Frig Igniter

We have a Dometic RM7401UL refrigerator in our RV.  It works fine on electric.  When we turn it to propane the ignitor clicks but there are no sparks.  We can smell propane in the rear compartment but there is no ignition.  does this mean that we need a new burner assembly or can the ignitor just be replaced?  Is there any thing else that could be causing this problem?  We've cleaned everything we can.

A simple thing to check is the flu above the burner.  On my last RV, I had a piece of styrofoam insulation that broke off and fell into the flu.  It lodged just above the burner, but out of site when looking at the burner.  It blocked the airflow and would not allow ignition of the gas burner.  Once I discovered the blockage and removed it, everything went back to functioning normally.  I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but it could be and is an easy thing to check once you know what to look for.  If I remember correctly, I had to remove a tin panel/shield to be able to see the bottom of the flu and once I did that was when I saw the styrofoam lodged in it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The most likely cause of flame failure is carbon from the flu falling on the burner and igniter.  If that isn't the case I try to light the flame manually.  Have someone turn on the refrigerator and when you hear it clicking try lighting it.  If it lights then the ignitor or circuit board maybe bad.  If it doesn't light then the flu may be blocked.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I very much agree with the replies above. I would start by applying the suction hose of a shop vacuum to the burner area and then try again. To answer the first question, yes the ignition probe can be replaced. See item 521 on this linked drawing.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would remove the igniter wire from the source . Then install a new wire attached to the source and have the other end about a 1/8" from a good ground. And not near the burn chamber. Try it on gas and see if it sparks to ground.

If so then the wire to ignition point I shorting to ground. Does this fridge have a separate igniter . Such as a white box. 

Sometimes the ceramic that is holding the igniter will give up and let the ignition go to ground. There may be enough dirt to create a trac line to ground.

Just a start,.   Vern

Archived