Carefree Awning Multiple Seam Failures

MoSKP9

]We have a 2017 New Horizons 33 TT that has 2 Carefree of Colorado Latitude model awnings. Both have failed at the seam where the protective cover material joins the fabric. They are only joined with a small width of tape. While in Arizona in June it was hot with zero wind. I looked at the awning prior to closing it as I always do and noticed that the tape was only stuck to one side and there was about a 3 foot long open gap at one end. Apparently, Carefree puts one stitch of thread on each end and then puts the tape in the middle.  I then opened up the other awning and checked it. It had the same problem, however, it was only a few inches long. My 1 year warranty was expired by a few months, but I thought that I would call a dealer and ask if defective material/workmanship would be covered. The answer was no and furthermore, this is an ongoing problem that Carefree is having with this Latitude model. I then decided to contact New Horizons and see if they could get anywhere with Carefree since they(NH) are installing them on their trailers. Again the answer was no, and it will cost me $800 per awning to have the fabric replaced.  Now. I had to ask myself  "Why would I pay $1,600 every year or so to relace my awning fabric with a known seam failure design"? I think that is the definition of Insanity.  I guess that I'm going to have to fix it myself if I want it fixed for my long term FT use.  My solution is going to be to remove the awning fabric and take it to a good canvas shop and have them sew the entire length of the seam using Gortex thread and then seal the seam. Then at least the seam will last as long as the fabric does. I just read on Facebook about another NH owner that had the same problem 2 weeks prior to his warranty expiring and Carefree replaced his under the warranty,  so they are just replacing them if you get in inder the wire, however,  the next one is going to be your expense. One more design flaw with this model is that the plastic  awning end caps fall off during travel. Three of mine were replaced by NH so now I have them secured with black zip ties. It doesn't look great but it solves the problem of them falling off while you are driving. I wanted to pass on my experience with Carefree so that others can check their awnings for these factory defects prior to their warranties expiration date or if it is past the date it will be easier to correct the problem before the seam fails completely. And if you are planning on buying a new one you will know what you are getting yourself into. I only wish that someone would have posted about this problem with Carefree before I  purchased my 2 awnings. Obviously, my next new awning purchase  will not be one made by Carefree of Colorado! 

fnMLSAUl.jpg

You should post on the IRV2 New Horizons forum as some of us don't do the facebook thing.  This should be brought forward as 2 years IS NOT acceptable!!!!!!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Good idea. I'll do that. In the meantime I found a RV service shop that will remove the fabric for me and now I am trying to find a good place to get the fabric sewn together so that it will last a lot longer than 1 year. Carefree should be doing a factory recall on everyone of these Latitude model awnings for this problem while they still have some semblance of a reputation.  I won't need it by then, however,  everyone else that bought one will.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

Find a canvas repair shop.  Maybe call a truck trailer shop who might know the local guy who makes truck covers. Makes me mad that NH or the maker won't confess of poor quality.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I'm in Wyoming now working my way east towards Elkhart, Indiana for a visit to Moryde. That's where I'm planning on getting this fixed properly. While doing research to try and get this work done I called the Carefree of Colorado distribution center in Elkhart to find out who could do the removal and reinstall of the fabric. They told me that they were "disappointed" that their home office would not do anything about it. They were helpful in that they gave me the contact info for a local Elkhart company that was capable of doing the R/R. Today I'm starting my search for a canvas repair shop, so thank you for the helpful suggestions. I do not blame New Horizons as they did try to get this resolved with Carefree. I'm sure that they are smart enough to immediately stop installing this Latitude model on their units. I previously owned a manufacturing business and understand the problems with vendors that refuse to acknowledge their problem products, much less doing anything about them. We had a simple solution for this, we stopped purchasing from them and found somebody else that cared more about their customers.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea. I'll do that. In the meantime I found a RV service shop that will remove the fabric for me and now I am trying to find a good place to get the fabric sewn together so that it will last a lot longer than 1 year. Carefree should be doing a factory recall on everyone of these Latitude model awnings for this problem while they still have some semblance of a reputation.  I won't need it by then, however,  everyone else that bought one will.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

UPDATED AUGUST 27, 2018

I just finished solving the problem of the failed, poorly designed seams in both of my Carefree Of Colorado Awnings. My total cost for fixing their product was $800. I paid $650 for the removal/reinstall of the fabric on both awnings and $150 for the sewing of a new 2" wide strip of material over their poor tape job.This material was sewed on top and bottom the entier length of the width of both awnings.  This was 1/2 the cost of replacing the fabric with the same problematic new material from Carefree which would have failed again in about 14 months just like my original awnings. Now I'm expecting this seam to last as long as the fabric does. It was a lot of BS to go through with 2 awnings that were 14 months old. Carefree just told me "Too bad for you, your warranty was up after 12 months so either by new fabric from us or go get them sewn up yourself". Obviously,  I well never purchase from them again.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

Glad you found a solution to your problem, sorry it cost you so much.

Actually, I was quite surprised to read your original post.  I had a quite different experience.  Three years ago I called Carefree asking for a part to my electric awning.  The cog which mounts on the motor shaft and drives the roller had stripped out and I needed a new one.  I asked them if I could buy a new one with some instructions for replacing it.

Carefree responded that they had redesigned the cog and that they would send me the newly designed complete motor assembly for free, which they did through overnight delivery.  I never priced the assembly but I assumed that it probably sold for at least a few hundred dollars, not to mention shipping which would not have been cheap.

I called them fully expecting to spend some money.  If they had told me I had to buy a new motor assembly, I would have.  Why?  The awning was over five years old at the time.  I have to assume that something has happened in the past three years to change their attitude.  It's a shame.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived