at Costco... they are NOT.... repeat NOT Yamaha generators.

I would bet that Yarome is correct as I too have seen the COSTCO generators for $449. There are several important things to consider before you spend that money. Note that the running rating is only 1600 watts, and not 2000. Noise level is 65 db while the others are about 10 db less. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the specs on generators are established AT SEA LEVEL.  The higher up you go, the thinner the air gets, and the less power a non-supercharged engine can produce.  I think the rule of thumb is 3% less power for every thousand feet of elevation.  So at around 3,300 feet, you are down 10% in both horsepower and electrical power.

A generator that is capable of just barely  running an a/c at sea level might be completely incapable of running that same a/c at Denver.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

1 hour ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the specs on generators are established AT SEA LEVEL.  The higher up you go, the thinner the air gets, and the less power a non-supercharged engine can produce.  I think the rule of thumb is 3% less power for every thousand feet of elevation.  So at around 3,300 feet, you are down 10% in both horsepower and electrical power.

A generator that is capable of just barely  running an a/c at sea level might be completely incapable of running that same a/c at Denver.

Loss of power is not the only affect of high altitude operation. This is from the Champion user's manual.

Operation at High Altitude The density of air at high altitude is lower than at sea level. Engine power is reduced as the air mass and airfuel ratio decrease. Engine power and generator output will be reduced approximately 3½% for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level. This is a natural trend and cannot be changed by adjusting the engine. At high altitudes increased exhaust emissions can also result due to the increased enrichment of the air fuel ratio. Other high altitude issues can include hard starting, increased fuel consumption and spark plug fouling. To alleviate high altitude issues other than the natural power loss, Champion Power Equipment can provide a high altitude carburetor main jet. The alternative main jet and installation instructions can be obtained by contacting Customer Support.  

From the Honda manual:

HIGH ALTITUDE OPERATION

At high altitude, the standard carburetor air/fuel mixture will be too rich. Performance will decrease, and fuel consumption will increase. A very rich mixture will also foul the spark plug and cause hard starting. Operation at an altitude that differs from that at which this engine was certified, for extended periods of time, may increase emissions. High altitude performance can be improved by specific modifications to the carburetor. If you always operate your generator at altitudes above 5,000 feet (1,500 meters), have your servicing dealer perform this carburetor modification. This engine, when operated at high altitude with the carburetor modifications for high altitude use, will meet each emission standard throughout its useful life. Even with carburetor modification, engine horsepower will decrease about 3.5% for each 1,000-foot (300-meter) increase in altitude. The effect of altitude on horsepower will be greater than this if no carburetor modification is made. When the carburetor has been modified for high altitude operation, the air/fuel mixture will be too lean for low altitude use. Operation at altitudes below 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) with a modified carburetor may cause the engine to overheat and result in serious engine damage. For use at low altitudes, have your servicing dealer return the carburetor to original factory specifications.

From the RV Tech Library:

The Onan Marquis Gold series of generators uses carburetors. These gensets do have an altitude compensation adjustment on the carburetor. By dialing in a higher altitude you will lean out the mixture to prevent spark plug fouling and excessive smoke. It is very important that you also dial it back when descending to lower altitudes or else the engine will run lean and you will burn the engine's valves.

We had a 2004 Class C with an Onan 2800 genset. Spent a  lot of time at over 7000' and the carburetor adjustment seemed to work very well. With our current Yamaha 2400, I have learned to always keep some spare spark plugs.

2 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

From the RV Tech Library:

The Onan Marquis Gold series of generators uses carburetors. These gensets do have an altitude compensation adjustment on the carburetor. By dialing in a higher altitude you will lean out the mixture to prevent spark plug fouling and excessive smoke. It is very important that you also dial it back when descending to lower altitudes or else the engine will run lean and you will burn the engine's valves

I'll go along with what the RV Tech Library says, but on our Onan Marquis Gold 7000 that adjustment knob on the carb does absolutely nothing. Had 2 carbs on the POS and the same with both. It doesn't matter if it is at sea level in Yuma, AZ. or 6800' around Ely, NV. or West Yellowstone, MT.

Both Honda and Yamaha have "jet" kits available for operation at high altitude for around $9-$10. Honda tech manuals state that the jet kit is not required below 7500ft. It may improve performance between 5k and 7.5k, but is listed for operation 7500ft and above.

Having measured output at different elevations on my Yamaha... the 3% per 1000ft of elevation did not hold true.  It may be for Champions or may be mathmatically correct, and I don't know if there is some electronic wizardry going on, but in actual use there was less than 1.25% drop in output at 4600ft (Yamaha 2000).

Both the Honda and Yamaha have a parallel cable/socket option. While Yamaha doesn't offer a "companion" equivelant, it is not required for running Honda's in parallel either. It's simply a convenience and a bit of a money saver to use a standard/companion Honda set.

I'm also looking at some of the inexpensive models, some of which have high ratings over time. I can't abide a loud genset, so an inverter unit or an inverter/set is going to be my choice. I think I might have to make it a single unit that can run the A/C, Scamp recommends a 3000 watt genset for any of their A/C units equipped trailers, and 2000 for non air conditioned units. That is for the future in any event. Thanks for the great thread.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, noteven said:

A motor starter like Micro-Air manufactures is said to allow a single 2000 watt gen run a 13,500btu rv ac unit.

I went the micro-air route and my  Yamaha (and I have also tried a Honda) will only start the compressor about once every 5-6 times so not a silver bullet.

1 hour ago, jpcoll01 said:

I went the micro-air route and my  Yamaha (and I have also tried a Honda) will only start the compressor about once every 5-6 times so not a silver bullet.

My Honda 2000 will start my Penguin 2 with micro-air easy start every time,  but won't do it if in eco-mode.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Don't limit your horizons, check out the Boliy gensets lineup. They have a continous output of 3,000W, if you read the specs they outdo both Honda and Yamaha gensets of comparable weight, and electric remote start is an option. I bought one in 2008, it's still running fine although we sold our 5er in 2013, and now it's relegated to home backup duty.

I performed an at-home test and it ran a 15,500btu air conditioner and convection microwave at the same time, or that air conditioner and the 2nd 13,500btu air conditioner at the same time.

Everything electrical is user replaceable -plug N play. I have no idea the # of hours on my genset, however I have ran it powering our house until the tank rand dry, refilled tank and repeated that for a week without a hiccup from the genset. The carb has a drain screw in the bowl bottom to completely drain it W/hose directing draining gas outside the enclosure. Download the service manual for complete information.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived