When are you required to become a TX resident?

wheast

wheast.

The company you are going to work for.  ASK THEM.

if it is common for then to hire people  (non contract)? then they probably have info already on file. (ie) legal, human resource's,

1. ask them. they are your employer not RV travelers.

2. can't believe they are refusing/unwilling to help you with your questions.

3.  finally if you did not ask them! then shame on you.

4. is family moving with you?.  if yes. then pay your dues for the services Texas is providing. education/emergency services/ and what ever.

finally let the mud slinging and rock throwing begin. This is an RV site. not a legal mumbo-jumbo. Yes we help but sometimes talking to your future company works good. 

P.s. member since 2011 but don't post much, except when the BS gets deep. Ha Ha !!

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I like you Phil, but right downright unneighborly.

It's his job to be unneighborly.... Writing all those truckers nasty tickets because their crap is falling apart, 

Not discussing truckers. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

35 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Not discussing truckers. 

But we are talking about the law. The LEO is not the one to make the law and he should not be choosing what laws to enforce or who to enforce them with. Why should you, or any other person who chose to work in TX or any other state, be exempt from the laws of the state which apply to those who domicile there? You come here to live, to use our roads and public facilities and you even expect the LEO's here to protect you from criminals, but do not what then to apply the laws you do not like......  I have to side with Phil. He either does the job he is paid to do, or he does not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We discussing docimle ruling, right? Sure of someone comes here to set up residence, sure. But to work a temporary job. That's crazy. Thousands of out of state workers come to Texas. Work the job and go home. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Actually we were discussing "garaging" of a vehicle.  You pay Texas sales taxes when you work in Texas.  If there was a Texas income tax, you would pay that when you work in Texas.  Vehicle licensing is a tax and you are subject to it when you work in Texas.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

32 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

So you stating all these thousands of construction workers should register their vechiles in Texas. Not happening.

And those are the people that get acquainted with Phil and his co-workers. If you don't like TX laws, don't come. Same for any state. There is no reason you should be allowed to use the streets and public facilities as well as draw your pay and not also pay your share. And that is the reason that Texans are paying people like Phil to do what they do.

36 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

So you stating all these thousands of construction workers should register their vechiles in Texas. Not happening.

YES.  If they don’t they they are rolling the dice.   BTW, to my mind, 18 months is not temporary.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

So member, all you work campers, to register your vechiles while you work in Texas. Lol. Kirk, there is not enough qualified construction workers in Texas to supply the jobs. That why pay better to attract workers. If they stay away, as you suggested, the work would be farmed out to Phillipanoes. Happened years ago

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

So member, all you work campers, to register your vechiles while you work in Texas. Lol. Kirk, there is not enough qualified construction workers in Texas to supply the jobs. That why pay better to attract workers. If they stay away, as you suggested, the work would be farmed out to Phillipanoes. Happened years ago

Work campers tend not to sign on for more than three months. So the 90 day exemption works for them. Eighteen months does not entitle you to the exemption. 

You say you get paid better in Texas. So why resist paying your share? Either work only 90 days or pay up. Don't move to Texas for a year and a half then say you are not actually living there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

That why pay better to attract workers. If they stay away, as you suggested,

I didn't suggest that at all, you did. I simply said that if they want the work and the pay in TX they should also pay the required fees, even when that includes members of this forum. You want the paycheck, pay your fees. Do you then think that you should pay income tax to the states that you work in when they have it? If so why should we not expect you to pay the vehicle fees that we have since we do not charge you any state income tax? Perhaps you would like it better if we stopped asking you to register your car in TX while living and working here and just institute an income tax to be paid by those who do not choose to register their vehicles in TX? 

When I was hiring crews to work 7 x 12's  for a year or more, with time & half after the first 40, plus $100 a day per diem, I got no complaints about changing their DL or registration; whether it was TX, NV, UT or Ca.

Jim

2 hours ago, JRP said:

When I was hiring crews to work 7 x 12's  for a year or more, with time & half after the first 40, plus $100 a day per diem, I got no complaints about changing their DL or registration; whether it was TX, NV, UT or Ca.

When did they have time to do this. They don't. So according to ya'll I should register in LA now being I am working at West Lake and then when I return to Texas in October, register back in Texas. That is stupid.

You know, the original poster simply asked, "What's the law about this in TX?"  This is the law in TX.  You think it's a stupid law.  Got that.  There are a lot of laws I think are stupid, but they're still the law.

As far as registering in LA, I don't really care if you do or not.  I don't have to pay the fine if you don't and get caught.

So can we stop flogging a dead horse, now?

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

1 hour ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

So can we stop flogging a dead horse, now?

Oh come on now. Where is the fun in that? :P

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

15 hours ago, staffnon said:

wheast.

The company you are going to work for.  ASK THEM.

if it is common for then to hire people  (non contract)? then they probably have info already on file. (ie) legal, human resource's,

1. ask them. they are your employer not RV travelers.

2. can't believe they are refusing/unwilling to help you with your questions.

3.  finally if you did not ask them! then shame on you.

4. is family moving with you?.  if yes. then pay your dues for the services Texas is providing. education/emergency services/ and what ever.

finally let the mud slinging and rock throwing begin. This is an RV site. not a legal mumbo-jumbo. Yes we help but sometimes talking to your future company works good. 

P.s. member since 2011 but don't post much, except when the BS gets deep. Ha Ha !!

Sorry for the BS, staffnon.  Good-bye.

wheast. I asked what I thought was legitimate questions.  Did you ask your future company for info? Also why goodbye??.  If you don't like my wording then use any Dictionary and or Thesaurus and pick any word or meaning from them (as long as you keep the same intend of meaning)

have a great day. Oh by the way keep us informed of what your future company has for info on prospective/future employees to help them transition into Texas.

If the info is informative then maybe it could be tagged in resource guide for other people to reference for general info about temp work in Texas.

Again waiting for info that you have gotten from your future company.

I see what you said about what he thought about how the subject went off rail.  But also concerned about why goodbye?. goodbye to me? or goodbye to the forum?.

This forum has good info.  But yes sometimes it wanders from point A to B and everywhere in-between but fun to read.  

And yes waiting for info about what the company has to say to help future employees

After reading through this thread......I am stunned at the reactions.

My situation is a “little” different as I am not moving to a given state for an employment position, but based on the laws quoted earlier, I am non-compliant pretty much wherever the company sends me to work.  I work for a company in Indiana with locations around the country:  Indiana, Virginia, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Arizona, and Mexico.  My domicile is in Indiana, my checks come out of Indiana, and my taxes are paid in Indiana.  My typical assignment times range from 1 month to two years.  Some years I may work in 3-4 states.  My last assignment was in AZ.  I left after working there for 2 years and never registered my vehicles nor became a resident.  I have now been working in McAllen, TX for the last 10 months and have not registered my vehicles in Texas.  I may be non-compliant, but in the last 10 years, I have never had a problem.  The only place the company’s financial counsel has told me to make sure I paid taxes was while I was working in Mexico for more than the permissible 183 days.  Here in McAllen, TX, there are a number to CBP leo’s on 90 days temporary assigned duty.  The two I spoke with said they are not aware of having to re-register or re-license in Texas 

Right or wrong, the AZ RV park I was in had folks from around the country staying there for extended periods of time while working at the copper mines.  To my knowledge, none of us had any issues with the leo’s......other than a few traffic tickets. I have not spoken of this to any of the other transient workers at the RV park, but I can see their plates are from A number of non-Texas states.

This is just my perspective, but unless the company’s legal counsel advises us otherwise, I have no intention of getting a new drivers license and re-registering my tractor, fiver, car, and motorcycles every time I change states.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

And that is why I stated it's a non issuse for construction workers. Don't see how we can say this was derailed. We construction workers do the same the OP does. We travel to various states for employment. I have never had a problem. Have not heard of any of us having an issue. Now if the OP actually does stay in Texas 3 years, it would be advantageous to register in Texas. 

One thing that has changed is that it use to be you needed a 'local' license in order to be able to write checks for groceries, etc.  So that was one of the first things you had to do, get new bank accounts set up (out-of-state banks were frowned upon), get new driver's licenses and new vehicle registration.   We moved so often that I never had a DL expire, just moved and got a new one.   Now, on one writes checks anymore, ATMs are everywhere or use cash back at the grocery store with a debit card from a bank anywhere in the country.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, staffnon said:

This forum has good info.  But yes sometimes it wanders from point A to B and everywhere in-between but fun to read.  

It is a great deal like conversations around a campfire. The subject slowly migrates, usually due to side issues or some related thing that comes up. I have never really thought of that as a bad thing, but perhaps some folks feel that it is. To each their own, I believe. 

Archived