Can we have a "toy" thread, I need education RZR's, Maverick's

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Well.................................I just made an offer on a 2018 Maverick X3 turboed Rock Crawler.  We'll see what happens.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, a buddy of mine just built a new high class RV park in Eastern TN that is the gateway to over 900 miles of ATV trails, one of the premier riding locations in the US. Awesome trails, great facilities and this new park has 100' long by 40' wide sites. Super nice and ride your ATVs right out of the site. 

http://ridgesatroyalblue.com/wired/

Pioneer, TN is about 45 min north of Knoxville, TN, right off I-75. Easy in/out. I had my rig up there last Thanksgiving and it was super fun and nice. They just put together a short video intro of the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ridges+At+Royal+Blue/@36.4357786,-84.2537638,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x885cf855a0ff11fb:0x89fb4ae416280f1c!8m2!3d36.5061589!4d-84.142023

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Howdy lockmup68,

Thanks for the link and the short video, that place looks like a lot of FUN.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

True story, with the Dear Wife's blessing, I just made the deal on the CAN AM X3 turboed Rock Crawler.  They are installing the street legal kit, I pick it up next Tuesday.  This means a MAJOR change in plans for my up coming fall trip, I now have in the toy hauler a Ural sidecar rig, my Harley Road King Classic and a Rokon.  The new plan is to load the CAN AM and a Ural sidecar rig, it will be a tight squeeze but they will fit.  OK, now lets talk about an HDT-UTV rally, should I start a new thread?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

True story, with the Dear Wife's blessing, I just made the deal on the CAN AM X3 turboed Rock Crawler.  They are installing the street legal kit, I pick it up next Tuesday.  This means a MAJOR change in plans for my up coming fall trip, I now have in the toy hauler a Ural sidecar rig, my Harley Road King Classic and a Rokon.  The new plan is to load the CAN AM and a Ural sidecar rig, it will be a tight squeeze but they will fit.  OK, now lets talk about an HDT-UTV rally, should I start a new thread?

Dave

Congrats on the purchase.  You should have a lot of fun with that rig.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 minute ago, Chad Heiser said:

Congrats on the purchase.  You should have a lot of fun with that rig.

Howdy Chad,

I have been thinking about this for the last 6 months, have spend many hours on the web, reading everything I could, talked to many people, looked at many different rigs but when I went down to look at the X3 900 HO, they had the X3 turboed RC, sitting right in front of the door you had to walk around it to enter the store, talk about how to advertise.  After looking at the 900 HO, which is a very stripped down model kinda like the Model T, Ford Donna says "What about that one in the front of the store."  I said, "Yes dear lets go look at that one."

I am hoping this will open the door to me and Donna enjoying some time in the southwest during the miserable wet months of the Nor-Wet winters.  I have always enjoyed riding my dirt bikes and the Ural's in the desert now with this thing Donna can accompany me as we look for old mines, ghost towns and such.  As I don't know the first thing about driving one of these things its going to be a pretty steep learning curve and I want to be SAFE while doing so holding my juvenile instincts in check is going to present a real challenge.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Dave, 

According to Chad and Rick, don't skimp on a new helmet.....

Definitely get a helmet.  The role cages on these new machines tend to lull people into a false sense of security.  People think they won't bang their head on the ground in the event of an "incident" like they would when riding a quad or a motorcycle.  Well all that metal in the role cage is just as dangerous to hit your head on as the ground is and you are more likely to bang on the metal than on the ground during that "incident" anyway.  I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here, but I am speaking from personal and professional experience here.

On Edit:

I'd also recommend upgrading to at least 4 point harnesses if it only comes with seat belts.  These machines are built well and are pretty safe, but they are also very powerful and can get you into trouble  quicker than you can react (if you are unlucky).  Even at low speed, it is nice to have the added safety of a harness system.  I wouldn't ride mine without harnesses.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Dave, 

According to Chad and Rick, don't skimp on a new helmet.....

Howdy Jim,

I am well stocked in GOOD riding gear, helmet included.  That being said, I do NOT plan to run this rig fast or hard, to darn old and brittle for that kinda foolishness, stuff happens and its best to be properly prepared when and if it does.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

45 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Definitely get a helmet.  The role cages on these new machines tend to lull people into a false sense of security.  People think they won't bang their head on the ground in the event of an "incident" like they would when riding a quad or a motorcycle.  Well all that metal in the role cage is just as dangerous to hit your head on as the ground is and you are more likely to bang on the metal than on the ground during that "incident" anyway.  I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here, but I am speaking from personal and professional experience here.

On Edit:

I'd also recommend upgrading to at least 4 point harnesses if it only comes with seat belts.  These machines are built well and are pretty safe, but they are also very powerful and can get you into trouble  quicker than you can react (if you are unlucky).  Even at low speed, it is nice to have the added safety of a harness system.  I wouldn't ride mine without harnesses.

and light bar, and stereo, and subwoofer, and LED antennas, and lift kit, and RCMs, and bigger tires, and beadlocks, and swampers, and...... 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

7 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

and light bar, and stereo, and subwoofer, and LED antennas, and lift kit, and RCMs, and bigger tires, and beadlocks, and swampers, and...... 

Howdy lockmup68,

That is why I bought the rig I did, it comes with what I need and other then a decent windshield I don't have any wants that have to be fulfilled in order to have FUN. 

I played the "Power-Tire" game for years with Jeeps, I am well aware of the fact that if you can spin the tires you need bigger tires and all the stuff that goes with that, then again if you can't spin the tires you need more POWER and all the things that goes with that.  Been there, done that, NEVER again.  Well at least that is the song I am singing now....................

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Recently, a friend was driving his Razor on the road near here and rolled it going through a turn.  It smashed the roll cage and killed him.

Roll cages might give us a false sense of security.  When we ride our motorcycles, we realize, and accept, vulnerability.  The cage might tempt us to do dumb stuff.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Dave,

Recently, a friend was driving his Razor on the road near here and rolled it going through a turn.  It smashed the roll cage and killed him.

Roll cages might give us a false sense of security.  When we ride our motorcycles, we realize, and accept, vulnerability.  The cage might tempt us to do dumb stuff.

Howdy rickeieio,

After 40 years of building-driving Jeeps in nasty situations I am well aware of the dangers involved and how roll cages can help but unless you have a full on Baja worthy rig your chances of getting badly injured or killed are HIGH when doing stupid stuff.  Hopefully I am beyond that stage of life, what time I have left I want to enjoy I am NOT going to do things that have a high degree of risk in shortening that time.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hey Dave!

Wish I could have put my 2 cents in before you pulled the trigger. I am pretty sure I gave you a ride in my midsize LE Ranger. That being said, sliding into the seat instead of dropping into it is much easier as we age. If your not going to jump or trail faster than 40mph, a utility cross may have been more useful and comfortable. Sure would be easier to carry the dogs or supplies and they are "just" as capable only at lower speeds.

Personally I am a Polaris man, a General or 1000 or loaded 900 Ranger will do anything you want, reliably! I "do" like the Honda Pioneer 1000 special edition also, can't go wrong with a Honda!

Did you have a chance to see any of the Washington state UTV groups/forums/boards?

They have "many" great rides, weekdays and weekends. From mild to wild, short to over 250 mile routes (some Including street travel).

Since you made your decision, please get it street licensed. Best fun "dingy" ever! If you get it licensed here? Push for the "white motorcycle plate" not the green restricted. Anywhere/ anytime use (on 35 mph and under roads) then!

Good luck my friend! 😁

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

4 minutes ago, CDR said:

Hey Dave!

Wish I could have put my 2 cents in before you pulled the trigger. I am pretty sure I gave you a ride in my midsize LE Ranger. That being said, sliding into the seat instead of dropping into it is much easier as we age. If your not going to jump or trail faster than 40mph, a utility cross may have been more useful and comfortable. Sure would be easier to carry the dogs or supplies and they are "just" as capable only at lower speeds.

Personally I am a Polaris man, a General or 1000 or loaded 900 Ranger will do anything you want, reliably! I "do" like the Honda Pioneer 1000 special edition also, can't go wrong with a Honda!

Did you have a chance to see any of the Washington state UTV groups/forums/boards?

They have "many" great rides, weekdays and weekends. From mild to wild, short to over 250 mile routes (some Including street travel).

Since you made your decision, please get it street licensed. Best fun "dingy" ever! If you get it licensed here? Push for the "white motorcycle plate" not the green restricted. Anywhere/ anytime use (on 35 mph and under roads) then!

Good luck my friend! 😁

Curt

Howdy Curt,

I am being totally honest when I say I was looking for a "TOY", I know full well that there are more practical vehicles out there would suit my skill level and needs but they wouldn't satisfy my wants.  At this stage of my life if I am responsible I can easily meet my needs, its time to enjoy what time I have left and start to work toward getting rid of those wants.  The seating position of the Maverick is one of the main reasons I went with the CAN AM, it was much more comfortable to me.

I am having the dealer install the street legal kit, I have no idea what type of plate it will come with, don't know if a person has a choice in the matter.

I have not looked for any local UTV web pages, didn't know there were any, when you have time if you could share some links with me I sure would appreciate it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congrats Cob on the new toy. If you get through Colorado give us a shout and we can do some rides. Heading out tomorrow for a four day camping trip.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

38 minutes ago, crazybanshee said:

Congrats Cob on the new toy. If you get through Colorado give us a shout and we can do some rides. Heading out tomorrow for a four day camping trip.

Howdy crazybanshee,

I seem to pass through Colorado at least once a year sometime more often.  I want to find folks who do the UTV thing and would love to hook up with them when I am in their area.  If you have room for me to park and are up for it, PM me your contact information and maybe we can work out a visit.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,
Congrats on the new toy......you will amazed at the performance of these units. There are a few of us that meet a week before the WCR and do some riding in the higher elevations in NV. You may want to join us. I have about 20K in optional equipment on our RZR 1000S. The best money spent was on the 6-point harnesses and helmets. Can replace the SxS and all the toys but not if your dead! This is from first hand experience in what could have been a tragic result without the safety equipment in our case. This was also  not a very high speed but happened very quickly.

Dave,

Congratulations on the new toy!  I am sure you, Donna and Newt will enjoy it very much.  Always listen to the inner child, just let the adult make the decisions and you will be fine and still have fun.

Also glad to hear that Donna has set a retirement date and should be joining you on the road more often now.  I think you both will enjoy y'alls new toy.  She may even surprise you and want one of her very own.  Beware it can/will happen.  Just ask Alicia.  She will tell you in a heartbeat that the Kubota XTC1100 we have is hers, not ours and defiantly not mine (except when it needs maintenance or fuel)!

--Rick

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Dave, as Chad mentioned regarding the seat belt, I believe you have the 4 or 6 point system in that one.  I was watching a video of the opening of a 2018, and as he slid in the seat a little later, it was mentioned about the seat belt.  Does yours have it?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

19 hours ago, RickS said:

Dave,
Congrats on the new toy......you will amazed at the performance of these units. There are a few of us that meet a week before the WCR and do some riding in the higher elevations in NV. You may want to join us. I have about 20K in optional equipment on our RZR 1000S. The best money spent was on the 6-point harnesses and helmets. Can replace the SxS and all the toys but not if your dead! This is from first hand experience in what could have been a tragic result without the safety equipment in our case. This was also  not a very high speed but happened very quickly.

Howdy Rick,

I am being honest when I say that I know this thing is going to scare the crap out of me, my sport bikes did the same thing, I never crashed one, I am still alive and I plan to keep it that way for as long as I am able.  I have ALWAYS had a healthy respect for machinery, don't mean I don't push the envelope now and then but as I have grown older I have also realized that getting hurt is easier, healing takes longer, I have slowed down considerably.

I would really like to hook up with you folks next year when you do the Nevada thing, I'll probably be the boat anchor of the group and will probably pass on some of the things you do but it will still be FUN.

This rig came with what looks to be a very well made 4 point harnesses, I already have good helmets and other riding gear so I should be covered in that regard, probably should get Donna a good helmet.

If its something you don't mind sharing I would like to know what happened to your rig, must have been bad to total it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, RickW said:

Dave,

Congratulations on the new toy!  I am sure you, Donna and Newt will enjoy it very much.  Always listen to the inner child, just let the adult make the decisions and you will be fine and still have fun.

Also glad to hear that Donna has set a retirement date and should be joining you on the road more often now.  I think you both will enjoy y'alls new toy.  She may even surprise you and want one of her very own.  Beware it can/will happen.  Just ask Alicia.  She will tell you in a heartbeat that the Kubota XTC1100 we have is hers, not ours and defiantly not mine (except when it needs maintenance or fuel)!

--Rick

Howdy Rick,

Words of wisdom to which  I will listen.

Yes, now that Donna has finally had ENOUGH of work I am really looking forward to us being able to travel in the miserable months and get OUT OF the Nor-Wet when is constantly raining.  We are kinda planning on doing the Quartzite thing this coming February a bunch of Ural folks are going to have a small gathering and have the XRC should open up a whole new world for us.

Well all I can say is if Donna wants her own UTV she's going to have to buy a truck and trailer to tow it, my toy hauler garage is only 18 feet long, the XRC is 11 feet so that only leaves 7 feet for other toys.  I built the truck bed as short as possible leaving about 6 inches per side of clearance for the Smart Car, so can't haul another UTV on the deck.  Of course we could get another trailer that would hold two UTV but then Donna would have to do with out a bathroom and kitchen, I don't think that is going to happen.  Oh, your not the only one who has to do maintenance on "HER" stuff but she is a darn good cook so I guess it all works out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, as Chad mentioned regarding the seat belt, I believe you have the 4 or 6 point system in that one.  I was watching a video of the opening of a 2018, and as he slid in the seat a little later, it was mentioned about the seat belt.  Does yours have it?

Howdy Rocky,

Yup, 4 point harness, looks to be well made and anchored solidly.  I had the 5 point setup back when I was into racing Jeeps but I think this will be sufficient for what I want to do, I don't plan to drive this thing anywhere near its limits.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Yes, now that Donna has finally had ENOUGH of work I am really looking forward to us being able to travel in the miserable months and get OUT OF the Nor-Wet when is constantly raining.  We are kinda planning on doing the Quartzite thing this coming February a bunch of Ural folks are going to have a small gathering and have the XRC should open up a whole new world for us.

Dave,
You should spend some time around Lake Havasu this winter.  There is a lot of stuff going on.  Balloon festival, fire works extravaganza and a lot of other things to do.  I usually boondock north of town at Lone Tree BLM Jan-Feb.  From where I camp I can ride in any direction.  Hope to be there this year if the house build doesn't hold me up.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived