Dripping AC

I have a question, The Coleman AC in the living area constantly drips water when running. Does not leak from rain. It appears to be condensation. I have been on top and removed the cover and washed out every thing so no trash is evident in the base pan. The bedroom AC does not do this. If it is condensation wouldn't both drip? What can I do to correct this? We are in SC and it is humid, but I never had this problem in the past. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

15 hours ago, rving4us said:

If it is condensation wouldn't both drip?

No. The a/c units have a condensation collecting tray under the evaporator that the interior air passes through to cool it. That tray has a drain line that then empties into the base pan that the a/c sits inside of and that pan has drain holes in the corners. If the a/c is running and moisture is dripping inside but your base pan is dry, the moisture drain tube is plugged up. It is very unlikely that both a/c units would experience the same issue at the same time. In normal operation, the condensation drains from the tray to the pan and from there out on the roof of the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks  Kirk, I'll go back on the roof tomorrow(raining now) I didn't realize there was an additional drip pan.  I cleaned the base pan, it wasn't really that bad. I'll look fro the pan under the condenser.

SKP# 123923

2 minutes ago, rving4us said:

I didn't realize there was an additional drip pan.

You won't find that on the roof unless you remove some sheet metal covering the condenser. On some models, you access that tray from the inside of the RV by removing the cover at the ceiling.  Other models have a removable metal cover that can be taken off from the outside, once you have the plastic shroud off of the a/c. 

I saw that, but if I remember correctly there was no additional cover to take off. It's a Coleman Mach 3 15,000 w/heat pump. I have had the inside cover off several times and don't think I have ever seen a drip fan, but I'll look again.

Thanks again.

SKP# 123923

13 hours ago, rving4us said:

don't think I have ever seen a drip fan, but I'll look again.

There is a catch tray or should be. The evaporation coils always get cold as that is where the cooling takes place and if there is much humidity the water collected must drain away or it will drip back inside. 

Also inspect the plenum divider, which is seen from inside the RV, if it is not tightly sealed the chilled air can blow into the intake side and cause condensation to form on the intake side of the divider, which of course has nowhere to go but drip into the living area.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks Ray & Kirk. seems I have the dripping stopped. Now either I'm crazy, but it seems the fan will come on and run 30 sec or so before the compressor kicks in. Never did this before.

Go figure.

SKP# 123923

Kirk, I'm not sure about anything at this point. The bedroom AC 13.5 comes on and the compressor immediately. When it shuts off the fan cuts off. The livingroom AC 15.0 runs most of the time. The compressor cycles on and off but the fan continues to run. Now that is before the desired temp is reached. If I raise the temp to the point the ac will completely shut off until the demo inside rises to where I set the temp.

Just don't remember it cycling on and off and the fan still run.

I think its about time to give up on full time and buy a house again. (not)

SKP# 123923

1 hour ago, rving4us said:

Just don't remember it cycling on and off and the fan still run

I'd say that as long as it gets the job done, I'd not worry about it too much. It could easily be that the two units are enough different to have different ways of operating. If you are like me, you really don't pay too close attention until it seems that something is wrong. ☺️

Exactly right. We are in SC and we are cool. Told my wife the same think after my last post. Not going to worry until it quits, then replace it.

Have a great week Kirk.

Cary

SKP# 123923

Archived