Where in the US will you find the most pleasant days in a year?

KodiakJack

When I was unable to search for and find the map posted here a couple years back showing the average temperature for cities around the US I turned to the web and I came on a cool map that shows this information is a "pleasant"  manner.  Though you might be interested.  Enter a zip code or just click on the area of interest.

http://kellegous.com/j/2014/02/03/pleasant-places/

Later,

J

PS “pleasant” here means the mean temperature was between (55° F and 75° F), the minimum temperature was above 45° F, the maximum temperature was below 85° F and there was no significant precipitation or snow depth.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

After living in San Diego for 35 years and have been full time RVing for the last 5 years I can say that San Diego has the best weather in the country. I only left because of the extream traffic conditions. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Yes, if you only use weather as a factor, then the 5 top "pleasant" places  are in California.  But my years in Ca proved it to be a very unpleasant place to live when all factors are considered.

Jim

I wish there was a way to alter the map and delete anything in California, to us that just not an option. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Thanks for the link. I plan to play with it a bit. St Paul (Twin Cities) initially shows 63 days. That doesn't really reflect how it feels to live here. We're good from Mar or April 15 (Winters are all over the map so to speak) to Oct 15. So 6 months very good. It's the other 6 I'm worried about.🤔😎

1 minute ago, ToddF said:

We're good from Mar or April 15 (Winters are all over the map so to speak) to Oct 15. So 6 months very good. It's the other 6 I'm worried about.🤔😎

Um. Traditionally we get as much snow in March as we've received so far that winter. April snow is becoming more common. When we were tent camping we never went out before the end of May. I'd say we're good June through Sept or Oct. Most local campgrounds turn off their water Oct 15th.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think the past few years have reduced the number of pleasant days for California - - drought, heat (106 in San Francisco last Labor Day), wild fires, mud flows.   And the number of pleasant days have increased in the Seattle area in the past couple of years.  In fact they have had a lot of 85+ days already this year!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I lived in Oakland for 3 years, and I will say there aren't going to be many other places with better overall weather.  The site in the original post says 153 days/year but I think that is for SF, which has its own micro climates.  I reckon the average for  that particular part of Oakland I was in was around 300 days per year, if not more.   I was once able to leave an ongoing project I was working on outdoors for almost 5 months without fear of rain.  But things were still as green and lush as anywhere else I've been.  

I currently full-time in Lake Tahoe, and the site says 39 days/year.  But I'm a sucker for chillier weather and coldsmoke powder, so I'm right where I should be......

On 7/30/2018 at 6:14 PM, JRP said:

Yes, if you only use weather as a factor, then the 5 top "pleasant" places  are in California.  But my years in Ca proved it to be a very unpleasant place to live when all factors are considered.

2nd that!

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

With all the freaky weather events and temperature extremes the last few years I really don't put much stock in any list of "average" temperatures or "average" snowfall  numbers.  We became Florida residents for the warm winter temps and to get away from snow and summer tornadoes.  In the last 4 years Cape Coral/Ft. Myers has been hammered by a hurricane and two damaging tornado events!  But it is still staying warm in the winter I guess.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Same a the previous post, "Daily and monthly averages mean very little to me".  At least as far as places to visit.  Perhaps for living that may be different.

Since we, as many on this forum do, travel to visit places during the time of the year is nicer and avoid the times when there is nasty weather, I depend on a weather history calendar to show me the range of weather to expect in an area. 

The weather history calendar for the time of year, either 1 week or 2 months, shows me the actual highs, lows and rain fall for every day of  that month going back for 30 or more years. 

Looking at the data and seeing that most, say 70-80%, of days have weather which we will enjoy, we can toss out the very cold, very hot, or rainy days and feel we have a very good chance on having the majority of our days being the pleasant weather we enjoy. 

Weather Underground has the calendar function I make the most use of.  Just go to https://www.wunderground.com/   enter the city or town you want to visit.  When the current weather comes up, click on "calendar", then change the year and month to when you plan on visiting.  With just a couple of clicks you can go back year by year viewing the weather for that month or any other month you choose. 

If we are visiting the desert country, most days with highs in the mid 50's to 70's and occasional 80's with bright sunshine is perfect.  Having a day or three with highs in the 30's and occasional early mornings down into the teen's or lower every 2-4 years, as well as a snow fall of several inches to a foot, that melts in a day or two, just doesn't matter.  It is the fact that most all the weather is very pleasant that is important.  In fact, being out in a scenic location and having 4 inches of snow is a real treat.  The hills, mountains, trees, bushes, rocks, etc covered in snow is beautiful.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

In plugging in where we live in central FL, it told me what I already know. I LOVE the winters in FL, but summer is hideous. It was funny that July & August (maybe June??) were at 0. This year, however, we had nice weather well into late May or early June. I almost forgot summer (and high humidity) was coming. But, when it hit...IT HIT. It's really all relative to what you consider bad or are used to. We've been in the N. GA mountains and now Asheville NC. For us, this is cool enough as it's MUCH better than summer in FL.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

2 hours ago, Al F said:

"Daily and monthly averages mean very little to me".  At least as far as places to visit.  Perhaps for living that may be different.

I don't really think that they mean much to anyone who lives in a particular place. Of all of the places that I have lived, not just visited I liked the weather of Cheyenne, WY best. At the time I considered the most important weather features to be maximum sun, low humidity, and not too hot. Now that a lot more years have passed, cold bothers me much more than it once did and so the winters there are not appealing at all, but that's OK since I don't live there any longer. I have spent 2 years or more in 7 states and 3 months or more in about 30 more. As I look back there were good things and bad in every one of them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Al F said:

a snow fall of several inches to a foot, that melts in a day or two, just doesn't matter.  It is the fact that most all the weather is very pleasant that is important.  In fact, being out in a scenic location and having 4 inches of snow is a real treat.  The hills, mountains, trees, bushes, rocks, etc covered in snow is beautiful.  

Yes, shallow new snow is pretty. It is old snow or really deep snow that causes the most discomfort. Or when it gets too cold to snow.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

IMHO San Diego is the only part that has a civilised climate year round.

The rest of the USA is either too hot or too cold at times. There are exceptions like New York that are both to hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Retreat to my flame proof bunker amid shouts of 'INCOMING'.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Living in the snow belt of upstate NY on the shores of Lake Ontario, it looks like we have 49 "pleasant" days a year.  While that is probably why I head for Arizona for the winters, those summertime 49 days along the lake are wonderful!  Too bad about the 200" of snow over the winter!

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Redwood City is about midway between San Francisco and San Jose on the S.F. peninsula.  It's slogan is "Climate Best By Government Test".

The Weather Service used to have it's regional office there, and supposedly the local climate tied with the Canary Islands and North Africa's Mediterranean Coast as the best climate on earth.

Unfortunately, it's not an RV friendly area, but I lived there while attending college and the weather was very nice year round.  Not too hot in the summer and mild winters well above freezing.

22 hours ago, vermilye said:

Living in the snow belt of upstate NY on the shores of Lake Ontario, it looks like we have 49 "pleasant" days a year.

My kids who are big into skiing would debate what qualifies as a pleasant weather day.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

My kids who are big into skiing would debate what qualifies as a pleasant weather day.

20°F is perfect for cross-country skiing. At least, it was back when we were young enough to do enjoy doing that. :)

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Archived