Red Flyer interior progress

MsChrissi

It's been some time since we have updated...

First we worked on the power panel by the entry door, this is a modular panel and laid out and functions much like aboard a large yacht. Since the overall interior is small all control and switching functions are carried out on the panel, almost every switch is also a breaker.

YcDTdb8l.jpg "border=0

m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

20Eg8VBl.jpg "border=0

There is an inset shelf at the bottom of the power panel with outlets to charge cell phones etc.

Back side of power panel is accessible because whole wall is on hinges

MFijr7dl.jpg "border=0

The galley itself is all custom except the obvious appliances. The fridge is a 110v 11 cu ft. Whirlpool works very well off of our 400w of solar and 4 house batteries, Morning and evening top off with the Honda though the Trimetric is never below 50% in the morning. The drawer boxes are 1/8" tig welded aluminum to maximize internal space. The drawer slides are hold-in type RV slides, they have worked well. Not evident in the picture above is the plenum/atrium  area above the galley that has yacht portlights into the footwell of the sky deck above. The barrel front cabinets feature steam bent oak rails top and bottom.

sOPsyq9l.jpg "border=0

The ports open to allow hot galley air out.

The counter is granite, the round sink is quite deep. The wall behind is tiled now. The seat next to the fridge door is in front of the closed rear slide out. When the rear slide is out the plywood base of the queen bed folds down  behind it.

The Dinette slide out was a big project. The area under the seats must accommodate a lot of stored stuff for preparing a huge dinner party we do each year with friends at a get together, some is accessed by removing the bottom cushions, some you open the doors and comes out on 200lb slides.

The table removes and stores behind the seat back. A brace fits in the wall latch for the table top to secure the 2x3ft parrot cage when we are rolling, sockets on the floor of the dinette take screw down clamps to lock in the cage. The shades are double honeycomb hex cell shades for their insulating value in direct sunlight. The walls and ceiling are covered in a foam padded vinyl. All the wood started as solid oak lumber and was cut, sawn/milled/thickness planed and routed to size and shape.

Mm2ZO7xl.jpg "border=0

It's been fun doing all the different types of work. Next project, the little bathroom.

Your woodworking skills are superb. 

You make  everything extremely  functional yet aesthetically pleasing, which is no easy task.

I'm usually good with the functional part but need lots of work on the aesthetics part!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

MsChrissi        Looking at your work I see the interior of boats that I've worked on and help build. The boats are built on the outer banks of NC in Wanchesse. They are true craftsman and you are in their elite class. The work you are doing is truly High Dollar Interior work. Since the rest of the work resembles a boat I can't wait to see the work you do in the head!     Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks guys. I guess the living aboard a yacht 15 years had some influence. Maybe a bit of an obsession.

The bathroom is actually going to be a very small all in one shower with a marine macerator toilet in it, uses a bit more water but grinds it all into pudding and pumps it through a 1" hose back to the black water tank. Pumpout from the black and grey tanks is also a macerator pump and quickly pumps tanks through another 1" hose anywhere we want to squirt it to.

We did not want to devote much room to a bathroom we'd mostly never use. Where we boondock there is always portapotties almost next to us and clean showers a short walk away. Initially it will just be the walls and door with a portable toilet inside until we cast the fiberglass shower pan/floor/toilet riser. The only show piece will be the door itself.

Some small details not readily seen, there are two vertically oriented drawers just to the left of the microwave and in the lower cabinet to the left of the oven. The upper one is a pull out spice rack and the lower one is for the long boxes of ziplock bags, foil, plastic wrap.

The cubby holes next to the door under the sink cabinet are for shoes, wine bottles sandles etc.

Wow, your design and work are totally amazing. I would love to meet you and see this most impressive rig, some day.  Is there anything you can't do ??  Keep  her shipshape...

Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Ship shape.....

Your marine inspired use of space is obvious and we'll executed....

I never ceases to be amazed that even the ultr-high end RV'$ have so many empty cavities in them.

In the Stone age we operated a 5,000 HP 95ft tug and it was layed out by old master that utilized EVERY cubic inch of the vessel.......don't get me wrong a working a tug is still work, however working that tug was a pleasure because you knew where EVERYTHING was and it made SENSE where it was.

So folks will say that RV'$ are limited to 102 inches width (beam) so that is very limiting to interior design but this can be turned around and make a case that the RV interior space utilization be up to par with good marine design.

I still smile recalling the 95 ft tug chart table goose neck light that had built in holders for plotter, divider, protractor, and Eversharps ...... right where you needed them even in pitching seas....

Shipshape....

Cheers to your design and utilization...

Drive on........($hip$hape is a true pleasure......smile on....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

If we had another lifetime left in us we'd find an old steel tug with lots of character and convert her to a worthy yacht, just with a smaller engine and drive system to yield more interior space. I nearly bought a 1940 wood tug with a GMC-671 in it. All the wood from the waterline up was suffering from some level of dry rot, everything in the bilges down was nice and oily. But it was so cute, typical Little Toot character boat. But like I said, needs a lifetime. Funny how it works out that b the time you have the experience and amass the tools to make your dreams you run out of time. If we win the lottery we will find one of the 14 remaining Hans Christian Pilot House 44 ketches. Almost as good as a tug:

http://www.ourhousehasananchor.com/2011/06/choosing-boat-part-iii-finalists_11.html

I see a lot of kindred souls, I was this close to buying a 105' Miki wood tug in the sound.   The big sister to Dolly's 95 footer.     Ah yes from air planes to tug races, the HDT scene seems to draw a "unique" group of people.     

You gals are doing a fantastic job, looking forward to more.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I love the boats,too. If I had a big ole wooden boat like that, I would get Steve to do some gene-splicing on some termites so that they ate the wood and crapped fiberglass and I would turn them loose on the boat. They would be the exact opposite of polyestermites, who eat fibreglass and crap wood......My next choice would be to build the boat out of unobtanium which is impervious to everything.😋      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Howdy MsChrissi,

Beautiful job, your wiring job is most impressive to one such as I who could NEVER keep the sacred smoke within the wires.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Coming from someone who has built a big kitchen from scratch, and is an engineer, I bow to your skills.

well done, i look forrward to seeing how the head comes out.

btw- what would the plans for the build out cost . . .?

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Plans? Bwa ha haha... oh wait, yes we did plans, well sort of. Lots of CAD drawings but nothing cohesive enough for someone to make sense of.

The reality of this is that someone could take the concept to the point of making it a drop-on module once the chassis was prepped. Anything that was attached to the Volvo was bolted on so given the same WB chassis it is conceivable it could be duplicated. It is only as short as it is due to local ordinance holding us to 32 ft. If we had another 8 ft we would have had to lengthen the WB and adding a lot of additional work. The challenges of stuffing it all in a 5 lb bag have been part of the fun.

When we were planning on a longer design we were going to buy the back end of a big commercial trailer with the two big doors so coming up behind us it would look like a very short tractor-trailer combination. The rear 6 ft would be a workshop with a lift gate and a swing out hoist to put a motorcycle in the workshop when on the road. With the doors open 90 deg and an awning and screen it could serve as a porch and workshop.

Archived