Residential Refridgerator

champ_49

I have a 10 cu ft. residential fridge in my 5th wheel. I don't have an inverter and want to put it in one. Only want to power up the fridge with it. What size inverter should I invest in. I realize the initial start up takes a big draw so I know I need one to accommodate that situation,

Thanks

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Most inverters have a significant surge rating which may be more than double the continuous rating. So they handle initial start-up pretty well.

Do you have any documentation on your refrigerator, such as rated amp draw or wattage? That would be the best way to size an inverter. Lacking that, a device like a "Kill A Watt" should give you the information you need to properly size an inverter. Since you only want to put the refrigerator on the inverter that should be all the information you need. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, champ_49 said:

I have a 10 cu ft. residential fridge in my 5th wheel. I don't have an inverter and want to put it in one. Only want to power up the fridge with it. What size inverter should I invest in. I realize the initial start up takes a big draw so I know I need one to accommodate that situation,

Thanks

Here is a link to a good company that will have what your looking for.  I would recommend a 1000watt "pure sine wave inverter" which will most likely be more than adequate.  Give them a call as they are very helpful in helping callers.    https://www.donrowe.com/

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I also use a dedicated 1000 watt PSW inverter (in addition to my 3000 watt whole house inverter) to power my residential fridge.  This way I can just power the fridge with the small inverter, or I can power everything with the large inverter.  Remember to take into account the ice maker power draw (if so equipped) in addition to the normal refrigerator operation.  A 1000 watt inverter will do the job well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Chad - should a 110v Danfoss compressor fridge be supplied with a true sine wave inverter?

While I have heard of the Danfoss compressor style fridges, I don't have any experience with them.  As a result, I'm not sure what they come with.  I personally would prefer a pure sign wave inverter for any 120 volt electrical needs though.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

7 hours ago, noteven said:

Chad - should a 110v Danfoss compressor fridge be supplied with a true sine wave inverter?

I think it's really false economy to invest in an expensive, high quality fridge and then feed it low quality electricity. It's like a buying a premium car and putting the cheapest gas in it you can find. It'll PROBABLY work, but is PROBABLY good enough to protect your investment? I'm sure there's a better analogy out there somewhere, but that's the general gist of my thinking.. Jay

I've been told that anything with a circuit board should have a pure sine wave inverter. If your fridge has any lighted indicators you can bet there's a circuit board in there somewhere.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

20 hours ago, noteven said:

Chad - should a 110v Danfoss compressor fridge be supplied with a true sine wave inverter

A Danfoss 110v compressor is just like any other 110v volt compressor and it can be run on a good modified or pure sine wave inverter. 

Not all modified inverters are the same, the cheap ones can be just square wave like you may find at discount stores but the more expensive ones use a step wave and will run about anything including electronics. Pure sine wave ones just use more steps so it looks more like a pure sine wave. I have a Xantex 1800 watt modified and it will run anything in our trailer without any problem including our dish receiver. If you have a good one I would use it and replace it with a pure sine wave if or when it fails in the future. I run both our chest freezer and dorm refrigerator on it going down the road with no problems, the truck keeps the batteries charged.

If you are thinking about the Danfoss refrigerators that will run on 12vdc they are a 110v compressor that has a dedicated inverter built into it so it won't need a inverter at all just 12vdc.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

My father-in-law thought like Denny that a good quality modified sinewave inverter would run anything and argued with me spendingt the extra for a pure sinewave inverter.  He did not believe a friend who said the same inverter my father--in-law had fried his electric blanket controls when he tried to get the bed warm in cold weather.  Then my father-in-law left his electric toothbrush plugged in when the inverter kicked in and fried it.  When his inverter died, he replaced it with a pure sinewave inverter and never looked back. 

Right now DonRowe.com has a Kisae 1000 watt pure sinewave inverter on sale for $169.  How much money would someone save going for a good modified sinewave inverter instead?  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

52 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

How long are you away from hookups? Our unit died and we have no problems so far with no power to fridge while traveling. We don't open it either traveling. 

We are just the opposite we run when traveling to keep the freezer froze because sometimes we drycamp at night.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

My father-in-law thought like Denny that a good quality modified sinewave inverter would run anything and argued with me spendingt the extra for a pure sinewave inverter.  He did not believe a friend who said the same inverter my father--in-law had fried his electric blanket controls when he tried to get the bed warm in cold weather.  Then my father-in-law left his electric toothbrush plugged in when the inverter kicked in and fried it.  When his inverter died, he replaced it with a pure sinewave inverter and never looked back. 

Right now DonRowe.com has a Kisae 1000 watt pure sinewave inverter on sale for $169.  How much money would someone save going for a good modified sinewave inverter instead?  

I didn't say they would run everything, I  check anything I run on it before long term use. And like it's said they all aren't created equal, I found that out when running a laptop and printer in my work truck a few years back some work some don't, the one that didn't went to the trash.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Archived