Ford F650/F750

Daveh56

Hello,

Considering a used F650 or 750 to haul a 5th wheel RV with a GVWR of under 10k lbs to stay legal at least until I retire and move to Tennessee from NYS and will probably upgrade to a HDT. In NY its a big hassle to get the R endorsement and registration done legally. Also since first time RVer I'd rather go economy mode at first.  Anybody familiar with either truck? I will probably have to pull the truck bed off as most are much too tall to handle a RV. They never used to make pickups with such tall beds because most people buying them used them on their farms and actually had to load them by hand!!! Anyway how well do they work hauling 10K lbs behind them?

Thanks,

Dave

With ONLY 10K, why not just a 3/4 ton.  Dont need to go into the MDT class with F450/550 which is what those are often considered.  Many modern 3/4T trucks are capable of towing your intended.  Check out the yearly towing guide from Trailer Life magazine.  Very useful.  If buying used, then go online for later years.

Marcel

Good point! I might decide to upgrade the RV once I move to Tenn and the F650/F750 would probably be okay if I stay under 15-20K lbs. It would have more power and would have bigger brakes. And  I don't think I would upgrade beyond that level though, and would only go to a HDT if I really thought if it was worth the effort and expense or if the F650 truck wore out by that time? I have seen  several 10+ year old F650's for under $12K advertised on several sites and it seems there would be a bigger buyers market for the F450/F550. since the F650 is more a commercial truck then consumer truck?

Unless the trucks you are considering are set up to tow an RV, Horse or racing trailer they will be vocational spec generally.    That means they are not going to be very good as an RV hauler.     These size trucks are rode hard and, used hard by the folks that work them.      They will have few creature comforts and be marginally powered to tow a heavy trailer in many cases.     Often by the time you add the features you want the price is above what another better choice would have cost and you still have a compromise with low spec running gear.   

Just My 2cents,

Steve    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Most of them I have seen do not have the specs I need except the air ride suspension and standard air brakes Though  I would not mind having a Cat 7.2 Litre engine w/7 speed manual if money was no object!! The other issues is because of their being class 4 0r 5 ie; GVWR of about 15000# it limits me to a 10000# max  RV. On the other hand the Dodge Ram 3500 or Ford F250/350 are rated at about 9000# GVWR which allows me to tow about a 16000# 5th wheel RV without needing a CDL or similiar.  

11 hours ago, Daveh56 said:

On the other hand the Dodge Ram 3500 or Ford F250/350 are rated at about 9000# GVWR which allows me to tow about a 16000# 5th wheel RV without needing a CDL or similiar.  

So the issue is not the capacity of the truck as much as it is the requirement for a CDL? My 2016 F-350 diesel dually is rated for 19000# on the receiver hitch (with equalizer) and 23500# for fifth wheel/gooseneck towing. Far more than what you are talking about.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Since the GVWR of a F350 is roughly 9000# you can tow up to 17000# Legally. They are looking at the combined Gross vehicle weight RATING of the truck and what is being towed. If the Truck GVWR is under 26000# then they allow you to tow a maximum of 10000# so if I purchase a vehicle where the GVWR is 26000# The max i can legally tow is 10000# even though the GCVWR is over 26000#  in other words you can tow 10000# legally regardless of what you tow it with.  The F350 you have is illegal without a CDL or a NON-Commercial Class A license IF you tow anything over roughly 17000lbs. However if you tow something like that chances are they will not bother to check but why  risk it. So you want something heavy duty but not too heavy a truck the 3/4 ton is probably the best option unless you live in a State that allows you to tow whatever you want on their regular run of the mill license say like Tennessee. 

Outside of license and regulations:

A MDT truck will be more capable than a 350 series truck from a brakes and “stiffness” standpoint- like a 250 handles a load better than a 150 “half ton” and so on up the food chain. 

MDT’s are intended for commercial work at 100% duty cycle I.e. full power operation on the Power train and cooling system all day long as economically as possible. 

So compared to a 450hp pick up they are “short of power” and comfort and so on because they are intended for rugged work.

They aren’t short of brakes and suspensions and structure to do work at max rated capacity 100% of the time. 

They don’t have all the spare Power because that is not economical in commercial work.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The other issue with a Commercial MDT (Freightliners for instance) is they typically have frames designed to put a box on, and using them to haul a RV requires cutting the frame to lower the wheelbase to something more practical!  I just can't imagine having a RV mounted on the back of a those very very long frame rails. To me it would just look stupid.  Just my opinion but either stick with  a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup or go all out with a HDT. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not to sure about NY and TN, but in OK and SD if you rig is a recreational vehicle you are NOT subject to the 26,000 lb rule you are concerned about. When discussing this with the respective states make absolutely sure they understand you are towing a RV. 

I ran into this once I inquired in OK as the DMV went on a 20 minute spiel on weights and regulations. I then reiterated I was full timing pulling my 5th wheel RV at which point he said, oops, all I stated doesn’t apply to your situation. There are no restrictions for RV’s in OK. 

Archived