MyDakotaAddress.com is shutting the doors

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that different people have received different emails (at different times) and some have not received anything.

Hadn't even thought about the new Medicare cards - another thing to add insult to injury.  Most of what I do is on-line any more and it seems there is a path for the rest...just a pita to have to deal with it.  My new address is created with Americas Mailbox.  They now have a notice on the front page of their website but they were getting refugees as of last Thursday (?) when I started filling out the forms.  Hope things work out for everyone.

Just received a truncated version of the email posted earlier:

The post office is implementing a forwarding process.  
I believe it will be in place next week.  Not set up yet today, Saturday the
28th.  I would wait until Tuesday the 31st.
You will need to visit, www.usps.com.
Click track & manage
Click Change of Address
Click Get Started
Click Individual - this is a must, don't click family.
Contact Information
Enter Full name and full 110 E Center St address.
Click next
New Address

I will keep you posted of any further developments

2 hours ago, TCW said:

For those over 65 that are on Medicare and haven't been keeping track; according to the Medicare Website  the new cards are mailing NOW for South Dakota.

My wife and I just got our new cards in our last mail shipment. I did try to go on line to Social Security and change my address and it wouldn't let me sign in. Guess I'll have to call them too.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

2 hours ago, EagleEye said:

My wife and I just got our new cards in our last mail shipment. I did try to go on line to Social Security and change my address and it wouldn't let me sign in. Guess I'll have to call them too.

If your new Medicare card has been issued you can print a replacement one online.  Just follow the link for "send me a replacement card" and it will suggest that you print it.  I printed my new card even though I haven't received it in the mail.  OTOH, my wife, who is also an SD resident hasn't had her new card issued yet and can't print it online.

I had no problem signing into SSA and changing my address.  They have made security a bit tighter these days, but once you are online it was easy to change the address.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I posted re My Dakota on Fulltiming forum before finding the closing being discussed here.  We got the email late 7.28.  SKP friends who use them were not notified at all until we texted them.  Very upsetting since we have used My Dakota for 10+ years and have taken Terri to lunch a few times along with sending gift cards to her because the very good service.  Betrayed is putting it lightly.

I emailed the Escapees that their mail service should waive their start up fees like the other SD mail services are to help out those of us left to swing in the wind.  Haven't heard anything regarding my suggestion.  I worry about the decreased residency connection to SD with most of the mail sent directly to Livingston and the additional per item fee charged for any letter sent to their SD address.

Bill, Mo Rex & Princess

Fulltiming since 8/1993

06 Duramax 08 Cardinal 35

SKP 27411

45 minutes ago, bilmorvn said:

I posted re My Dakota on Fulltiming forum before finding the closing being discussed here.  We got the email late 7.28.  SKP friends who use them were not notified at all until we texted them.  Very upsetting since we have used My Dakota for 10+ years and have taken Terri to lunch a few times along with sending gift cards to her because the very good service.  Betrayed is putting it lightly.

I emailed the Escapees that their mail service should waive their start up fees like the other SD mail services are to help out those of us left to swing in the wind.  Haven't heard anything regarding my suggestion.  I worry about the decreased residency connection to SD with most of the mail sent directly to Livingston and the additional per item fee charged for any letter sent to their SD address.

I also asked Escapees if they were doing any specials as thousands are looking for a new domicile address.  They just said no.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

23 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

Interesting that different people have received different emails (at different times) and some have not received anything.

Hadn't even thought about the new Medicare cards - another thing to add insult to injury.  Most of what I do is on-line any more and it seems there is a path for the rest...just a pita to have to deal with it.  My new address is created with Americas Mailbox.  They now have a notice on the front page of their website but they were getting refugees as of last Thursday (?) when I started filling out the forms.  Hope things work out for everyone.

I agree as I just received my first email from them.

57 minutes ago, rynosback said:

I had heard that the Escapees address does not have wheel tax in there vehicle registration.  Is this true?

The Escapees service is based in Box Elder (same as Americas Mailbox) which is in Pennington County where there is no wheel tax YET. The state of SD continues to pressure all SD counties to implement a wheel tax.

Jim

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

I agree as I just received my first email from them.

With tomorrow the last day and they have already stopped accepting mail? Not a very ethical way of doing business, in my opinion. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well I think it was poor management at least with my account. I never received a bill  from them for postage or anything for at least 5 years. Then I got an invoice 2 months ago for over $600. Never a yearly renewal fee or anything. Just kept sending me my mail.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

1 hour ago, Ranger Smith said:

Well I think it was poor management at least with my account. I never received a bill  from them for postage or anything for at least 5 years. Then I got an invoice 2 months ago for over $600. Never a yearly renewal fee or anything. Just kept sending me my mail.

I paid them every year.  So they managed my account correctly.  Did you pay your bill?

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

With tomorrow the last day and they have already stopped accepting mail? Not a very ethical way of doing business, in my opinion. 

I would agree, but it is what it is and I am trying to move on.

I, like everyone else, was shocked to get my email today.  I've read quite a few postings from fellow RVers who will be inconvenienced by this.  Many folks are angry as they list the steps involved to get their mail and personal business back in order.  Even a cry for someone to be jailed.

We may all lose some funds in our postage accounts and account fees.

But you know what, my inconvenience is a pittance of what Terri and her crew must be facing right now.  Imagine suddenlyl loosing  your job in a little town like Madison...

I am going to use my energy to pray and hope for their recovery from this.  My inconvenience pales in comparison.

Just saying...

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

3 hours ago, JRP said:

The Escapees service is based in Box Elder (same as Americas Mailbox) which is in Pennington County where there is no wheel tax YET. The state of SD continues to pressure all SD counties to implement a wheel tax.

Thanks.  I know this has been a debate for years.

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

They stopped accepting mail on the 25th.  My understanding is that they were returning to sender at that point, but I'm not sure if the post office was sending them back.  Of course, there was a check that was supposed to arrive around that day, so now it is in a bit of limbo......

FYI, in case not everyone got the email, I got another one from Terri tonight.  At the very least she has been communicative, which gives me hope that the Madison post office will indeed be forwarding mail for 6 months, which helps since I still havent decided which forwarder to go with.  

New Announcement for Change of address procedure - I am told this is the final change

Terri Lund

6:35 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to info
cleardot.gif

You will need to visit your local post office and fill out a change of address card (hard copy) for each individual.

The on-line process will not work for this type of change of address.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

My Dakota Address

110 E Center St

Madison, SD  57042

605-427-5863

4 hours ago, Kevin H said:

I, like everyone else, was shocked to get my email today.  I've read quite a few postings from fellow RVers who will be inconvenienced by this.  Many folks are angry as they list the steps involved to get their mail and personal business back in order.  Even a cry for someone to be jailed.

We may all lose some funds in our postage accounts and account fees.

But you know what, my inconvenience is a pittance of what Terri and her crew must be facing right now.  Imagine suddenlyl loosing  your job in a little town like Madison...

I am going to use my energy to pray and hope for their recovery from this.  My inconvenience pales in comparison.

Just saying...

I would agree.  I told Teri that she was very respected and was so helpful when I went fulltime.  It even took her by surprise.  I also wish her the best of luck.

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

I paid them every year.  So they managed my account correctly.  Did you pay your bill?

I certainly did.

Steve and Joy

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

4 hours ago, rynosback said:

It even took her by surprise.  I also wish her the best of luck.

She may well be a good person who didn't know, but that doesn't change the USPS requirements that apply to the company or the owner. Nor does it make this ethical.

I didn't even get a notice. Found out about it on a forum post. I believe the regulation is they have to forward for 6 months as long as there is postage in ones account to cover it. Does not say anything about "except if the company goes out of business". I think they still have an obligation here.

Steve and Joy

Where We Are Now

Just now, Ranger Smith said:

didn't even get a notice.

You read the regulation much as I do and I know that Escapees told me that they had to keep a reserve for that purpose. If I were you, I would contact the USPS regulators.

16 hours ago, bilmorvn said:

That has always given me pause, too.  Yes, you can describe it as "most" of one's mail using the Texas address, but you could also describe it as "the only mail that uses the South Dakota address is what's necessary to support a person's South Dakota domicile and it automatically gets sent to the Texas address that that person uses for all other mail."

It's not an issue until it's an issue, which is what a few thousand mail service customers in Florida are finding out, as their voter registrations are now being subjected to individual scrutiny. 

Back to South Dakota, I have to say that I'm impressed that the post office is trying to help out.  They could just step back, fold their arms, and say, "Not my problem."  Instead, they're trying to find a solution that will lessen the impact on people who aren't even actually their customers.  Good for them.

I hope they come up with a scheme that will work, but if they can't, at least they're trying, which I would suspect is more than most people would expect, considering how much people like to rag on the post office.

45 minutes ago, Blues said:

Instead, they're trying to find a solution that will lessen the impact on people who aren't even actually their customers.  Good for them.

I would say that people ARE their customers as the mail send to a post office box or mail forwarding service is no different than the mail sent to a physical home address. I agree that it is nice to see the USPS being proactive.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Be nice to keep everyone posted on any info that comes up, in particular anything concerning refunds/reimbursements.

Not sure how that would happen, last time I called by phone, both lines (800 and 650...) were out of service.

And I imagine they won't be getting back to anyone via email either.

I had just recently paid may yearly fee. Would like to get a portion of that back.

Keep everyone posted..