Glacier N P on fire on the west side

Wrknrvr

We went to Glacier N P yesterday and found there was a fire on the north side of lake Mc Donald. We traveled up the north fork rd for the day. On our return trip the fire had grown in side from our view.

The fire looks like it has burned down to the shore of lake Mc Donald. The lodge was evacuated last night.

I hope this post shows the subject X

.  X

For an update on the fire.

Features

We are 30 miles southwest of the entrance to the park and smoke was worse  yesterday. We went out to Kalispell yesterday for groceries and propane.

When we got back I noticed a very fine dusting of ash on our truck.  They closed Fish creek campground on the western end of lake Mc Donald.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we have spent last 11 days over in St Mary's on east side of Glacier, now in Hungry Horse on West side.

What you probably want to know is that Going to the Sun road is CLOSED on West side from Apgar entrance up to Logan Pass due to fire. It is open only on east side from St. Mary's to Logan Pass. Apgar visitor center on West side is open...but there is precious little you can do and access on West side at this time. Some glimmer of good news, they lifted the evacuation warning for Apgar Village yesterday, so guess they are confident of no fire growth in that direction. No indication that Going to the Sun Road will be open anytime soon though, sadly. As prior poster said, check Park web site for most current info, and the Inciweb site for all Western fire info. Howe Ridge fire is one to check in GNP.

Full-time since May 29, 2018, formerly from SE Pennsylvania

2017 Ford F350 CC Long Bed, Diesel

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel

Andersen Ultimate Hitch

17 hours ago, Stormin' Norm said:

Hi, we have spent last 11 days over in St Mary's on east side of Glacier, now in Hungry Horse on West side.

What you probably want to know is that Going to the Sun road is CLOSED on West side from Apgar entrance up to Logan Pass due to fire. It is open only on east side from St. Mary's to Logan Pass. Apgar visitor center on West side is open...but there is precious little you can do and access on West side at this time. Some glimmer of good news, they lifted the evacuation warning for Apgar Village yesterday, so guess they are confident of no fire growth in that direction. No indication that Going to the Sun Road will be open anytime soon though, sadly. As prior poster said, check Park web site for most current info, and the Inciweb site for all Western fire info. Howe Ridge fire is one to check in GNP.

OK that is important information.  We were going  for Sun road. I'll see if I can change plans to go to the East side or hope in the next 2 weeks they get things  under control...

Getting things under control is not part of the plans for managing the parks.  Most fires are allowed to burn unless they threaten lodges and other structures. 

In any case the risk of new fires has greatly decreased and campground fires were allowed as of yesterday.  The fires and smoke have greatly subsided.  I heard that the Going to the Sun road might be completely opened tomorrow.  Meanwhile visitation is way down from previous years.  St Mary's campground has been filling every day and only a few unreserved sites have been available.  The reason is obvious.  No one has wanted to stay on the East side of the Park.  I am 5 miles away in Rising Sun.  There have been available spaces but the campground is closed to tenters due to black bear issues.  Big rigs don't fit.  RVs are supposed to be 25 feet or less but some bigger units have found spaces. 

Archived