Volvo running warm

bluflame11

Hi Everyone!  I am looking to see if anyone has any advice or has been through this before.

I have noticed that my truck gets warmer than I think it should when pulling hills. I start watching the temperature gauge slowly climb while going up a hill to the point is turns on the "check" light as in the pic below. This only happens when pulling long grades with an outside temp over 75 degrees. Once or twice, it has warmed up as far as to trigger the "stop" light and displayed "engine coolant temp too high". but, mostly it just gets to the warning in the picture and stays there, then when I crest the hill, the temp comes back down and the light goes out. AS you can see in the photo, the temp gauge is nearing the red line.

I have had it to the local dealership on 3 occasions to try to figure this out. It leaves no codes in the computer for them. They have replaced the temperature sensor and the fan clutch, but this is still happening. I have asked them about whether I should replace the radiator or the water pump? they say that those rarely go bad, and they don't think that they are the problem. I even went so far as to take the truck hooked to the camper to have a tech ride with me with the computer hooked up....of course that turned out to be a beautiful, cool, 68 degree day and no matter how hard I ran the truck up hills, it would not heat up at all  ( of course...). They did ride along and confirmed the temperature gauge was reading correctly, so they ruled out a malfunctioning gauge. ... the following week we went to the beach and it heated up again...

I am at a loss and have no idea where to turn. I am worried  the truck could shut down somewhere, or It will run hot and cause damage...any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have been dealing with this situation for nearly 2 years now...

20180705_090238.jpg

What type and location of hills when running hot?
Year of truck? 
Engine?
Tranny? 
Trailer make and model and weight?
Last time you cleaned out the radiator fins? 
Coolant type, color and last changed? 
Are you loosing coolant? 
Any maintenance done to the truck lately?

Well I had this happen on a cat engine years ago when I hauled supplement for a feed lot.  The truck owner had me take the truck to a car wash and blow out the radiator fins because they were full of dirt from the dust.  It acted just like your situation so when the temp started to climb it was time to head back to the car wash.  Crazy thought but maybe it is worth trying.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Thanks for the thoughts and replies so far!

My truck is 2007 VNL 730 with the d12 and Eaton 10 speed 2 pedal trans. Purchased Jan 2017 with 600k. We have put 7-8k additional on it so far. Trailer is 2013 Sabre 36QBOK, 41 foot, weighing 13-14K.

I do hear the fan kicking in and it was verified by the tech that the clutch for the fan is working well. I don't recall hearing it before  the fan clutch was replaced, so I thought that would fix my problem.

My coolant is orange and I have never had the coolant flushed or changed, and I have not had it pressure tested...I am not sure where to get that done. We bought the truck last January. I do not know when/if it has been changed or flushed previously. I am not losing any coolant.

We had thought about the radiator fins. The truck was purchased from a corn farm and the air filter was extremely dusty, so it would make sense. Both myself and the dealership has inspected them and they seem to be very clear. I have rinsed with a regular garden hose.

Only recent maintenance to the truck was new brakes 3 months ago, and new fan clutch in Feb.

When we purchased the truck in Jan 2017, I had the dealership change oil and all oil, air,  and fuel filters.

The hills are in the East, PA, WV, And MD. Most recently, we have travelled I-68 through MD and WV when it has displayed this message.

I think I answered all that was asked...let me know if I can answer anything else!

I have wondered if the coolant may not be flowing well due to a partially blocked radiator or a defective water pump.

Simple test. A trick I learned from a mechanic friend. Turn the fan on manually. Set the high idle. (900) rpm Hold a rag up to the grill. It should suck it to the grill. If it don't then you are in need of a radiator cleaning.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Brainstorming here:  How about radiator hose collapse?  I have seen similar problems where the hose heats up, softens, collapses and restricts water flow.  Usually happens of the lower, suction hose.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Has the Thermostats  been replaced?  If the fan is coming on and the radiator is not clogged on the outside, I would look into the Tstat, water pump or clogged radiator.  I don't know about the D12s, but I had a fleet with Cat C15s and had a few water pump shafts snap and 1 or 2 on Cummins C series engines.  I would look at the Tstat  first.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Several years ago mine was detting warm on long hard pulls. It never showed any lights or codes .

Until finally it did on a long hard pull. Pulled over let it idle till normal. 

Next morning I only could get 10 lbs air pressure in truck. Installed a new air governor . Now the air built pressure as it should . Fan now comes better than ever.

Last fall my seliniod for the fan stuck on. Replace it and now the fan comes on at a lower temperature.

Maybe replace those two items. Along with cleaning the radiator.

Hope it helps,    Vern

I had the exact same issue with my 2013 730 with the D13.  After having a coolant drain/flush/fill it runs cool as a cucumber now. :) I had the same thoughts about all the other above mentioned possible issues but I decided to start with the easiest thing first and chase mechanical issues if that didn't work.

Good luck!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Archived