Our forums have been spammed!

RV_

Hey guys, the forums have been spammed in Chinese! The poster "youmanage" joined an hour ago and is posting everywhere with different universities listed. I would strongly advise users not open the Chunese posts in case they are rigged.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This is the 3rd time that the forum has a spammer.  Always in a foreign language, Chinese or something like it.

i just report the posts.

hopefully a moderator is on this late and can delete the threads and boot the member. Then can try to block there IP address, but more then likely they are spoofing there IP

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

hopefully a moderator is on this late and can delete the threads and boot the member.

We do as soon as we see them.

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

Then can try to block there IP address, but more then likely they are spoofing there IP

Assuming this can be done on these forums, it's beyond the weekend moderators' ability to do.  That would be something that would have to be handled from the Escapees office in Livingston.

The better solution, IMO -- and, again, assuming it can be done on this forum software -- is to either limit new poster's to some limited number of posts per day for a couple of days, don't allow any posts at all for a set period of time after registering, and/or set up a "prove you're human" system (that's assuming, of course, that these spam posts are being made by bots and not real live people).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

Sad thing is that an hour later you get spammed again.....

It mostly happens at night or early morning. Probably because they know it will likely take longer to be caught. The fact that the posts are in a language not understood here is pretty strong support for the belief that it is from an offshore computer bot that doesn't know or care who is the target. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

IMO administration should give a few trusted members the ability to block the spammers. There are a few of us that are on early in am, but we are Powerless.  Along with the limit on number of post per day until a ? number of post are made for a new member. 

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I must have good settings as I have not seen a single spam message.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

when translated this is what they are about

Forged Canada Qualifications q/微501479313 St. Francis Xavier University Diploma transcript diploma Canada degree certificate Imitation Canadian fake diploma graduating certificate for foreign university graduation certificate transcript, on behalf of returning personnel certificate / Canadian study abroad qualification production...

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

IMO there should be something like Captcha (sp?) in use to join the forums. I just joined a forum and it made me go through 3 times (although I got each one right) BEFORE it sent out an email for address verification. I understand not wanting to make it too difficult to join but I see nothing wrong with some precautions to insure that the memberships are not being granted to bots. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 8/16/2018 at 6:59 PM, Kirk Wood said:

It mostly happens at night or early morning. Probably because they know it will likely take longer to be caught. The fact that the posts are in a language not understood here is pretty strong support for the belief that it is from an offshore computer bot that doesn't know or care who is the target. 

So the Chinese food joke went right over your head?

Aw man,. Now I want Chinese food.....

Wow! I didn't get any emails from them. For a second I thought they were getting email addresses too. Maybe they thought the forums were for actual escapees from China going to Canada?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Maybe they thought the forums were for actual escapees from China going to Canada?

Or they took the computer term "drill down" literally and though if they drilled down long enough they'd come out onto a computer on the other side of the world....

Archived