Changing tire with Level Up system

SuiteSuccess

Lippert manual says not to lift trailer wheels off the ground with Level Up but I know many do.  What is your method?  My first experience having trailer with Level Up.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I use my level up system to lift. Any 2 jacks can support the entire state of your rv. I am at 21,000 lbs and have had no issues. If your site is unlevel you will have the tires on one side off the ground. What is the difference.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Hi Suite,

I don't have the level up. I have bigfoots. However, I have used them to pick up the rig for a flat, changing out broken springs and I use them ever time I grease the rig so I can check those neverlube bearing for play. I just put use the individual buttons and lift the entire side I want to work on. Don't remember if I have ever had all 4 off at the same time but the bigfoot would do it.

I also carry a small shovel to dig tire holes on the high side on unlevel sites if the tires is going to come off the ground. Just make sure you have enough truck to pull it back out of the hole.

😀😀

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On our Travel Supreme we used the Big Foot to raise the trailer to change tires. Only thing is to be careful to raise a side in unison to preclude torquing the frame.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I wonder if that is a liability statement that Lippert puts out there.  I too have had my tires off the ground.  All of them when the bearings are being checked.  Did the same thing with BigFoot although you do have to be careful not to torque the frame.   Not so with level up.  You raise it side to side.  No torquing.  I would suggest blocks under all the legs so you don't run them out all the way.

With the Teton, the only efficient way to bleed the brakes was to take off all wheels.  Block up the rig when you do this!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Actually Big Foot has the side to side control.  And Big Foot has the same liability statement that Lippert has about raising the trailer for changing tires.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

12 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Actually Big Foot has the side to side control.  And Big Foot has the same liability statement that Lippert has about raising the trailer for changing tires.

That is good to hear that Big Foot has changed.  As you know, mine was from 2005.  When it lifted a side, it would only be one leg at a time.  Even when it was self leveling!  Of course, with that Teton frame, no worries.

Take care Mark.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

29 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

That is good to hear that Big Foot has changed.  As you know, mine was from 2005.  When it lifted a side, it would only be one leg at a time.  Even when it was self leveling!  Of course, with that Teton frame, no worries.

Take care Mark.

We had the controller replaced by Quadra with the blue tint easier to read display.  Since Lippert copier many Big Foot things, Quadra copied back features like front-back and side-side control and the return to disconnect point from Lippert.  And the added remote fob. 

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

any jack you have will have the same liability disclaimer and warnings. It's all about liability.

Agree, use blocks so you don't run the legs out too far. If you are worried about torquing the frame, just use all the jacks. When I had the bigfoots installed, they showed me how to lift all the tires off the ground. :) 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

One thing I did notice was when raising one side or the other with a Lippert level-up system, it is possible to raise the high side far enough (having passed the "tire off the ground" point) that the system will respond with with an error message to the effect of "out of range" Don't ask how I know

The simplest way to avoid/correct this bit of foolishness is to block the opposite side jacks with something similar to 6X6 blocks. When you're jacking without the blocking, the off side tires and springs will compress somewhat, effectively increasing the angle. The blocks make the offside rigid and the angle won't increase and you can get your "side of interest" to jack up or down without the old "out of range" message.

I should also point out that in some cases, multiple, but thinner, blocking works better, allowing you to "walk" up to the height you need. Remember, the issue is not power, it's the controller sensing a wildly out of level situation and is trying to keep you from bending something.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived