Beware - Bridge Tolls

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!  We crossed the new bridge from Kentucky into Indiana in June and low and behold it is a toll bridge with NO toll booths, just a camera taking pictures and then they send you a bill.  It is all electronic.  Did not see any signs telling you about the toll ( may have not seen it as we were busy watching traffic ).  We have no choice but to drive across as it is the only way to get from Kentucky into Indiana.  Not sure if the bridge going south is toll or not.  New bridge makes the two separate bridges one way traffic.  Probably will try to avoid this area in the future, if that is possible.  There loss.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

Those bridges toll both ways. You may consider getting E-ZPass, as many toll roads are going all electronic. You can save a bit on the fee and save a LOT of time and aggravation. Plus, E-ZPass currently works in 17 states. I would imagine others will be part of the network in the future. MUCH easier to auto pay online than to watch the mail for a notice. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr
Form

We crossed that bridge this year and did see the toll rate sign before we crossed, I believe for out HDT and 5th wheel it was around $10.75 but we have EZ Pass which they accept. This was brought up on another discussion board I read and someone posted the complete rate scale and I was surprised to see they even charge more if you have a car with a loaded roof top carrier.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

We ran across probably the same bridge coming from Pigeon Forge to central Illinois earlier this year.  My GPS had given me a little blurp about a toll but I ignored it.  I believe when I got my notice in the mail it was around $12.00 for a MH pulling a trailer (5 axles).   What I did find out was that EZpass plus I-Pass will work on that bridge.  We now have our MH added to the I-pass account and mounted on the windshield.  First time across the bridge it was in the enclosed trailer on the car's windshield......daaaaa

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

21 hours ago, Fulltimer51 said:

I heard that South Dakota does not share vehicle information. Good news for tolls if true.

SD doesn't share vehicle information relating to automated speed violations and such automated devices are illegal in the State.  

We, also, had a TX toll sent to us by mail; one that hadn't properly been read by the TX-Tag system.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

9 hours ago, docj said:

We, also, had a TX toll sent to us by mail; one that hadn't properly been read by the TX-Tag system.

I got a bogus one from a toll road in Tx on the same day I was buying gas in Bartlett Tn.  They had a picture  and upon checking it, obviously it was wrong.  It seems they have a problem due to temprory plates like from a dealer or paper temps before you receive your permanant plates.

5 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I got a bogus one from a toll road in Tx on the same day I was buying gas in Bartlett Tn.  They had a picture  and upon checking it, obviously it was wrong.  It seems they have a problem due to temprory plates like from a dealer or paper temps before you receive your permanant plates.

Ours was legit.  I had incorrectly entered one of my license plate numbers on my Harris County toll authority account.  Even though the system read the transponder correctly, it wouldn't bill my account because the plates didn't agree with what was on file.  So I got a bill in the mail through South Dakota where the vehicle is registered.  I never would have thought that this would have been the way the system worked.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I got a bogus bill from MD once. I have never been to MD. I called them and the picture was a white Honda. I have a Class A pulling a black Jeep Wrangler. They dismissed the ticket for non payment of the toll.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We went from KY to IN earlier this year. As we were planning our route we saw the toll bridge information, so planned the route AROUND the toll bridge. It probably added a few miles to the trip, but I'm guessing that we saved money overall.

I don't like driving in big cities, either in the car or in the MH + car, so we are now planning routes that avoid such places.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 3 months later...

i hate new laws, but need a fed one giving everyone clear notice about a up coming toll. (as in three foot tall letters, first sign one mile before and again a quarter mile before the last off ramp),   so they can get safely off before the toll rd.

we already pay rd taxes, no need to pay again to use public roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago, when KY had all that construction ongoing,  new bridge wasn't even open, KYDOT had a detour sign directing me to take a exit on S I 65 from I 64 W, That detour routed me into downtown Louisville, you shoulda seen the pedestrians look at the 40'DP towing a chevy truck. It took me a half hour to get back to an interstate.

Those two I 65 bridges are on the KY side of the state border, KY sets the tolls and controls the bridges. jp suggested a good alternative, it perhaps adds 20 miles vs staying on I 65. In a few years KY and IN will have the bypass on the East side( I 264) completed,  it also is expected to be a toll bridge across the Ohio river. I wonder if the proposal by the previous president to make all interstates toll roads is taking root at the state level?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/18/2018 at 8:48 AM, docj said:

SD doesn't share vehicle information relating to automated speed violations and such automated devices are illegal in the State.  

That would be good news as I think a speed camera got me in MD a couple of months ago in my toad.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 8/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, Red Crewzer said:

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!  We crossed the new bridge from Kentucky into Indiana in June and low and behold it is a toll bridge with NO toll booths, just a camera taking pictures and then they send you a bill.  It is all electronic.  Did not see any signs telling you about the toll ( may have not seen it as we were busy watching traffic ).  We have no choice but to drive across as it is the only way to get from Kentucky into Indiana.  Not sure if the bridge going south is toll or not.  New bridge makes the two separate bridges one way traffic.  Probably will try to avoid this area in the future, if that is possible.  There loss.

I just have avoid tolls in my Garmin Dezl.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3