Staying powered up?

Av8r3400

My HDT (12 Volvo 730) will shut down the interior power after a short period of time while parked.  12v outlets, interior lights and the fridge all shut down.

It will power back up if I press the top of the sleeper fan switch on the dash. 

Is there somewhere to defeat this unwanted feature?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I believe that is an automatic battery saver feature to shed loads when the truck senses it may not have enough charge to do anything but start the engine.  Mine did that couple of times when over the winter I could not drive far enough to put a good charge on the batteries and did not have access to electricity to put on a charger.  Are your batteries relatively new and holding a charge?  I’m not aware of a way to disable that function since it’s basically the last gasp to get the truck running before you are completely dead in some remote place.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On my Gen I, the battery saver was easy to disconnect.  There is a connector between the battery and non-essential components.  The battery minder was a short cable, about 2', with a component box in the middle, that plugged in between the connectors.

Only thing is that it is way under the dash to get at.  I had to disassemble the dash to get at the battery minder.

Only thing is that the battery minder is designed to keep you from using accessories to the point where you can't start.  I would come up with a way to keep the batteries charged.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The battery minder has saved me a few times. Have a florescent that doesn't light up very bright and left it on a few times. Need to just take it out, but keep thinking I will replace it with an led. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thank you all for the info. I’ve never had a fail to start, but I guess a good load test of the batteries is in order to check their health. 

They aren’t old, but not new since I’ve owned the truck.  Maybe it’s time to pony up for a new set...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

My Won Ton, has a parasitic draw, (I do not drive it enough) it will slowly drain the Optima yellow tops over time to a point that the truck will struggle/may not start.

I invested in a very cheap solar power charger from HF, bingo no more issues.

Truck is parked facing north and gets full sunshine on the windshield 10-12 hours a day.

I plugged the wiring into the constant 12 v plug in the dash, set the panel on the dash carpet, and it has kept the batteries topped off for 4 months now.

I suspect with a full charge a pair of these would keep the 730 up to snuff.

For my 780, I keep the batteries plugged into a battery tender to keep the batteries at peak voltage.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Bingo beemergary, it is the radio in the Dodge, I have been too lazy to replace it, because I am able to cycle through the three cameras I have connected to the 7 inch display.  The solar panel has covered the draw, so until I need to fix it.....

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I just mounted a battery minder and plug that in to keep things topped off.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

My HDT does have a master switch that I shut off for long term parking at home.  During the research phase of our HDT buy, I learned of mystery parasitic draws that a master switch eliminates.  So, I'm pretty religious about shutting off the master.  I have never had a failure to start (battery wise), even in the cold of our Wisconsin winter.

Just when we are out and using the rig I leave the master on and this is when the issue arises.  Been way too busy this summer to take it apart and get the batteries load tested.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Archived