Adding second TV to Hopper3?

I currently have a Hopper3 and am using it only on our "main" TV.  I am interested in adding our bedroom TV to the system and wanted advice from the forum experts. What is involved in using a wireless Joey to do this and which one is easiest? Also, is it better to purchase one or just get one from Dish and what is the monthly fee for adding it? Advance thanks!

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Do you rent or own your Hopper? If renting, it would likely be just as easy to rent the Joey too. We pay $7.00/mo for the Joeys in our house. As far as I know there are only two types of Joeys, wired or wireless. If you rent from Dish you will get the version compatible with your Hopper. Installation is pretty straightforward. Place the Joey, plug into power, plug into TV and then use the menu on the Hopper to "pair" it. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Do you rent or own your Hopper? If renting, it would likely be just as easy to rent the Joey too. We pay $7.00/mo for the Joeys in our house. As far as I know there are only two types of Joeys, wired or wireless. If you rent from Dish you will get the version compatible with your Hopper. Installation is pretty straightforward. Place the Joey, plug into power, plug into TV and then use the menu on the Hopper to "pair" it. 

Thanks, I do not own the Hopper and definitely want the latest wireless Joey (4k).

2012 Montana 3585SA

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Pretty sure you also need the wireless access point connected to your Hopper to send the tv signal to the Joey.  At least that is the setup I have.

Another thing I need clarified. Not so sure it's necessary with Hopper3 and Latest Joey (4k).

2012 Montana 3585SA

The wireless Joey uses the 5 GHz band and uses a separate Access Point for the communication.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The wireless Joey uses the 5 GHz band and uses a separate Access Point for the communication.

It would be nice if this was in words this dummy can understand.

2012 Montana 3585SA

6 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Pretty sure you also need the wireless access point connected to your Hopper to send the tv signal to the Joey.  At least that is the setup I have.

Yes, I forgot about that. Basically, the wireless access point is like a private router for the Hopper to communicate with the Joeys.

31 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Yes, I forgot about that. Basically, the wireless access point is like a private router for the Hopper to communicate with the Joeys.

Looks like the Hopper3 should have that built in...has pretty much everything else. Looks like it might be better to get equipment from Dish.

2012 Montana 3585SA

The Hopper has 2.4 GHz WiFi built in.  Dish wants the 5 GHz band so that the data stream would not be fighting other traffic.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Curious , when you guys refer to router to use wireless Joey do you need internet access for this or is it just a private comm network between joey and hopper? 

Just following and learning. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

For best use of the Hopper you should have an Internet connection.  But for the wireless Joey discussion, this is a private network strictly for use by the wireless Joey.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

For those of you without a Hopper 3, if you have an Internet connection, you can use the voice command to find programs as well as order movies and get shows On Demand.  There are probably several other things you can do with it, too, but that is what I have found.  I have found On Demand to be helpful, but none of those features are must haves, IMO.  So if you don't have a reliable (or fast) Internet connection, you are not missing the best features of the Hopper...the ability to watch one show (or sleep thru a show) while recording a LOT of other shows. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:04 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

For best use of the Hopper you should have an Internet connection.  But for the wireless Joey discussion, this is a private network strictly for use by the wireless Joey.

Thanks

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On 7/22/2018 at 4:48 PM, WeBeFulltimers said:

Looks like the Hopper3 should have that built in...has pretty much everything else. Looks like it might be better to get equipment from Dish.

We have the Hopper 3 in the house and need the wireless access point to use the wireless Joeys.

10 hours ago, Chalkie said:

We have the Hopper 3 in the house and need the wireless access point to use the wireless Joeys.

Do you have the latest (4k) Joey and if so how do you like it?

2012 Montana 3585SA

Archived