Can we have a "toy" thread, I need education RZR's, Maverick's

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I looked all over the site, couldn't find a toy thread in any of them, as many of us tow toy haulers and I know at least a few of us carry UTV's, if it's not stretching the rules to far I'd like to get a thread going on the different types of UTV's 1000cc two seat RZR's and the 900cc two seat Maverick's in particular.

I am in the process of thinning my herd of motorcycles and have really got the URGE to join the hot rod RZR, Maverick, drivers.  I'd really like to go with a turbo-charged rig but man are those things EXPENSIVE.  I was really interested in the 1000cc RZR, then I saw a CAN-AM 900cc Maverick, that thing really pushes my buttons.

Those that are experienced with these types of rigs, for my proposed use, I am NOT going to race it, I am looking for something that Donna, and I can have fun exploring desert roads, forest service roads, some beach running I am NOT into sand dune climbing, would I be satisfied with the normally aspirated engine of 90-100 horse power, do I really need the 150-170 horse power rig to have FUN?

Those of you who have these types of vehicles, which brand do you recommend, things you would buy if you had it to do over again, things you would avoid, I am NOT looking to beat the hell out of a rig so what are the normal maintenance routines needed to keep a rig running well and how difficult is it?

Thanks for any information you can share, if this type of thread doesn't belong in this forum please delete it.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, either a RZR or a CanAm will give you what you are looking for.  They both have some similarities, but also some differences.  The biggest differences to me were the seating positions between the two and along with that the visibility out of them.  The RZR is a more up right seating position with less visibility hindrances (in my opinion).  The CanAm is more of a low slung laid back seating position.  It comes down to personal preference between the two.  Neither of them has a clear advantage in performance.  One will do some things better than the other and vice versa.  It is like a Ford/Chevy debate.  Go out and sit in/ride in both and see which one fits you (and Donna) the best and go for it.  They are a blast to run.  The turbocharged versions of both of them run very fast, but a normally aspirated 1000/900 cc unit will scare the crap out of you almost as much running full out (of course they will just be back behind those of us in Turbos).  ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

6 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

🎱

I don't do facebook

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Chad,

I lust for a turbo-ed rig, I could get real world use and FUN out of a normally aspirated rig.  I have no interest in climbing big sand dunes, don't want to race so a regular engine would work well for me.  I have found a local shop that has two left over 2018 CAN-AM Maverick X3 900 HO, models on sale, 15K rather then 25-30K for the turbo versions.

I have ridden in and drove a RZR 1000 XP, it was an older rig 2011, nice shape lots of extras but around here such a rig is going for 12-14K for a bit more I can have a brand new rig that hasn't been beat on.  Selling the Freightliner has left me with a pocket full of money and its burning a hole in my pocket.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We have a CanAm Defender 800.  This is more utility than sport, but I can speak to the quality of this rig's build.  I am still very impressed with how well it was made compared to some of the other offerings I looked at. 

We needed a 12' garage for this to fit, however.  If you are planning on putting one in the trailer, be sure to test fit it before committing.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

4 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

We have a CanAm Defender 800.  This is more utility than sport, but I can speak to the quality of this rig's build.  I am still very impressed with how well it was made compared to some of the other offerings I looked at. 

We needed a 12' garage for this to fit, however.  If you are planning on putting one in the trailer, be sure to test fit it before committing.

Howdy Av8r,

Thanks for your reply the garage in my toy hauler is 18 feet long so what I am thinking about will fit with room left over for a couple of bikes.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

I hope this link works. Take a look. The forum is all about RZR's. I have a RZR 800 myself.

https://www.rzrforums.net/forums.php

Al

Howdy Al,

Thanks for the link, what type of riding do you do are you happy with the smaller engine?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Come on son.....you just can't fall off a cold-war-Ruskie-$ide-car-$cooter and recline into a space-age-wobble-axle-hopped-up-garden-tractor......next thing you'll know you will have a handicap permit hanging from the Pete air horn chain.........

Forget the studly-hair-on-fire-garden-tractor.......get a old Zukki-$ammy.....

You know......it's got ALL the power any Geezer will ever need at 62 HP .....now if you just gotta have more power cobble on a Webber carb and then you are in command of......SIXTYTHREE HP!!!!

Now as far as speed ......long time old geezer bird-man friend I used to fly with contends that $IXTYFIVE MPH in a $ammy is a hell-of-lot faster than +3 Mach in the old sled (SR71) he used he herd around.....he is always begging me to slow down the $ammy......and with TEN gears forward and TWO gears in reverse and a clutch thingy peddle on the floor you have plenty of geezer excerzizee for what few brains you have left as well as leg movement your Doctor tells you to have......

Oh ya ......one things the plastic-go-2fast-garden-rigs can NOT do is.....be street legal in all fifty states and 99 countries around the world.....and when it's raining you can close the doors, roll up the windows, turn on the heater/defroster and stereo AND windshield wiper and drive Donna to the Olive Garden and she just buy you dinner.......

Now the down side......with the +$15,000 burn-hole-pocket money you will save you will likely get in more and more Geezer-toy-trouble.......

Drive on......(what ya gonna do with ..... SIXTYTHREE H P ? ? ?)

PS, $ammy'$ are pretty fair hill climbers.... Last hill climbers record was about TWENTYONE THOUSAND N I N E  HUNDRED F O R T Y T  W O feet above sea level..

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

6 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dave,

Come on son.....you just can't fall off a cold-war-Ruskie-$ide-car-$cooter and recline into a space-age-wobble-axle-hopped-up-garden-tractor......next thing you'll know you will have a handicap permit hanging from the Pete air horn chain.........

Forget the studly-hair-on-fire-garden-tractor.......get a old Zukki-$ammy.....

You know......it's got ALL the power any Geezer will ever need at 62 HP .....now if you just gotta have more power cobble on a Webber carb and then you are in command of......SIXTYTHREE HP!!!!

Now as far as speed ......long time old geezer bird-man friend I used to fly with contends that $IXTYFIVE MPH in a $ammy is a hell-of-lot faster than +3 Mach in the old sled (SR71) he used he herd around.....he is always begging me to slow down the $ammy......and with TEN gears forward and TWO gears in reverse and a clutch thingy peddle on the floor you have plenty of geezer excerzizee for what few brains you have left as well as leg movement your Doctor tells you to have......

Oh ya ......one things the plastic-go-2fast-garden-rigs can NOT do is.....be street legal in all fifty states and 99 countries around the world.....and when it's raining you can close the doors, roll up the windows, turn on the heater/defroster and stereo AND windshield wiper and drive Donna to the Olive Garden and she just buy you dinner.......

Now the down side......with the +$15,000 burn-hole-pocket money you will save you will likely get in more and more Geezer-toy-trouble.......

Drive on......(what ya gonna do with ..... SIXTYTHREE H P ? ? ?)

Howdy DT,

You make a lot of good points, that said I was HEAVY into highly modified Jeeps for decades have built some semi-monster Jeeps that would crawl through mud holes that logskiders would get stuck in and that's a fact.  So I am kinda burnt out on the automotive type 4 wheeler's I need to pilot something a bit different at this stage of geezerhood. 

I fully understand the whole street legal thing but the places where I want to mainly use this type of vehicle the powers that be are wise enough to allow such contraptions on the street for the money their owners pump into the local economy, fact is even the progressive ( don't get me started on what I think of those people ) money grabbers here in the People Republik of Washington, have started to get wise to the money that can be made and have started to sell license plates for restricted use of such critters on the public roads. 

As to having a heater, doors and such, yes they are nice to have but my planed use for this type of machine is in areas where heaters are NOT needed, and rain is scarce, dust could be a problem but being a bit dirty has always made me happy.

Oh and as to the speed thing, I have always been a proponent of its way more fun to ride a slow bike FAST then it is to ride a fast bike SLOW.  In my oft times delinquent past I have been known to expand the rules of the road with a turbo-charged Harley, then moved on to playing with the time-space continuum whilst astride sport bikes of various displacements, in fact I still own a Yamaha R1, 1998 model that is in excellent condition and is one of the bikes I have for sale.  Anyway where was I, oh yeah speed.  I get the same or better Adrenalin RUSH going around a corner at 35mph on the Ural as I would hitting that same corner at close to a 100 on the R1.  So I understand what your saying.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I am a trail rider. Used to have a 2012 Ranger 800. Now I have a Honda Pioneer 1000. I don't haul ass or go mud bogging. The Honda is a workhorse and will still do 60mph. 5-speed motorcycle DCT transmission instead of a snowmachine belt. And High Low. And it fits in my 12' toy hauler garage. And will seat 5 when needed or 2/3 and have bed space.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Just now, Imurphy907 said:

I am a trail rider. Used to have a 2012 Ranger 800. Now I have a Honda Pioneer 1000. I don't haul ass or go mud bogging. The Honda is a workhorse and will still do 60mph. 5-speed motorcycle DCT transmission instead of a snowmachine belt. And High Low. And it fits in my 12' toy hauler garage. And will seat 5 when needed or 2/3 and have bed space.

Howdy Imurphy907,

I'll be honest, I am looking for a TOY, I like to go fast but I want a bit more comfort in my old age as Jeeps beat me up pretty bad during all the years I drove them.  I only need or want to carry two people and a Wiener Dog, so having more then two seats is something I wouldn't use.  Thanks for your reply.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, remoandiris said:

Recently spent 5 days at Taylor Park near Gunnison, Co.  People who go there do it to drive the OHV trails.  I estimate 90+ % of the OHVs were RZRs, mostly 2-seaters.  There were a few 4-seaters and even fewer other brand OHVs.  Up there, RZR is king.

Howdy remoandiris,

Other then being in the market for so long, can you offer any suggestions on why so many RZR's, are they that much better of a machine or just that many more being made and sold?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Al,

Thanks for the link, what type of riding do you do are you happy with the smaller engine?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did trail riding. Most of the trails that I rode where 50'" wide. My RZR is 54"/ 55" wide. I am east of the Mississippi River. Think about putting in suspension seats over the stock seats. I don't know what seats they are putting in the RZR's today. If I were out west, I would think at least a 900 or larger.

Best of luck in looking for a toy,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Just now, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

I did trail riding. Most of the trails that I rode where 50'" wide. My RZR is 54"/ 55" wide. I am east of the Mississippi River. Think about putting in suspension seats over the stock seats. I don't know what seats they are putting in the RZR's today. If I were out west, I would think at least a 900 or larger.

Best of luck in looking for a toy,
Al

Howdy Al,

Thanks for your input and reply.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy remoandiris,

Other then being in the market for so long, can you offer any suggestions on why so many RZR's, are they that much better of a machine or just that many more being made and sold?

Dave

There are more RZR's out there because they have been around longer than the new hot rod CanAm's.  They are both good machines and either will work for you.  Like I said earlier it is really a Ford/Chevy debate.  They are both good, it just comes down to what you prefer and which one fits in your budget.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hey Cob you asked a tough question. I upgraded from two RZR 800's to the new S 900's in 2015.I would love to have an turbo but it will not fit on the back of our truck or in the toyhauler. Just bought a new S 1000 and love the more power. Been running Polaris since the 08 RZR came out and have not had any major problems with them. We ride easy trails to 5+ trails in Moab to sand dunes in Cali and Idaho. The top of the line turbo rides like a Cadillac over rough stuff 2jyGuPMl.jpg

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Dave, like Chad said you will not go wrong. I have had rzrs and now I have the Arctic Cat. At the time, 2012, no one was really giving Polaris much competition so they ruled the market. AC came out with the Wildcat and then CanAm with the Comander at that time. Once these 2 started pushing Polaris it was who would make 100 hp first. Today 100 hp is not even a problem for any of them  Polaris still has the strongest aftermarket support but even that is small problem for the others when it comes down to it.  You will have A LOT of fun no matter which brand you buy  

Howdy All,

Well I made the mistake of going to one of the local CAN AM, dealers and checking out the Maverick's.  I went there to look at the Maverick X3 900HO, everything I read pointed me toward this rig as it was affordable, they had a brand new 2018 on sale for 14,999 but in order to see that rig you had to walk past the Maverick X3 turboed rock crawler version.  After looking at the stripped down 900 HO, Donna and I both walked back to the front of the store and looked at the rock crawler. 

Man that is a machine that really does it for me, where I live we don't have hardly any sand, we do have lots of nasty forest service roads, I like going to Moab, mile after mile of rock and nasty roads with some sand thrown in for good measure.  The rock crawler is armored from end to end, has a much stronger roll cage, a winch and tires that would last a while run on paved roads as well as work good in most terrain conditions.  I am going to be checking price at all the local dealers and see what I can work out.

Looking at the stripped down 900 HO and then figuring out what it would cost in options to set it up the way I would be happy with it came out to to much money for what the basic machine was, the factory outfitted rock crawler seemed to be the better deal when it was all said and done, now I just have to convince myself to spend that much money.  However at my age one has to consider that as you can't take money with you, in all honesty one is living on borrowed time at my age so why not spend the darn stuff and enjoy what time a person has left.  I fear I have talked myself into it..............................

Click this link, it will take you to a review of the rig that is tugging at me.  Those of you with experience PLEASE offer your opinion of this rig, THANKS.

http://www.utvguide.net/can-am-maverick-x3-rc-review/

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, crazybanshee said:

Hey Cob you asked a tough question. I upgraded from two RZR 800's to the new S 900's in 2015.I would love to have an turbo but it will not fit on the back of our truck or in the toyhauler. Just bought a new S 1000 and love the more power. Been running Polaris since the 08 RZR came out and have not had any major problems with them. We ride easy trails to 5+ trails in Moab to sand dunes in Cali and Idaho. The top of the line turbo rides like a Cadillac over rough stuff 2jyGuPMl.jpg

Howdy crazybanshee,

Thanks for your reply, it kinda confirms what I was thinking, POWER one can never have enough.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, tyates007 said:

Dave, like Chad said you will not go wrong. I have had rzrs and now I have the Arctic Cat. At the time, 2012, no one was really giving Polaris much competition so they ruled the market. AC came out with the Wildcat and then CanAm with the Comander at that time. Once these 2 started pushing Polaris it was who would make 100 hp first. Today 100 hp is not even a problem for any of them  Polaris still has the strongest aftermarket support but even that is small problem for the others when it comes down to it.  You will have A LOT of fun no matter which brand you buy  

Howdy tyates,

Thanks for your reply to my thread.  It seems there are a lot of SxS drivers on this list maybe we can have an HDT-SxS rally somewhere, sometime.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Those of you who have a new RZR-Maverick, would you suggest getting the extended warranty? 

I know these extended warranties are usually a rip off but I have NO experience with this type of machine and have no knowledge of their dependability or build quality.  The factory warranty is only 6 months, if I bought this thing tomorrow I wouldn't have time to do much riding with in the next 6 months so the factory warranty would be run out before I had many miles on the rig.

CAN AM, is offering at the time of sale a bumper to bumper extended full warranty this is NOT a third party warranty but through CAN AM itself, one year at 1,500 bucks, two years for 1,900 dollars.  So if I decide to do this and end up buying the turbo-charged rig do you folks think the extended warranty is something worthy of serious consideration?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 8/13/2018 at 9:22 PM, Chad Heiser said:

Dave, either a RZR or a CanAm will give you what you are looking for.  They both have some similarities, but also some differences.  The biggest differences to me were the seating positions between the two and along with that the visibility out of them.  The RZR is a more up right seating position with less visibility hindrances (in my opinion).  The CanAm is more of a low slung laid back seating position.  It comes down to personal preference between the two.  Neither of them has a clear advantage in performance.  One will do some things better than the other and vice versa.  It is like a Ford/Chevy debate.  Go out and sit in/ride in both and see which one fits you (and Donna) the best and go for it.  They are a blast to run.  The turbocharged versions of both of them run very fast, but a normally aspirated 1000/900 cc unit will scare the crap out of you almost as much running full out (of course they will just be back behind those of us in Turbos).  ;)

^^^^This.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived