Single People and Campgrounds

Hi everyone, I am a 49 year old male who is seriously considering selling everything and buying an RV and traveling full time.  I of course have quite a few questions, but the one that has been on my mind the most is how people including camp ground owners  feel about single Rv'ers showing up at camp.  I have always been an introvert, but have learned to play the part and be social when the need arises just to make others comfortable. I do like other people and I don't mind small talk as long as it serves a purpose.  I just feel that people are going to scrutinize me when they realize I am a seemingly normal, decent looking guy without a wife or girlfriend to travel with and pass judgement.  I don't want to camp and stay huddled in my rig worrying about it.   I would appreciate your honest opinions and experiences while rv'ing and seeing other singles.    Thanks.

I've seen both male and female singles in various parks quite often, and never gave it a second thought. I've probably had hundreds of conversations with fellow RV'ers over the years, and unless it came up in a discussion or there was other obvious evidence, many times I wouldn't have any idea if the person I was talking to was single or not. In your shoes, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

First, welcome to the Escapee forums! Everyone is welcome here.

There are many single males and females in the RV community who get along just fine. I would agree that there are more couples than singles out there but that is true for any group of adults in most parts of society. I suppose that there are some who look at singles with a critical eye, but no more so than in any other social group and probably fewer. 

There is nothing that we can do to change how you feel things are. The only way that can ever change is for you to break out and be friendly toward those around you. Most RV folks really do not care what your gender, race, marital status, sexual preference, or political views are so long as you are friendly and do not try to promote your views or some social agenda. We mostly look for others who share our love of the RV lifestyle and of the outdoors. It is true that some who have more in common develop closer relationships than they would with someone totally different, but most of us enjoy social contact with people who are different and consider a diverse group to be more interesting. 

In my opinion, how you will be accepted is more up to you than it is to anyone else. You can have as many or as few friends in the RV community as you choose to have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome!  I think the perfect group for you when you get your RV would be the Escapee Xcapers.  This group is geared more toward younger folks - married and singles - many of them who work from their RVs.  Meeting up with them at one of their very casual gatherings throughout the year in various places would give you a great experience and I think, more confidence.  When they get together they have seminars and hash out various issues - RV-related, traveling, working, internet, etc.  They also do fun things as a group - hiking, 4-wheeling, touring, etc. 

We've found in groups that singles are most welcomed & if the group goes out for a meal or hiking, etc., it's super easy to hitch a ride with one of them so you don't have to get to places alone. 

We've met many singles in various campgrounds as we traveled and have kept some ongoing relationships with a few of them.  No one is going to judge you!   Best of luck to you!

https://www.xscapers.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Traveling solo is what I decided to do 2 years ago - so far, so good.  Have made several good friends, both couples and solos and keep in touch but don't travel with them.  I don't join clubs....other than Escapees, Passport America, etc. and those are for financial benefits.  We are a diverse group - ranchers, miners, rock hounds...rich and not-so-rich.  Park models, Motorhomes, travel trailers, even some horse trailers.  Some are full time, others still have permanent homes.   Some have dogs, some have cats and others have horses or mules....turns out it's just like everyday life.

I didn't plan, just jumped in and have adjusted as I go.  When I'm done, I'll do something else. 

Enjoy the journey - it makes great memories.

We're staying at a CG right now that has a pavilion in the center where a lot of us meet each evening to chat. Sometimes only one person in the couple comes as the other wants to stay in their RV for whatever reason. Oftentimes we won't even know if a person is single or not until told, and we really don't care. It's just fun to meet and talk. So, I think if you just join in to whatever is happening, you'll find that you'll be welcomed.

We did have a solo lady come in yesterday driving her truck pulling her TT. I met her tonight and told her how impressed I am that she's doing this solo (with her dog). I think it's awesome.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Welcome to Escapee's where you meet a wide variety of people. Other the past 8 years I have traveled both as a single and couple. I sat at both a single and a couple at a campfire while stories are told, favorite places visited, bad and good campgrounds of travels, and favorite eating places in town.

As 2Gypsies stated "When they get together they have seminars and hash out various issues - RV-related, traveling, working, internet, etc.  They also do fun things as a group - hiking, 4-wheeling, touring, etc. " Might I add Games to join in whether it be cards, shuffle board, dominoes or maybe your a book reader or movie goer what is the good.

My favorite question when I get to a new area is " What should I see or do before leaving the area." I had my favorite bike ride, Had a chance to see some events just because I happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Each day can be a new experience, Enjoy and explore the pages of this forum for experiences of travel and purchasing your RV.

Clay Previously had a small Class C and now a fifth wheel

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

My husband and I went full time in 2008 and joined the Escapees Class of '08. The group got together for the first time in January of '09 as our own small group at the big Quartzsite gathering. We have both singles and couples in our group and it never even occurred to me to treat anyone differently than every one else. When my husband stopped traveling I went solo for awhile and still met up with members of the class. We've even met with people passing through our area now that we're off the road again. So join right in; I'm confident you will be welcomed.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Don't worry about it.  There are lots of single RV travelers and we meet some almost in every campsite we have been in.  I don't think anyone really cares one way or another but rather judge you on who your "are".

To us single, married, white , black, yellow, green, rich, poor, old, young all means a hill of beans.  Who you are defines you and defines if you are accepted or not.

Enjoy the adventure.

Hi everyone, thank you for replying to my question .  I haven't even  stepped into an RV yet, let alone packed a single bag, and I am already being met with positive words and useful ideas. 

2gypsies suggested the group xscapers which sounds like something I should check out since  I will in fact be working online from my RV. 

This isn't my first rodeo when it comes to being a vagabond.  Much of my early 20's to mid 30's were spent traveling from National Park to Ski Resort, Back to National Park , throw in a dude ranch, then  a snow mobile resort. ( those places all had employee housing)   I loved those days. These last 15 years of trying to settle down have been tough while trying to pretend to be content with the Ho Hum style of life the rest of the world lives in.   The ability to generate an income as long as I have an Internet connection  (this is the one thing I already have figured out since I have been a user of wireless internet technology for many years) just compounds the problem because knowing that I could be sitting at a picnic table in the woods , or at a lake , or at the ocean , rather than staring at 4 walls is brutal. 

Anyways, thanks again for the replies.  As I start planning my escape I will for sure be posting new questions.

6 minutes ago, singleguyhittingtheroad said:

I haven't even  stepped into an RV yet, let alone packed a single bag, and I am already being met with positive words and useful ideas. 

Let me suggest that since you have no RV experience, you would do well to try a rental for a week, or better yet a month before you spend the money to buy one. That way you would at least have some feel for what you will be doing and how you will live, as well as some knowledge of RVs to help when you begin to shop for one. Many people go out and buy an RV intending to live on the road and have given up the entire thing and left the road in 1 year or less. It could be a very expensive lesson if you are not sure.

That is very good advice Kirk.  I have owned a 5th wheel in the past but it never got used very much so I do have a little bit of RV experience. Although renting is very spendy it may be worth it for the first month to try it. LOL, but knowing myself pretty well, I will most likely just buy one and cross fingers.

Another reason that a lot of fulltimers don't rent before buying is that they grew up camping/RVing and so have a very good idea of what is involved.  The suggestion Kirk made, and that I also make, is for people who have NEVER been involved with the lifestyle that renting might be a way to get an idea of whether or not they really have an idea of what is involved.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Dave and I both grew up camping but RVing is a different thing. We did rent an RV for a three week trip years before we went full time. But we still bought the wrong first RV when we did go full time. There's no way to know in advance what you don't know when the time comes. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I agree with the OP concern if what we can call the "fish bowl effect". You pull in and immeduately feel sets of eyes watching you. The good news is that this is not typical in state campgrounds, federal or army CG etc. Thousand Trails also very good. I totally get it. Escapee parks are also wonderful, I've been to 3.

1 hour ago, ToddF said:

I agree with the OP concern if what we can call the "fish bowl effect". You pull in and immeduately feel sets of eyes watching you. The good news is that this is not typical in state campgrounds, federal or army CG etc. Thousand Trails also very good. I totally get it. Escapee parks are also wonderful, I've been to 3.

Who cares ? Let 'em look . People are curious . They are going to see what kind of riffraff is going to be their neighbor . It matters not which or where , it happens , every where . 

Goes around , comes around .

23 hours ago, singleguyhittingtheroad said:

I just feel that people are going to scrutinize me when they realize I am a seemingly normal, decent looking guy without a wife or girlfriend to travel with and pass judgement.  I don't want to camp and stay huddled in my rig worrying about it.   I would appreciate your honest opinions and experiences while rv'ing and seeing other singles.    

You have ZERO control over how other people view you.  Period.  So why would you worry about it???  And with the divorce rate in this country, most people would likely assume you are divorced.

We met a single guy at Escapade and ten years later we are still the best of friends and track each other down all over the country. We also have another friend who is much! younger than we are and he is a full time rver who is also a poker dealer. We've been friends for years also. We don't care if you're single or not. It's how you treat us that counts. I too, am pretty much an introvert but I can do well in social situations. My hubby is much more social. Takes all kinds to make this world and what a wonderful world it is.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

Hi everyone, I am a 49 year old male who is seriously considering selling everything and buying an RV and traveling full time.  

I was about your age when I lost my wife and I've been RV'ing those 20 yrs since as a single. I've been a part timer, fulltimer & extended timer. I'm also a bit of an introvert, at least with strangers. There is no denying that its a couples world in most social circles, but I've never found it a problem. For the most part the RV community is very open, very friendly and easy to talk to. There are several RV singles group if you're into the group thing. Remember that unless you stay for a whole season at one of the snowbird type campgrounds, you and most others are there for a few days only and most of everyones time is filled with getting setup, getting fed, rested, shopping, cleaning, fixing things and getting prepared to pull out. So not a lot of time for socializing except on extended stays.   RV'ers are famous for lots of "potluck" get togethers for any occasion, and I always found those great meeting opportunities. don't worry  and don't hide away inside your rig.

Jim

10 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

It's a good bet that few rent before buying in relation to the sheer number of RV owners, maybe due to cost & maybe due to the short time spent in the rented RV.

Barb & I often suggest renting an RV to people who come here asking about buying an expensive RV to start with, not those who grew up doing it. We never rented but we did work through two different family tents, backpacker tents, a used basic popup, a new top line popup, a used travel trailer, a used class A, and then we shopped for our fulltime RV. In addition, while tenting we traveled with family and friends who were in RVs so we did spend time in theirs prior to owning one. Not quite the same as starting out with the purchase of an RV to live in with no previous RV experience. Even if few people follow that advice, I still believe that there would be fewer of those who come to the forums for advice in buying an RV to live in that they disappear in a year or less, if those folks had rented one first. 

2 hours ago, Sandie & Jim said:

We met a single guy at Escapade and ten years later we are still the best of friends and track each other down all over the country.

I met a single fellow who was RVing alone in his early 40's and we became fast friends. That fellow continued on for about 5 years or so, then took a job with an RV group for a quite a few years and has recently retired from that position and is now doing extended travel and he still regularly meets up with Pam & I and we really enjoy spending time together. The single I speak of is one many of you at least know of and some have also met. His name is Mark Nemeth, the columnist for Escapees Magazine and former director of RV Boot Camp. Singles have always been a part of the Escapee group and probably always will be. 

The renting idea is a mixed bag. I'm not sure 1 week (typical rental) is adequate to test out an RV and/or the life style. We bought used at first, figuring the most we could lose was the initial investment. Our 1st RV was a used Itasca Phaser purchased for $7,000. We were hooked! The rest is history...

I tend to agree that renting for a week will not give much help and it costs big bucks.  On one of our trips to Alaska we ferried up and then rented a small Class C.  Even though we were experienced RVers we had mechanical/maintenance issues with the rental - from a popular rental in Alaska.  We also had to buy a 'package' of bedding & kitchen utensils. So we had aboard the bare minimum which certainly lacked hominess. If we had never RVd before that one experience would have turned us off completely.

I'd recommend buying a well-cared-for low cost older RV (yes, they're out there), outfit it for actual living and see how it goes for you.  Give it a good long test - not just a week.  If you don't like the RVing aspect, you could sell it easily or just keep it for a weekender if you decide not to full-time.  If you like RVing then keep it or possibly look for something more suitable for you.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

That is very good advice Kirk.  I have owned a 5th wheel in the past but it never got used very much so I do have a little bit of RV experience. Although renting is very spendy it may be worth it for the first month to try it. LOL, but knowing myself pretty well, I will most likely just buy one and cross fingers.

I'm confused, which is easy these days.  I thought you originally said you had never set foot in an RV?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived