Snowbird flight path east of Rockies?

noteven

Summer camp is not too far from The Longest Surveyed Straight Line in The World so there are options when flying south in the first half a November. 

Would travelling through Billings, Casper, Cheyenne, Denver, and making a right toin at Albuquerque  kind of a route be asking for it weather wise?

I think I can make it snow in July on I15 by simply showing up dragging a rv 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

You know how accurately weather can be predicted..... look up the 'history' on a weather site for those areas in November to give you an idea.  Could be nice... but then again....   Where are you heading from Albuquerque?  I'd even suggest continue heading south to I-10.  Lots of neat things to site-see along that route in November.  Big Bend  Nat'l Park is gorgeous at that time.... bright yellow cottonwoods against a blue sky and perfect weather.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

12 hours ago, noteven said:

Summer camp is not too far from The Longest Surveyed Straight Line in The World so there are options when flying south in the first half a November. 

Would travelling through Billings, Casper, Cheyenne, Denver, and making a right toin at Albuquerque  kind of a route be asking for it weather wise?

I think I can make it snow in July on I15 by simply showing up dragging a rv 

Your odds of having snow free pavement on I-25 in early November are very good. 

Keep in mind "weather" happens any time of the year. If you can, plan on 2-5 extra days for your travels, so you can just stop in an RV Park for a few days until the snow is cleared off the highway. 

As 2Gypsies wrote, look at the weather history for the cities you will travel through.  The one website I use is https://www.wunderground.com/  Once you are on the website, enter the city and then click on "calendar".  This will give you the current month of weather highs, lows and rain.  With just a click or two you can change the month and year to view the actual history going back 30 years or so.  Look at the number of days in those months that actually have significant snow.  You will probably find that a very small number of days in the 1st half of November actually have snow which will stop travel in an RV going back over the last 10 years.  So your odds of hitting those days is small. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I used to drive from the Black Hills of SD to my winter ranch in southern NM each fall around the first week in Nov, using your route (except the Billings part).  Each year is different and in the fall one week here or there can be the difference between an early storm or bright sunny skies.  The only spot on that route that was a concern more than once, was Raton Pass on the CO-NM border. But in Nov, any storm going through will be short lived and followed quickly by more warm sunshine. Watch the forecast, be prepared to stop for a night or day before you hit the pass and you'll be fine.

Jim

Lots of N & S highways in the center of the USA.  US-287 from Denver to Amarillo and beyond is good.  Also there is US-385, US-83, US-183 as well as US-281.  However if you are going to go that far east from Billings, MT to pick up US-281 you might as well go on to US-81 then go south to I-135 and then I-35.  Any of the US highways listed above are going to be a slow drive, if your intent is to get to wherever you are going in the south.   On the other hand, stopping for 2-3 nights, in small towns every 300 miles or so and exploring  the sights and history of each place, along any of the US highway would be a relaxing trip to the south. Instead of hurried drive of 4-6 days, take 2-3 weeks for the trip.

Also keep in mind, by taking the US highways instead of the interstate will take longer and give you greater exposure to the possibility of a winter storm catching up with you.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 8/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, noteven said:

If you plan to turn right at Albuquerque, does that mean you plan to go west on I40? If so I'd consider Flagstaff area to be the highest risk for bad roads but also I very much agree with JRP that you could easily stop for a day or two and have good roads again. 

12 hours ago, noteven said:

I’m kinda thinking Hwy 281 

I would say that while US281may have slightly lower risk of snow but when it does happen the delay to wait for road conditions to improve is probably going to be longer if it should happen and that will add significantly more distance to the trip. I have traveled I25 many times and while bad weather does happen, most snow along that route is later in the year than your planned trip and storms that do happen will hit US281 a day or two later as they travel to the east. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would just go on a ride about.

That is just leave and go where and when it is possible.

Now I have been stuck for a week by going in that mode , but you get to see things in a different perspective some times.

Just do not pass me and leave us sit in snow, while are in sunshine.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

I travel for the journey  mostly not the “get there”

Bugs Bunny forgot to toin right at Albuquerque and look what happened to him...

Last year I passed by Vern’s 150 mi east on one November and made a snowage event that almost trapped them...

Vern I solemnly promise not to leave youse guys snowed in this fall...😎. 1st step would be to stay away fr where yer’at until you have launched maybe. 

As far as CA precipitation I think that is above my pay grade.  Thoughts out to everyone under wildfire threat this summer...

We have about 3 mi visibility here near Edmonton AB today in smoke, and air quality index “hazardous” today - improving tomorrow ... rain is needed in our forests too

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived