Shipping your RV and Truck Cross Country

Rayne

Hi All, 

I am new to forums, and new to being the only one with 2 legs in my RV.  Have had many types over the years.  First with my parents and then with my late husband.  So, I found the perfect truck camper and truck for me but problem is they are all the way out in Southern California.  Well, at least it will be on August 4th.  However, I am in central New York State.  So, here's my question, do any of you know of a good, insured trucking company that would haul them back for me across the country?  Or any other safe method as I do not want them damaged externally, nor do I want anyone else driving them.  The rig and truck i'm getting are a rare find indeed so I want to protect them.  

Now, to put you all in the same frame of mind as I am about this let me assure you that a) I cannot fly out and drive it back myself as I am needed here to pack and move my houses contents into storage for the upcoming duration of my cross country trek that is scheduled to begin from New York State around the week of Halloween.  Plus in among this will be closing on the sale of my home too.  Also, I have two pups that I choose not to risk flying with me across country to go and pick up this rig, nor can I leave them behind for the month it will take me to drive back while doing at least some sight seeing along the way.  I want to start from here and end up out in Arizona and not the other way around.  I want out of here over the winter, not during the summer months for my last summer in my late husband and I's dream house...

I appreciate any suggestions and recommendations you chose to bestow upon me.  Thanks everyone.

Rayne

Rayne

2 Biewers, Miki and Timmy

2005 F-550 Lariat

2008Okanagan Truck Camper 116ULT 

I remember that on Ebay, most auctions for vehicles had a section where you could get a quote for having the vehicle shipped.  A quick look there shows that the link is to a company called Uship.

Uship

I can't help thinking it's going to be massively expensive.  Good Luck!

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums.

There are services that will drive a vehicle across the country. I am sure that you could arrange to have it trucked across but it will be much more costly. I suggest that you contact one of the freight companies such as Freight Center and compare rates to see if this is economically feasible.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a quote from  this company I think. It’s around $6,500.00. Ouch!  I looked into rail transport but due to the high speed of rail and the vehicles not being covered there is a big chance of damage to the exterior of either or both. 

I have thought of a driving service too and thats what I’m looking into now. However, unless the driver really l knows RV’s and remembers how tall he or she will be in that rig, I am concerned about the driver damaging the rig. Both are I pretty nearly not replaceable. 

The truck is a mint condition F550 with an 8’ Bed I’m it. And only 60,000 miles. The camper is a brand I still can’t spell. Lol. It’s the biggest camper ever made and it has 2 slides. It’s incredible!  I’d post a photo but apparently the ones I have are too large for this forum.  Keep the suggestions coming folks, and the names of companies or services that will transport like this too. We may find a perfect one that way. 

Wish me luck! 

Thanks, 

Rayne

Rayne

2005 F-550 Lariat

My former son-in-law's truck shop hauled a new 45' Prevost conversion from Quebec to Tucson on a double drop  trailer a couple of years ago. The charge was $4.50/mile plus about $2500 in loading/unloading fees, tolls, permits, etc.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

To see what the cost of having it driven & insured, check these links:

Driveaway USA                 Bennett Transport             All-Pro Transport

Reliable Driveaway           Cross Country Driver        

A driver would probably take around 5 days to transport your new rig that 2600 to 2700 miles.  Labor, fuel, expenses could run anywhere from $2,500 to $4,000 or more depending on where he/she had to come from to start the transport, or return to upon completion.  I would think you could possibly find a bored retired full time RVer to take on the job, but it still won't be cheap.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Part of the expense for the drive-away companies is getting their driver returned home.  You, the owner, will bear the expense of getting the driver back home - an expense that is built into the cost.  I spoke with an owner of one drive-away company and learned that that particular company did not have a return route that would pay them - thus the driver's return to home was part of my cost.

I did not pursue the matter.  (I was trying to get my garden tractor shipped to Arizona from Washington.  Still haven't done it.)   

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I have tried and used UShip before and the trick is to be patient.  The last time I used them, the first quote was $899 for a truck bed shipped 175 miles. I was patient and the prices came all the way down to $245.  That was worth the wait.

Marcel

Before using uShip, take a look at Shipping Wars on the A&E Network.  Just saying.

They work on the principle of letting their contractors compete against each other, with the lowest bidder getting the job.  To me this indicates a willingness to cut corners as needed.

Try some of the companies Kirk suggested that deliver motorhomes from the Elkhart, IN RV manufacturing center to the rest of the country.  Their contractors routinely drive motorhomes of all sizes from the factories to dealers, so you shouldn't have to worry about a novice driving your rig.

The drivers have to arrange their own transportation back to the starting point, which is one of the factors (along with fuel costs) that are built into the cost of the move.  Someone who has just delivered a motorhome to a Los Angeles dealer will jump at the chance to earn extra money driving another motorhome (or truck camper) back across the country instead of deadheading on Greyhound.

The difference is the commercial transporters on Kirk's list pay their drivers a fixed amount per mile determined ahead of time instead of making them compete among themselves until they find the person willing to make the trip for the least amount of money.

Edited by Lou Schneider

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

The difference is the commercial transporters on Kirk's list pay their drivers a fixed amount per mile determined ahead of time instead of making them compete among themselves until they find the person willing to make the trip for the least amount of money.

And those companies all have insurance. 

13 hours ago, Rayne said:

I have a quote from  this company I think. It’s around $6,500.00. Ouch!  

So, I do not see this as a suggestion, and I know you talked about shipping, but....

For the money you are talking about what don't you just take a plane across country (take a friend too) and just drive it back? It would certainly be less expensive than shipping. If you are still working, can you take a week or so of vacation time? 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Hi Everyone, well, it's resolved.  The RV dealership that will also be doing all of my pre-trip repairs for me will transport it by driver for $4,500.  I wish I could go out and drive it back myself, but I would want to be able to sightsee along the way of course, and enjoy my time.  So, as they say, time is money!  

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Oh, and I made the mistake of requesting a quote from a site offering cross country RV transport and car and truck.  Well, they must send my contact info out to a lot of places because all of a sudden my phone started ringing and my text messages were flashing right and left from transporters all over the country bidding for my business.  YIKES!  

Rayne

Rayne

2005 F-550 Lariat

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Geraldnev said:

Thank you for the great topic and for the information. At least I know how much it costs now.

Welcome to the Escapee forums. Since this is an old thread you will need to get current prices.

• 8 months later...