MyDakotaAddress.com is shutting the doors

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

I don't think anyone even looks at the address on a check and how many checks does one write?? 2-3 a year, maybe.

Even though we were brought up with them, checks have far fewer protections against fraud than do credit cards.  In today's world you can email or fax someone a copy of a check and it can be deposited instantly with a mobile device.  Scary what could happen if you lost an entire checkbook.  We use them primarily to facilitate automatic withdrawals for bill pay purposes.  Very rarely do we ever write an actual check to anyone.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, docj said:

rarely do we ever write an actual check to anyone.

True. Except at Corps of Engineer Parks and other federal lands where you put your check in a post fondly called an Iron Ranger. Even the BLM's LTVA at La Posa South at Quartzsite has an iron ranger inside their office. They do NOT take credit cards.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

They do NOT take credit cards.

We have found this to also be true for many Passport America parks if you want the discount as they do not want to pay the card processing fee. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

28 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

If anyone happens to have had BOX 675 (last name of Price), USPS forwarded me some of your mail (my wife's last name is the same as yours). Figured I'd give the internet a shot before I Return to Sender with the chance it gets lost in the post office ether.  This one looks importante.  Thanks! 

Apparently, the Madison PO is forwarding mail for lots of people who have the same last names as those of us who have submitted mail forwarding requests even if we were careful to submit those requests as "individual" not family.  This is happening to us also and Your Best Address told me that we aren't alone in having this problem.  I plan on calling the Madison post office but I doubt I'll get much satisfaction.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 minute ago, docj said:

I plan on calling the Madison post office but I doubt I'll get much satisfaction.

It really isn't fair to blame the post office for this problem. They are trying to help deal with a mess that was no fault of theirs. 

On 8/19/2018 at 5:57 AM, SWharton said:

We keep a hoard of cash in  our safe for when we need cash.

We did this for the first year or two we were full-timing.  But we found we never needed it.  We can get cash by using our debit cards at Walmarts, most grocery stores and even ATM's if we need to.   Furthermore, these days it's rare to encounter a merchant who doesn't take credit or debit cards, and we don't use Passport America, so we don't need to worry about having cash for those parks.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

It really isn't fair to blame the post office for this problem. They are trying to help deal with a mess that was no fault of theirs. 

I never said I was blaming the PO, but they are the only ones who can fix it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

We did this for the first year or two we were full-timing.  But we found we never needed it.  We can get cash by using our debit cards at Walmarts, most grocery stores and even ATM's if we need to.   Furthermore, these days it's rare to encounter a merchant who doesn't take credit or debit cards, and we don't use Passport America, so we don't need to worry about having cash for those parks.

Lately, I'm starting to see more cashless credit/debit card only stores and restaurants. Not a lot yet to be sure, but it does seem to be a growing trend in some areas.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Lately, I'm starting to see more cashless credit/debit card only stores and restaurants. Not a lot yet to be sure, but it does seem to be a growing trend in some areas.

They pay a percentage on each transaction, but they do not have to pay for armored truck service and most importantly will not get robbed.  As there is no cash on premise.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

A decade ago when credit card processing "machines" were expensive devices that were controlled through a limited number of processing vendors,  deciding to accept credit cards was often a decision with significant economic impact.  These days, with inexpensive devices, such as Square, that attach to cell phones almost every small business can access card processing services at a modest cost.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

4 hours ago, docj said:

These days, with inexpensive devices, such as Square, that attach to cell phones almost every small business can access card processing services at a modest cost.

From FitSmallBusiness.com

The average effective rate for credit card processing varies by provider. In general, merchant processors will likely offer you an effective rate somewhere between 2.9% to 3.3%. You can try to negotiate that down, especially if you have high sales volume. ~ Jan 22, 2018

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:
6 hours ago, docj said:

These days, with inexpensive devices, such as Square, that attach to cell phones almost every small business can access card processing services at a modest cost.

From FitSmallBusiness.com

The average effective rate for credit card processing varies by provider. In general, merchant processors will likely offer you an effective rate somewhere between 2.9% to 3.3%. You can try to negotiate that down, especially if you have high sales volume. ~ Jan 22, 2018

Not sure what your point is.  What I was saying was that ~10 years ago the cost of the processing terminal itself was several hundred dollars upfront before any processing fees.  Today's smart phone "swipe devices" are often provided for free.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

21 minutes ago, docj said:

Not sure what your point is. 

I posted what the typical cost is. Nothing more, nothing complicated. Not sure what hardware cost would be today but there are too many different options to guess at that. I doubt it is very great now, as most electronic items have fallen in cost. 

I received an email from the Lake County Treasures office.  This is what it said,

SUBJECT: My Dakota Address Closure

You are receiving this message because our motor vehicle records indicate that you have been using a mail forwarding service based out of Madison, SD called My Dakota Address. As of July 31, 2018 this mail forwarding service has closed.

Our office wanted to reach out to you and provide a couple options with this situation.

If you have a social security number, a valid state or government issued photo id and a physical address within the United States, our office will still be able to assist you in the future with motor vehicle title and registration. Please contact our office to update your physical address so that you continue to receive your mail in the future. The 110 E Center St address is no longer valid. NOTE: You are not required to have a SD address or a SD driver license in order to title/register motor vehicles in South Dakota.

If you truly travel and do not have a physical address, then you will need to utilize a new mail forwarding service. After you have set up an address at a new mail forwarding service, then you will need to use the county where that mail service is located for motor vehicle titles/registrations. 

Also, please note that if you choose to utilize a mail forwarding service outside of Lake County, you hold a South Dakota driver license and were registered to vote in Lake County, please contact our Auditor’s office at 605-256-7600 to update you voter registry to the correct county. 

Contact our office if you have additional questions.

Thank you

Betty Wise

Deputy Treasurer

Office of Lake County Treasurer

605-256-7618

605-256-7624 Fax

Betty.wise@state.sd.us

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 1 month later...

Hello,

any update on Terri and her refunding $ to those who would be getting one ?

I spoke with her a month or so ago and she said she would be getting to it.

Later sent me an email asking if I had Paypal, which I didn't, so she said she would send a

check, noting yet.

24 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Just wondering, are you surprised? 

IMO the closure of MyDakotaAddress has several of the earmarks of a bankruptcy.  If that were the case, refunds to customers would not be allowed by the bankruptcy trustee until after a full analysis of the company's assets and liabilities.  If there are assets to be distributed, those holding obligations against the company would be paid whatever percentage of those debts the trustee determines is feasible.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

• 4 months later...

Right,

Do you think it would be supervised, or how would it be ?

How would "they" whoever "they" are ensure that everyone received their reimbursement ...

And how do we monitor and get updates as to the status ?

Site is closed, now email isn't working .

Anyone have an update on the situation ?

• 4 years later...