Splitter woes

jeffw

We have a 2007 780 (D12) with a 10-speed Eaton Fuller Ultrashift rto-16910b-dm3

On the way to the race track today, the splitter would sometimes not work, and the transmission wouldn't be able to switch ranges.

The gear display would alternate between showing F and a gear.

For a while it was stuck in low rage, when meant 20MPH top speed. I pulled to the breakdown lane and checked the diag display which showed:

Splitter High actuator (VAHS) Electrical fault inactive (7 events)
MID 130 SID 35 FMI 5

Splitter High actuator (VAHS) Mechanical fault active
MID 130 SID 35 FMI 7

I also retrieved the fault codes from the transmission (2 or 4 key turns) and got 41 and 43

I drove for a bit in the breakdown lane at 20MPH and eventually it shifted from 5th to 7th and I was able to limp it to the track. The track folks called a local shop they use and they're going to come look tomorrow.

I've got a video of the problem at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69s0l1ujmz25cvj/ultrashift fail.MOV?dl=0

Any ideas what it could be?

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Wiring harness is a “known” issue with the earlier models. X-Y shifter?  Road speed sensor on tranny and one on the truck. Check your fuses at the battery location. Low voltages?

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=RR_TRTS-0930

Has Volvo, or other mechanic shops, taken on the concept of the "Lube and Tune" auto shops that don't make money doing oil changes, and up sale every customer they can, or create an "issue" so that their bonus amounts can be larger than their hourly wage.  Plus it makes a whole lot of extra for the shop?  It's time for a dirty, down and under investigation of these guys.  I think that the midsize, and small trucking companies would be interested and it would shut down some of these practices of throwing parts and labor fees at everything.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We went through a similar thing a while back.  We had our truck into a Cummins shop to sort out a rough running issue.  We'd tried to get it fixed in Anchorage, but got hosed by incompetent mechanics, and a service writers who were less than forthcoming.  Another forum member suggested we take it to the shop where he was based, and he'd peek in occasionally.

So, when we dropped off the truck, the shop foreman told me he heard a random miss at idle, and he'd wager it was sucking air at the FSMP (Fuel System Management Plate).  Long story, short, they ran up a near $7k labor charge by following the "diagnostic tree", per company policy, only to find it was indeed the FSMP.  Forum buddy got a bunch of the labor knocked down, but it was still costly.

Another case of "Technicians" not knowing what the seasoned "Mechanic" had learned, the hard way.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It was still failing after the TCU was replaced. They had cleaned the range valve and replaced the O-rings in it, but not replaced it. I insisted and it solved the problem.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Archived