Unusual way to level a RV.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We are in a RV park in Homer, Alaska and have a new neighbor pull in awhile ago. The sites are some what Unlevel side to side. I saw this RVer level his RV site by digging about a four to six long trench  to lower the RV to get it level. I know he had wooden leveling blocks with him because he used them under the electric jacks front and rear and had blocks left over. It took him about and hour of digging and pull in back and forth to finally get the level results he wanted. This person does not appear to be a first time RVer from the looks of his 5er and tow vehicle. I also don’t think the RV park is going to like the trench he dug out after he leaves.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

14 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

I wonder what he would do with a sloping concrete site?

Dynamite? 😏

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Hopefully the owner if the park will realize how off level things are.  We were hosting at a couple of different locations that were way off.  The people who built the sites were not rvers and had no idea how far off level they were.  In both cases, they brought equipment in and corrected the problem, or at least tried.   Not saying I think this is what people should do, but since he did.....

Pat DeJong

1 hour ago, LFDR3116 said:

Hopefully the owner if the park will realize how off level things are.  We were hosting at a couple of different locations that were way off.  The people who built the sites were not rvers and had no idea how far off level they were.  In both cases, they brought equipment in and corrected the problem, or at least tried.   Not saying I think this is what people should do, but since he did.....

I think this is the best way to look at it also.  He might just make things better for the rest of us.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I would consider doing this if blocking up the wheels meant that the stairs were way high (or grounding themselves).  One of my first RV trips was to a campground in Acadia National Park that had super unlevel sites (front to back).  I remember running out of landing leg length on the front, trying to get the front end level with the rear.  I also recall seeing Class C's with front wheels blocked up a good 3 feet off the ground!  How they did that, I have no clue, other than the help of a series of jacking sessions.  In these cases, I would do whatever it took to make a safe and level setup, including some earth moving!  (moving it back of course......)

12 hours ago, Ronbo said:

This is how a lot of old timers will level their rv.

Some consider myself to be an old timer and I have never done that, nor do I remember ever seeing that done. I can't say that I have never seen it happen but I don't believe I have in at least 10 years. I would think that the park management would get involved if a private RV park and the park rangers if a public park. I have stayed in some pretty difficult sites over the years but digging is probably going to make it worse for the next visitor, particularly if it rains hard in between. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, noteven said:

I would grab me a cold beer a comfortable chair and watch the entertainment. 

X2

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have been in that situation to make it faster I used the dirt I removed to build up the opposite side and yes the steps were the reason....😊😠☹️

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

I remember watching my uncle (1950's) dig a trench for the trailer wheels to obtain level. He filled-in the trench before he left the CG.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived