MyDakotaAddress.com is shutting the doors

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

Kirk,

some questions  about the differences.

Escapees 

I’m not sure why you are asking me this as my only connection to Escapee Mail is that I’m a subscriber.  Have been since January 2000. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Isn't there some legal USPS requirement that mail must be accepted(or whatever) for 6 months. They need to ease out to give everyone time to move to another service.

Unless something has changed recently you are correct. I wonder if the USPS has been made aware of this plan?

5 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Unless something has changed recently you are correct. I wonder if the USPS has been made aware of this plan?

I have read this as well, but I suppose if it is a business, the only recourse legally would be against the business, but if the business is folded/bankrupt, there isn't anyone to go after?  I did not ask for a reason, since I figured we'd get the whole story at some point online.  But I surmise tax issues, can't be many other reasons to shut down so unexpectedly?

12 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

But I surmise tax issues, can't be many other reasons to shut down so unexpectedly?

I suspect that there could be a lot of possible reasons. If Teri is an employee she is probably in the clear but I’d not be so sure about the owner once someone reports it to the USPS. The feds take mail very seriously. 

I just got off the phone with Teri.  They are closing!!  As stated they will not be excepting mail and it will be returned to sender.  Make other arrangements.  This seemed to be a shocker to Teri as well.  And for the ones that used there service for years know that Teri was the heart of that business.  WOW is all I have to say.  Now the search begins for my mailing service.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We have used MyHomeAddress in Emery SD for 12 years.  They already had to deal with the original owner getting medical complications and eventually dying.  So they understand business continuation which is so important for a mail forwarder since most of the customers used that address for virtually everything.  

I would hate to start changing our address for everything.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

5 hours ago, docj said:

I spoke with Terri yesterday.  She said that there was still a chance that the business might be sold and she said that she would know that today (Thursday).  I decided that I wasn't going to play around and worry about whether or not they would stay in business, so I opened an account yesterday with YourBestAddress in Sioux Falls. Tanyel (605-334-5313) is the person to talk to there and she was very helpful and efficient.  They offer roughly the same services as Terri was providing at similar prices.

FWIW I know for fact that MyDakotaAddress was not a sole proprietor business (at least not initially).  Terri was an employee but I don't think she was an (original) owner.  At the 2011 Escapade in Gillette I happened to meet a guy who identified himself as "one of the owners".  He was a faculty member at an SD university, although I don't remember his name.  That always gave me "confidence" that the business had some staying power.  So much for my sense of confidence!  I'm not sure what happened to the business but closing your doors in less than a week without any form of formal notification to customers is a dreadful way to do business.

FWIW USPS requires mail forwarding services to provide forwarding of additional pieces of mail for, I believe, 6 months (at your expense) after a termination.  However, if the business is no longer functioning I'm not sure what can be done about this. From USPS's perspective, this is in lieu of the fact that it doesn't provide "change of address" service to people using PMB's.

One reason for going with YourBestAddress is that the Sioux Falls address allows me to retain the East Coast DNS feed from DirecTV.  We aren't grandfathered into both feeds and didn't want to end up with the West Coast one which, I think, is what would happen if we chose a mail service in the western portion of the state which is on Mountain Time.

Your Best Address has just updated their policy and is now waiving the $20 sign-up fee. If you paid it DocJ, let them know and they will apply it to your postage balance. The new sign up link that waives the fee can be found at - http://yourbestaddress.com/my-dakota-address-closed.html

E-mail just received from Terri Lund at MyDakotaAddress -

Terri Lund

7:06 PM (6 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to info
cleardot.gif

I regret to inform you that we are closed for business as of July 31st.  Thank you for your business and friendship.  I cannot express how saddened I am to give you this information.

Unfortunately, any mail that arrives for this address will be returned to sender as of July 25th.

Please let me know your current address so we can get your mail sent to you now.

After talking with most of the mail forwarding companies in South Dakota, I would strongly recommend that you use DakotaPost in Sioux Falls, South Dakota to help you with your mail forwarding needs.

They seem to be the most like us.  They have a very caring staff that will provide you the best in customer service.  They will be happy to take care of your mail forwarding and continued South Dakota residency needs. 

I have negotiated with DakotaPost to waive their sign up fee for my clients and to match my price on the GOLD plan with their Virtual Mail Box Service. By the way, their Virtual Mail Box Service is regarded as one of the best in the industry and the first of its kind in providing digital mail to its clients. DakotaPost will also provide attractive pricing  on all its other mail forwarding packages.

To ensure folks get this handled in a timely manner DakotaPost will open this Saturday July 28th from 10:00 AM CST – 2:00 PM CST to help you get signed up and answer any questions you might have.

You can also sign up online at dakotapost.net by clicking on Travel Solutions Mail Forwarding - Start The Process Online Now.  

Their normal business hours are MondayFriday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM CST. Do not hesitate to call and DakotaPost will help you out with your needs. Call 1-800-477-2664.

About DakotaPost

They have been in the mail forwarding industry since 1989. They are a full service company that does vehicle registrations, registered agent services and we offer other solutions to the challenges full Time travelers face. DakotaPost is in a large 8000 sq. ft. facility perfectly located in Sioux Falls SD with a team of 15 caring employees waiting to serve you.

https://dakotapost.net/

Phone:  800.477.2664

Dakota Post

3916 N. Potsdam Ave

Sioux Falls, SD  57104

I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience this will cause you.

Best Regards,

My Dakota Address

110 E Center St

Madison, SD  57042

605-427-5863

We started with Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls in 2008. When the owner decided it was time to move on he made arrangement for a seamless transfer. That company, I believe, is now known as Dakota Post. While their staff is nowhere as big as that at Escapees in Livingston it's a lot more than Dakota Post has. And it offers more services than Escapees does (vehicle registration, etc.) but voting rights there have not been tested through the courts. Like pretty much any decision there are costs and benefits of the choices. I wish you all well as you make this decision.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, CantDrive55 said:

Your Best Address has just updated their policy and is now waiving the $20 sign-up fee. If you paid it DocJ, let them know and they will apply it to your postage balance. The new sign up link that waives the fee can be found at - http://yourbestaddress.com/my-dakota-address-closed.html

Thanks for the heads-up.  Frankly, I am so appreciative of how supportive the staff at Your Best Address has been that cost has become a relatively minor factor.

FWIW, despite Terri's endorsement of Dakota Post, Your Best Address is FMCA's preferred mail forwarding company, which is not an insignificant endorsement.  YBA has extremely positive Google reviews and I was impressed that the owner personally responds to every review.  I'm sure that both YBA and Dakota Post will be able to provide us "displaced persons" the support we need to get our lives back in order.

A couple of things I discovered today:

1.  If you have vehicles registered in SD, you can easily update the address using the MY SD Cars website.  Just set up an account using your SD license number and all your vehicles will be displayed.  You can then update both their mailing and permanent addresses.

2.  For driver's licenses, you have several choices. If you don't care about having a license with a current address, you can simply email the Department of Public Safety (DPS) with your new address so they would know where to mail you things like traffic tickets. 😀  However, if you prefer to have a license with the proper address you can request a Duplicate/Replacement License using the DPS Duplicate/Replacement  website.  Be aware that you will be required to provide two pieces of mail sent to your new address (although a copy of your new, signed mail forwarding agreement may suffice) and you probably ought to sign a new Residency affidavit. 

I was told today by a DPS worker that if I come into the office next month to get an updated license I would need the two pieces of mail as well as a receipt for a night's lodging just like we were getting a renewed license.  I didn't think to ask if this would change my renewal date, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.  We're going to be in SD anyway so it's not big deal to stop by DPS to get this done.

3. Virtually all my accounts have now been changed to the new address.  You need only to update your Social Security account which will also update your Medicare account.  The Social Security website makes the address change very easy.  Our Medicare supplemental and Part D insurers both required phone calls rather than allow address changes online.  Every other financial account we've been able to update online.

I'm still quite annoyed by the abrupt way this has all come about, but there's no point getting aggravated about things outside one's control.  Forget about it and move on!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

10 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

After talking with most of the mail forwarding companies in South Dakota, I would strongly recommend that you use DakotaPost in Sioux Falls, South Dakota to help you with your mail forwarding needs.

I wonder what Teri received for that endorsement? Perhaps nothing, but then again....  🤫

Edited by Kirk Wood

10 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

Unfortunately, any mail that arrives for this address will be returned to sender as of July 25th.

In case anyone missed it, this was the same day that this thread was started. Despite the announced closing date of July 31, it sounds like mail was already being returned to the senders by the postal service at the time this thread was started.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I certainly do not know the laws regarding mail handling, but it seems that someone belongs in jail.  Clearly this is a serious matter.  Returning mail to the sender is in no way a solution.  The sender has no way to forward or handle the mail or future mail.  The addressee does not even know that anything was sent.  Not only does this seem criminal but the impact on the customers is immense.  When we first set  up mail forwarding we had to update our addresses with lots of companies and individuals.  I think the number was about 30.  The only way we found many was setting up forwarding months in advance and then updating the list as more mail kept arriving at the old address. 

Even though we handled the transition in a systematic fashion we still had a major issue.  A financial institution decided to terminate 1 of 6 accounts we had with them.  They had been notified but never updated our address for that account.  They mailed us a check for several thousand dollars.  The check was lost and no one at the institution did any research or they would have seen what happened.  Instead we learned of the account closure 2 years later when the IRS wanted taxes associated with the capital gains on the account.  Yup, I think someone belongs in jail.

Edited by JimK

Yep, since we have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the closing, let's throw someone in jail. That'll fix everything... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, TCW said:

In case anyone missed it, this was the same day that this thread was started. Despite the announced closing date of July 31, it sounds like mail was already being returned to the senders by the postal service at the time this thread was started.

I think that if I were a customer of theirs, this would be the issue that bothered me most. Even after the discussion began on this and other RV forums, there was no general announcement or notice on the website.

Thanks dirtyboots posting your copy of the My Dakota Address email.  I have received nothing from them.  I am quite upset that my mail has been returned to senders as of 7/25 and some of their customers, me, have zero notification of this or their closing.      Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Cathy and I are weighing our options.  Does anyone domiciled in SD, and uses the Escapees mail forwarding service in Livingston TX, have any pros or cons to share?  

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

13 hours ago, docj said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  Frankly, I am so appreciative of how supportive the staff at Your Best Address has been that cost has become a relatively minor factor.

FWIW, despite Terri's endorsement of Dakota Post, Your Best Address is FMCA's preferred mail forwarding company, which is not an insignificant endorsement.  YBA has extremely positive Google reviews and I was impressed that the owner personally responds to every review.  I'm sure that both YBA and Dakota Post will be able to provide us "displaced persons" the support we need to get our lives back in order.

I'm still quite annoyed by the abrupt way this has all come about, but there's no point getting aggravated about things outside one's control.  Forget about it and move on!

Doc,

Thanks for the info.  Here's my take about "timing" of this and lack of notification -- not to mention that because I'm on the road, I don't typically check my email every single day!

I got notice of some important mail on 23 of July.  Asked for it to be forwarded on 24th of July.  Received notice of Bill to renew my service for another 3 months (premium service) on 24th of July after I asked about whether it was due yet or not.  Paid that renewal bill on the 24th of July.  Got a receipt for 3-month renewal on the 24th of July.  Received a "regret to inform you we're closed for business" notice on the 26th of July and no mail received after the 25th will be forwarded and will be returned to sender.  I also requested a notice of balance for my mail deposits in my last email.

The problem is I usually get a confirmation that my mail is on its way when I ask to have it forwarded. I have not heard a thing.  Their phone answering service mailbox is full, so not way to leave a message. So I have no idea if the mail is on its way or not given the confusion of the past few days. (By the way, that very last mail includes my IRS tax refund I've been waiting for  -- due to my tax situation, I can only get paper checks in the mail from IRS that come MONTHS after I filed my taxes, so please don't suggest I file my taxes electronically that's not available to everyone in all situations and I happen to be one of those who cannot file electronically -- anyway). THAT check is not something that I am excited to have to go chase down if it got sent back to the IRS.)

I only found out about this 'closure of business' today because I wanted to get a new car I bought yesterday (the 26th) registered and logged in to begin that process.  So now I have to scramble to go find somewhere else to get my vehicle registered before I can drive it, and I'm extra annoyed that someone didn't give me a head's up about a possible business closing, especially when they asked me to send in a payment for another 3 months service 2 days before notice of business closure!  Does that mean they didn't know they were going out of business on the 24th of July, or that it was even a possibility?  I'm so annoyed at that,  I'm considering reversing the Visa payment for non-service if it can't be properly transferred to something else, not to mention a pretty good chunk of change sitting in my mail deposit account, what happens to that?

The fact that I didn't get acknowledgment that my mail was on its way and didn't get a response about my mail funds account balance leads me to believe this was an extremely sudden event.  But it sounds like some of you out there did get indicators that there was a looming business closure.  I got zero notice until after the fact.  Now I'm scrambling.

Dakota post: I called.  All I get there is a message stating they are WAY swamped due to this sudden closure of My Dakota Address and leave a message they will get back to me when they can.  (I guess no car registration for a while?)

Just annoyed.  But I understand life gets in the way.

Roobah