Who make a good budget C to buy new?

keepitlow

We had a 2004 Coachmen C that we liked. Put 45,000 miles on it in three years before switching to a trailer when we were both retired. Here is a link to some Coachmen Freelanders under $65k. Here is a link to some Chateau Class C's under $65K. You have to scroll down the pages to see the 2019's. There are both Ford and Chevy models.

You can a nice Minnie Winnie in that price range. When looking at MSRP, take 25% off to estimate approximate retail.

We bought new in '16. Also check out Four Winds.

Lazy Daze was a contender (we had a '99Rear Bath). We opted for a Minnie Winnie 31D. No regrets.

4 minutes ago, keepitlow said:

Yes, was hoping for new.  

The RVs that are priced at the lower end of the price range are not the best quality, just as is true for any other product. Quality simply costs more. At the top of the class C market would be companies like Lazy Daze and perhaps 1 or 2 others, with prices to match.

2017 LAZY DAZE FACTORY DIRECT MOTORHOME PRICE LIST SOLD & DELIVERED FACTORY DIRECT ONLY – NO DEALERS 02-16 ALL MODELS LISTED BELOW ARE BUILT ON A 2017 FORD E-450 CHASSIS *YOUR FACTORY DIRECT WHOLESALE PRICE DEPOSIT TO PURCHASE •

ALL 24' FLOOR PLANS $90,750.00 $3,500.00 • ALL 27' FLOOR PLANS $96,250.00 $4,000.00 • ALL 31' FLOOR PLANS $105,000.00 $4,500.00

Even companies like Thor RVs will be priced at near $90k and they are not close in quality. Some will tell you that you can buy for 25% less than MSRP but that is very rare and usually requires an experienced RV buyer. Most customers pay in the range of 80-90% if they actually examine the numbers closely but sales people are very talented at manipulation of numbers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We went to the Hershey RV show in Sept '16. They were running a lot of "show specials". We liked Conquest and it was priced right but we didn't like the single pane windows.  Winnebago dealer at the show didn't accept our offer on a MW 31G. Left show (had a good idea of what we wanted). Test drove a Coachman on Ford Transit chassis. It didn't suit us. Back to the drawing board. Shopped online and found 2017 MW 31D, perfect for us. Offered 75% of MSRP. Final price was 77% of MSRP. (Bullyan RV in Duluth MN). +Tax and LIC. No prep or delivery fees beyond what was on sticker. Sticker did include a delivery fee. We spent a lot of time looking around, sitting inside units, looking under units etc.

Lazy Daze will never negotiate on price. Overpriced in my opinion. They are stuck in the 50's. Cult like following.  I escaped when we bought our Minnie Winnie.😀

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, keepitlow said:

...Can't afford a Lazy D, who makes a decent budget priced C in the 25 foot area? ...

Since you say you want a "budget priced" unit; you might take a look at the makes and models that the rental companies are currently using. They are probably a fair value for the price and able to stand up to the use/abuse that a rental unit receives reasonably well.

Pay attention to whether the units you look at are on a 350/3500 or 450/4500 chassis. The difference in GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)  and GCWR (gross combined weight rating) will likely affect the cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity.

13 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Since you say you want a "budget priced" unit; you might take a look at the makes and models that the rental companies are currently using. They are probably a fair value for the price and able to stand up to the use/abuse that a rental unit receives reasonably well.

Pay attention to whether the units you look at are on a 350/3500 or 450/4500 chassis. The difference in GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)  and GCWR (gross combined weight rating) will likely affect the cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity.

Great idea!

I think I can go with 350/3500. I don't carry much or tow.

21 hours ago, ToddF said:

We went to the Hershey RV show in Sept '16. They were running a lot of "show specials". We liked Conquest and it was priced right but we didn't like the single pane windows.  Winnebago dealer at the show didn't accept our offer on a MW 31G. Left show (had a good idea of what we wanted). Test drove a Coachman on Ford Transit chassis. It didn't suit us. Back to the drawing board. Shopped online and found 2017 MW 31D, perfect for us. Offered 75% of MSRP. Final price was 77% of MSRP. (Bullyan RV in Duluth MN). +Tax and LIC. No prep or delivery fees beyond what was on sticker. Sticker did include a delivery fee. We spent a lot of time looking around, sitting inside units, looking under units etc.

Lazy Daze will never negotiate on price. Overpriced in my opinion. They are stuck in the 50's. Cult like following.  I escaped when we bought our Minnie Winnie.😀

Good for you!

Why didn't you like the Coachman?

I guess the Lazy D is the Airstream of C's.

When I test drove a Coachman on the Ford Transit, it wasn't impressive. I'm glad I invested the time at the Hershey RV show, online, and at various dealers looking at all types of RVs. It really paid off. Now we're in a unit that is easy to drive, easy to setup, and very comfortable to live in for extended trips 2-3 months at a time). 

My experience with the Coachman was too limited to give any detailed feedback, just not a positive experience. Would probably work fine for someone who wants a smaller unit. The cab felt "cool" but I didn't like the way it handled. You really have to check it out for yourself. 

Having owned a LD for 4 years, we like having a couch! The LD had BIG windows, that is the single feature I miss.But the big windows make it harder to keep the interior cool when sitting in hot sun. The LD had an aluminum roof which created an oven effect. And the rivots and molding around the seams developed hairline cracks all over the 16 year old unit. I don't think these problems develop in Airstream trailers. Each LD also came with what insiders called "Lake Newton".

Because the roof pooled water and Newton is the owner of LD.

• 4 months later...

When looking new MSRP you should get at LEAST 25%,  but I would shoot for 25-35% off of MSRP. My 2016 ME 22R listed for about $71 and I bought for $53 NEW

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

Archived