Broken Waste Valves

DKRITTER

We have had waste valve issues with our 5th wheel from day one. At Christmas the the cable for one of the tanks came apart. When we got home I took all the plastic down and replaced all 3 cables with Valterra solid wire cables and they have worked great until now....

We were at a wedding and noticed a drip from the underbelly so we kept the tanks empty and when I got home I once again took the plastic down and at least two of the three valves are cracked. There was still a small amount of drainage so I'm waiting a few days until they dry out.

Any idea what would have caused them to crack?

On the tank side of the black tank a couple of ears on the flange have been broken off and it looked like the valve itself was cracked. I don't think I tightened them excessively when I put them back together and I was very liberal with plumbers grease to hold the rubber gaskets in.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

If you have room to install fernco rubber fittings in the sewer lines, it will make installing new flange fittings much easier .

There could be an alignment issue with the plumbing. The use of the rubber fittings will allow some give.

Not a fun job,.   Vern

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

If you have room to install fernco rubber fittings in the sewer lines, it will make installing new flange fittings much easier .

There could be an alignment issue with the plumbing. The use of the rubber fittings will allow some give.

Not a fun job,.   Vern

Excellent suggestion 

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

18 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It takes very little pressure to clamp the flanges to the gate valve itself.  As soon as the flanges touch, you have compressed the seal and it should be tight.  So you may have overtightened them.  

I'm afraid you are correct.

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I guess my name is Mongo.

I crawled under the trailer this afternoon and took everything apart and most of the flanges were either cracked or broken. My only assumption is when I redid them in March I over tightened them.

All new valves and plumbing coming up.

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I keep coming back to this and I really don't think I grossly over tightened all 12 bolts. I wonder if it was the new rubber gaskets?  All 3 valves were Bristol brand and I replaced the gaskets with Valterra brand units, could it be possible the Valterra gasket wasn't compatible with the Bristol valve/flange?

Regardless all this is a real PIA. It would have been great if Forrest River had put in good valves to start with.

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

2 hours ago, DKRITTER said:

I keep coming back to this and I really don't think I grossly over tightened all 12 bolts. I wonder if it was the new rubber gaskets?  All 3 valves were Bristol brand and I replaced the gaskets with Valterra brand units, could it be possible the Valterra gasket wasn't compatible with the Bristol valve/flange?

Regardless all this is a real PIA. It would have been great if Forrest River had put in good valves to start with.

Oops.... They are not compatible.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 8/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Oops.... They are not compatible.  

Wow Jim, you really know your sh....uh, valves :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived