Dometic RM3862

Handell35

I purchased a 1996 Terry 32.5 5th wheel.  I knew upon purchase the refrigerator did not work. 

The eyebrow panel has absolutely no lights.  I removed the panel on the back and plugged the refrigerator into an extension cord from my home just to guarantee power.  I followed the Dometic service manual for RM3862.  I made it to this item and had no voltage where do I go from here? 

Check for DC volts between terminal 3, red wire (-) negative and terminal 5 (green wire) and terminal 1 (black wire). If there is no voltage, the ON/OFF switch on upper circuit board is defective.

1533950292389.jpg

28 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Is there 12 vdc power to the unit from the battery. The control voltage is 12dc. If there is no 12vdc to the unit the 120 vac will not function.

This exactly what I was about to post. All of the control circuitry of an RV refrigerator uses 12V-DC power from the battery or the power converter so you need to supply 120V to the RV and make sure the lights(which are also 12V) are working to know that it is available. Since you have a meter you may want to verify that you have 12V available as well. Is it safe to assume that you have already checked the two fuses on the main circuit board with your ohm meter to be sure that they are good? There is a 3a fuse for the 12V power and a 5a fuse for the 120v. That 3a fuse would give you exactly what you describe if open.

While troubleshooting to see why it doesn't work is a very good first step, I would also remember that the refrigerator is now 22 years old and for that reason, I would not put a great deal of money into it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes I checked both fuses on the bottom circuit board.  They both look fine and tested fine.  Where would I check for 12vdc power at?  My interior lights all work and function fine from the battery, it's a brand new battery.  No I do not plan on spending much money on this refrigerator but before I replace it I do not mind investing some time. 

8 hours ago, Handell35 said:

Where would I check for 12vdc power at? 

dometic_3858022019_refrigerator_terminal 

RV refrigerators have leads for 12V that connect to a terminal block to supply 12V power. Most of them look something like this.   You should measure at least 11V between the two leads. Another place to check would be from each end of the 3a fuse to chassis ground which would show that there is power to the fuse.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived