MyDakotaAddress.com is shutting the doors

I was invoiced 7/17 for next years service by My Dakota Address and paid the same day via credit card.  I did have mail sent the same day and received it OK.   I have received no notification of their closing and found out here on the forum.  I contacted my credit card company to decline payment.  I also called My Dakota Address today and got the same message, their message box is full.  I am tying to use Your Best Address but am waiting on a call back because they too are swamped.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been able to put together a new account with AmericasMailbox in Box Elder (Rapid City).  The phone has been answered, although the recording says 'the next available, blah, blah' then tells you what # in the que for waiting.  I've been 3,2 or 1 and got to talk with someone within 2-3 minutes.  They are also getting many refugees from MyDakotaAddress.  One email I got yesterday was sent after 6pm, so seems they are trying.  My issue is that I've been in Canada away from reliable wifi for the month of July - SO GLAD Dutch started this ball rolling with his initial post.

I have nothing of do or die importance to get forwarded, but there are 3-4 pieces of mail waiting for me in Madison to give them an address .  I'll get my new address this afternoon, but getting the mail forwarded is now looking to be a moot point.  I feel for those who have checks, medications, vehicle registrations that are pending.....hang in there!

My best to everyone dealing with this and glad to have this forum to get info/experiences from.  Thanks docj for the info on changing addresses, etc.  Ain't RVing fun?!!

My speculation is that the suddenness of the closure and the lack of any advance notice smacks of what happens in a business bankruptcy.  No advance notice of a bankruptcy is given and, in the case of a liquidation, the doors are essentially locked the day the papers are filed.  Although it may be possible to reverse a credit card charge, I wouldn't hold out any hope of other funds being refunded.  All the business's resources go under the control of the bankruptcy trustee.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Whether it's bankruptcy or the SD tax folks shutting it down, it seems a bit odd that a bank president would let his side business get in this situation.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I had talked to Terri last Friday July 20 and told here I was sending her the necessary paperwork to register a car that I had just purchased (which included the title) On the envelope that I sent I used my return address in SD so if it is returned to sender it will just go back to the post office. Right now I do not know where the title is and I have a car without a title and no way to register it. I have tired to contact Terri but as others have found out the phone mail is full and E-mails are not answered.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

7 hours ago, Jim Gell said:

Cathy and I are weighing our options.  Does anyone domiciled in SD, and uses the Escapees mail forwarding service in Livingston TX, have any pros or cons to share?  

Jim

My wife Amanda and I just finished setting up domicile in SD using Escapees mail forwarding with SD domicile option. They use Box Elder in Pennington County so no wheel tax. Escapees was very responsive to questions and helpful as needed. We spent 3 1/2 days in Rapid City to get drivers licenses, Jeep and trailer titled and registered there, along with setting up bank accounts with local credit union. We thoroughly enjoyed Rapid City services. The staff was helpful with questions and there was barely a wait. We use the Box Elder, SD address for "official" business (DL/registrations/voting/bank accounts/insurance) and for most there is the option of mailing address, which we use the Livingston, TX address for. We haven't gone through process of receiving mail yet as we are just starting out so no feedback on how Escapees does with that service yet. - Scarlett

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes...

He should be easy to find if the USPS should want him. It would seem he is an employee of the bigger company.

First Bank & Trust is part of Fishback Financial Corporation, one of South Dakota’s largest privately-held bank holding companies with 23 locations in 18 communities in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here's the latest I have. Email from Terri Lund at My Dakota Address 2:22 PM 07/28/2908 :

I regret to inform you that we are closed for business due to financial reasons as of July 31st.  Thank you for your business and friendship.  I can not express how saddened am I to give you this information.

Please let us know where to send your mail.

I just learned the post office is NOT returning any mail that has not arrived here yet.  They are implementing a forwarding process. 

I believe it will be in place next week.  Not set up yet today, Saturday the 28th.  I would wait until Tuesday the 31st.

You will need to visit, www.usps.com.

Click track & manage

Click Change of Address

Click Get Started

Click Individual – this is a must, don’t click family.

Contact Information

Enter Full name and full 110 E Center St address.

Click next

New Address

I will keep you posted of any further developments.

22 minutes ago, Bill_Thompson said:

Here's the latest I have. Email from Terri Lund at My Dakota Address 2:22 PM 07/28/2908 :

I regret to inform you that we are closed for business due to financial reasons as of July 31st.  Thank you for your business and friendship.  I can not express how saddened am I to give you this information.

Please let us know where to send your mail.

I just learned the post office is NOT returning any mail that has not arrived here yet.  They are implementing a forwarding process. 

I believe it will be in place next week.  Not set up yet today, Saturday the 28th.  I would wait until Tuesday the 31st.

You will need to visit, www.usps.com.

Click track & manage

Click Change of Address

Click Get Started

Click Individual – this is a must, don’t click family.

Contact Information

Enter Full name and full 110 E Center St address.

Click next

New Address

I will keep you posted of any further developments.

Regardless of what Terri wrote in this email, if you try to enter a USPS mail forwarding using the 110 E Center St address it will be rejected and you will receive this error message:

Mail addressed to an addressee at commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA) is not forwarded through the USPS. The CMRA customer may make special arrangements for the CMRA operator to re-mail the mail with payment of new postage. A CMRA must accept and re-mail mail to former customers for at least 6 months after termination of the agency relationship. After the 6-month period, the CMRA may refuse mail addressed to a former customer. The Application for Delivery of Mail through Agent (PS Form 1583) requires an addressee and agent to comply with all applicable postal rules and regulations relative to delivery of mail through an agent. For more information on mail forwarding regulations, contact your local Postmaster.

I've tried the mail forwarding as a single and as a family, with and without my mailbox number. It simply doesn't work.  As most of us are aware, all these PMB addresses, including Escapees, are coded as PMBs in the online directories that USPS and financial institutions use.

Clearly, the owners of MyDakotaAddress are trying to avoid the 6-month requirement described in the above paragraph.  That pisses me off just as much as the no-notice termination we received this week.  If the owner is a bank president, we ought to write his board of directors telling them what a creep he is.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

21 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I've just posted a nasty review on his bank's Facebook page.  I encourage others to do the same.  At least we can get some revenge.

9 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Did you read Terri's message, Joel? She said the USPS forwarding would not be in place until next week.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Terri refers to this as being a financial problem.  I restate my supposition that it is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  If that's the case, the least they should do is fess up and provide a proper explanation.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I"ve been hoping the USPS would step in, and at least this is a glimmer of hope that we will have a temporary reprieve.  I haven't chosen a new mail forwarder yet on the hope of this happening, I hate rushing into decisions.  I am hopeful this is true, Terri has been as available as I can imagine one could be under the circumstances, when she probably could have turned tail without a word.  Thanks for the update!

As an interested bystander with no real involvement, I do have a question for those who are upset. My question is, have any of you gone to the USPS to complain of what is going on and to share what the company is telling you? If you have not and if you wish the required process of USPS is applied, then someone needs to make sure that the postal inspector's office or some other authority is made aware of the short notice. 

20 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

As an interested bystander with no real involvement, I do have a question for those who are upset. My question is, have any of you gone to the USPS to complain of what is going on and to share what the company is telling you? If you have not and if you wish the required process of USPS is applied, then someone needs to make sure that the postal inspector's office or some other authority is made aware of the short notice. 

I would agree with this 100%.  Complain to the USPS that this company is in violation of the law. 

11 hours ago, docj said:

Regardless of what Terri wrote in this email, if you try to enter a USPS mail forwarding using the 110 E Center St address it will be rejected and you will receive this error message:

Mail addressed to an addressee at commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA) is not forwarded through the USPS. The CMRA customer may make special arrangements for the CMRA operator to re-mail the mail with payment of new postage. A CMRA must accept and re-mail mail to former customers for at least 6 months after termination of the agency relationship. After the 6-month period, the CMRA may refuse mail addressed to a former customer. The Application for Delivery of Mail through Agent (PS Form 1583) requires an addressee and agent to comply with all applicable postal rules and regulations relative to delivery of mail through an agent. For more information on mail forwarding regulations, contact your local Postmaster.

I've tried the mail forwarding as a single and as a family, with and without my mailbox number. It simply doesn't work.  As most of us are aware, all these PMB addresses, including Escapees, are coded as PMBs in the online directories that USPS and financial institutions use.

Clearly, the owners of MyDakotaAddress are trying to avoid the 6-month requirement described in the above paragraph.  That pisses me off just as much as the no-notice termination we received this week.  If the owner is a bank president, we ought to write his board of directors telling them what a creep he is.

My understanding is that the “financial reasons” are that the SD Department of Revenue shut them down.

5 minutes ago, Mcpowder said:

My understanding is that the “financial reasons” are that the SD Department of Revenue shut them down.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Would you mind sharing your source of that information? I have seen lots of speculation about the reason but nothing that is verifiable. I think many of us would be interested to know for sure.

13 hours ago, docj said:

I've just posted a nasty review on his bank's Facebook page.  I encourage others to do the same.  At least we can get some revenge.

This action is a little premature until the real reason is known.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

This action is a little premature until the real reason is known.

The real reason should have been know up front . What's being hidden and why ?

The whole thing stinks .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

If they never told us they were shutting down (I received no communication from them) what makes anyone think we'll ever know why they closed so abruptly.   I suppose we can monitor the Madison newspaper?  But it makes no difference to me, fortunately I have disputed my credit card payment for next years service which I paid 2 weeks ago.  I do feel for others who have serious problems with important documents.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Would you mind sharing your source of that information? I have seen lots of speculation about the reason but nothing that is verifiable. I think many of us would be interested to know for sure.

On the group, “Full Time RV’ers” on Facebook, someone called Madison Police Department. They told him.

If I were one of the ones left in the lurch so abruptly, I'd be steaming mad, also. Things happen and businesses go under or close their doors. That's not the issue. The issue is no notification and having to find out on a forum. What about those who don't read forums regularly or don't read their emails on a daily basis? I'm sure there are some people out there who have no clue still, and those who can't jump on this quickly enough to get it handled. As stated, it's going to be a real issue for those that are waiting on important snail mail.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking