low vs high-profile AC

crstrm

This does not answer your question but on the Arctic Fox discussion boards, I saw a discussion where someone stated that a dealer told them not to get a low profile because they were noisier.  Well, a lot of other owners jumped in and said they have owned both or currently owned both and they noticed no noise level difference.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I had a low profile Dometic on our fulltime motorhome partly for the lower height but mostly because they had better efficiency ratings and drew less power. Compare the rated power requirements as I think that is still the case. The higher efficiency is the reason that they are smaller in size. (I have not shopped them for several years so suggest that you verify this is still true.)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

The higher efficiency is the reason that they are smaller in size.

The lower profile units tend to be the higher efficiency ones, but I'm not sure the efficiency drives the smaller size.  I actually think the logic is more like: lower profile = higher price point (sylish).  In return for higher price point the unit is designed to be more efficient.  So using this logic, the lower profile/smaller size drives a higher market price which allows for design of an intrinsically better product (higher efficiency.)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have low profile 15000 BTU AC. I think the fan on the roof might be a little louder than some others but not bad. I can say that at 95 degrees the AC will draw 12 to 13 amps which is fairly low compared to what others say a 15000 BTU should draw. I can run both AC with my Onan 4.0 CCK generator with 6 amps still available.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Archived