Welding box to rv plug

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I looked in the resource guide and did a search of the forum to find any help about putting together an adapter to go from my 50 amp welding receptacle to a rv plug but I could not find anything. I remember reading some thing that the rv is wired different then the way a welding circuit is wired. But I can not find that info either. Can someone point me in the right direction about putting together an adapter ? It would be nice ever so offend to use that circuit in my barn to plug my trailer into.

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

28 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I know the difference, but let me see if I can explain it.

Your welder is 50amp 220v

Your RV is 50 amp 120v.

It is how the breakers in the house panel are wired that makes the difference.  

Does the welder plug have 4 pins or 3 pins? If it’s 4 then it’s not hard but I’d its 3 you’ll have to pull the receptacle and see if the box is being feed with 4 wires. If it is you can replace or add another receptacle. 

John & Joyce

N6BER

Your welder is 50 amp, 240 volt, meaning it doesn't have a neutral. Your RV is 50 amp, 120/240, and it needs a neutral. Essentially, it runs as 2 separate 120 volt supplies, as RV's typically don't have too many 240 volt loads.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The RV needs hot, hot, neutral, ground to work properly.  You cannot adapt between the two (3 wire welder to 4 wire RV).  It would be easier to just run new wire from the panel to a new RV style 50 amp plug (a new circuit).  If the wire run isn’t very long, it isn’t very expensive to do.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

DO NOT USE A WELDING PLUG FOR THE RV.  Totally wrong application.  Do not use an RV plug for a welder, thats totally wrong as well.

As said above,  RV uses 2 120VAC circuits with a neutral while the welder has no neutral and uses 1 240VAC circuit. 

Marcel

This is not per NEC however, IF you wire a  NEMA 4 wire 14-50 recep in your shop, you CAN use your welder with that plug.    The NEMA 6-50 is the same plug without the neutral lug.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

18 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

The RV needs hot, hot, neutral, ground to work properly.  You cannot adapt between the two (3 wire welder to 4 wire RV).  It would be easier to just run new wire from the panel to a new RV style 50 amp plug (a new circuit).  If the wire run isn’t very long, it isn’t very expensive to do.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the comments. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I am not going to put together any adapter. I like Chad's idea. I have a fuse box / panel in the barn. I have room to add a couple of breakers. I want to get the right parts. Here is my shopping list. One two pole 50 amp breaker, wire size ? , and four prong electric range receptacle. Is this a good shopping list ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, typically , unless you have a very long wire run, 6 gauge wire will carry 50 amps.  With your 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground you actually have 100 amps available in the camper....2 legs of 50 amps each.       Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I have this box on the back of my property, I do however want to replace it as it does not have a way to shut off the power to it in the box like the one that Scrap suggested.  I need to go back to the house kick the breaker than walk back out plug in the camper than walk back in to turn the breaker back on.

Scrap's version looks like the breakers can be kicked at the box to reduce arcing the end of the plug.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

alan0043   Just remember when you wire to the panel box you are getting 1 pole 120 volts amped and wired to whatever amperage you need. As stated before our RV's don't like 220 power! They get indigestion.    Pat

The Old Sailor

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

alan0043   Just remember when you wire to the panel box you are getting 1 pole 120 volts amped and wired to whatever amperage you need. As stated before our RV's don't like 220 power! They get indigestion.    Pat

The Old Sailor

No, No, No!

A 50 amp RV is wired as a 120/240 service. This means 2 pole feed, with a neutral. They can run on a single pole feed (15 or 30 amp) if a suitable adaptor is used, but the available power will be greatly reduced. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived