Texas Inspection Question on Renewal

SWharton

We are renewing for the first time and I see on the renewal an "Inspection Fee" for $7.50. Does this mean I don't need to pay for inspections when I take the vehicle in? 

I also see a "Processing and Handling Fee" is that on there because the renewal was mailed to me(USPS) rather than emailed?

Thanks

May be different by county, but in Galveston County, you take your coach to an inspection station and they check the basic operations. horn, lights etc.  No road test or smog [if diesel]. You pay them $7.50 and they send pass/fall to DOT which allows you to renew. 

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

We renew on-line rather than by mail. When renewing, we "digitally sign" a statement that the vehicle is currently out of state. Polk County mails out the sticker and registration and we stop at an inspection station the next time we enter Texas. Since there are no longer any physical inspection stickers, all this is tracked in a computer database that LEOs have access to if needed. I don't remember how the inspection fees were handled the last time we renewed.

Rob 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

31 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I renewed online but they sent me a paper copy of the renewal which I am trying to get rid of but don't see an option to do this. I can't believe they don't have this option, who wants paper mail.

They don't have the option.   Just celebrate the fact that you can renew online - and let it go.  The 'processing and handling fee' will be there whether it is mail to you or emailed to you.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

This is Polk County. May be different. I didn't realize that each county could be different in Texas.

You need to check, some counties do not even have auto inspection at all. Galveston county has either OBD two reader, or rollers and tailpipe. One county over, nothing at all.  As rob said, no inspection stickers, LEO"s know if you have current registration, you must have had an inspection. 

They need to send yo the registration sticker to put on your windshield.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

6 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Polk has an inspection and I have no problems receiving the sticker via mail, but the rest I would like to do electronically. No go for Texas though.

Must be Polk County, I get paper but pay and renew online. Go to  texas.gov.

55 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I have no problem paying  online it is that they send the renewal notice via USPS, not electronically.

When you renew online you will see a box that asks if you want to be reminded next year by email. 

Anyway, a month or so before registration due, it posts to the tex.gov site. I put a reminder in my Google calendar for the next year just to be sure

14 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I did the reminder and that will get rid of all mail except for the stickers?

Don't think so, I still get a snail mail renewal, but I trash it and do the renewal online.

The inspections used to be $14.50 and you paid at the inspection site.  Now, you pay $7.00 at the inspection site and $7.50 when you register.  I may be off by a dollar or so, but that's basically how it works now, I believe.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Seeing as I've been out of state for 3 years. Mine is mailed to my son's residence, which I claim as mine also. He sends it on to me where ever I am. I fill out the statement that says I currently out of the state, send them a check for the renewal registration fee, I do not include the fee for a state inspection, A few week later I receive the renewal registration sticker.

Note: Now I've learned one important lesson, You need to include a note, and put it inside the return mail telling them where to mail the renewal sticker too. Because if you do not the next year your renewal might get sent to the location of where you mailed it from. That happened to me then first year. Just luckily I had returned to the same place the next year.

But the 3rd year, I  had sold the RV at the  end of the 2nd year , and they had sent the renewal to that same address. Now if the whole process could be completely done by email it would be a whole lot simpler.

x2 for Captain Happy, do the registration online.

I emailed Polk County and the state will  only mail out registration renewals, no electronic options. I am surprised by this.....................I did sign up for the reminder so I hopefully will not have to wait for  the paper to show up.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:57 AM, SWharton said:

I didn't realize that each county could be different in Texas.

I do not believe that they are. 

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

I emailed Polk County and the state will  only mail out registration renewals, no electronic options. 

The state mails things to the registered address to verify it is valid. Registrations are issued by the state but handled by county tax offices and the county adds it's fee which does vary somewhat by county.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, SWharton said:

VA has State DMV offices all over the state, county has no involvement.

TX does also. It is where you get your driver's license. I have never lived in VA, but do know that county tax offices issue license plates in WY as well and I believe that was also true in CO and KS. I would expect that to be the case in any state where there are county taxes on vehicles that are paid at registration time.

In the Minneapolis area we have a DMV office in our suburb where we get our driver's licenses. We get our vehicle license plates/tabs from a county government center in the next suburb over.

Linda Sand

On edit: Both are issued by the state.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, SWharton said:

All the car/title/plates are issued by the state. 

I'm not aware of any state that doesn't issue of all license plates, even though the actual registration is more commonly done in the county tax office and they collect both the state and the county portions. 

Archived