Vnl 610 cab shocks

Chuck

What may be some of the symptoms of cab shocks that need replaceing?  Just finished my maiden run from Couer d Alene to nor cal, 950 miles. Great stretch to learn. The truck shocks have been replaced.

Here is what I perceive. Through the sierras, switch backs etc.

Excessive leaning in turns

rocking (granted it is California roads)

diving, especially on downshifts in a turn

any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Quickthrotl said:

I installed Donvels on my cab bags and front axle, made a world of difference on handling and cab lean 

When I had the Volvo I also installed Donvels, I did the rear bags first, made a short trip, then did the cab, wow what a differance the cab valves made, I would start with them. If you follow a Volvo while driving and they have a drom box watch how much side movement the cab has, on my new to me Freightliner it has a pan hard bar that keeps the cab from swaying, so much difference that the Volvo cab ride as to side to side sway.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Just ordered a set hope to have them installed before my big trip to Nebraska. One again y'all have helped me answer some concerns I have had with my old Gen 1 truck.  They are great to talk to very helpful and offered support after the purchase up front. I will let everyone know how they work in the near future.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

I agree with the Donvel solution, my cab shocks are old and need replacing.  I had to many projects to do and thought it couldn't hurt to try the Donvel valves.  I installed them before our 2300 mile round trip, HUGE difference.  The sway is greatly reduced, and especcially when maneuvering the tt into a campsite, the cab doesn't roll side to side so much anymore.

Very good $100 dollar investment.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Just ordered a set hope to have them installed before my big trip to Nebraska. One again y'all have helped me answer some concerns I have had with my old Gen 1 truck.  They are great to talk to very helpful and offered support after the purchase up front. I will let everyone know how they work in the near future.

***** Update******

Installed the Cab and Sleeper control valves today.  Verdict is these are an amazing investment in getting the spongy feel out of the cab ride. Took me no time to install them I had left over line from an air lift system I used on my pick up.  Just released the line off of the air bag installed two inches of line and put it all together.  The instructions say to cut the original line 1 1/4 inches from the air bag connection did this originally but it was to short. The new line made them 2 inches and had enough room to properly seat all connections.  Can't wait to get it out on the open road next week.

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

• 4 weeks later...

**** Update on the Donvel Cab Valves ****

Got back from my 2000 mile trip after installing the Donvel valves.  They did there job and the ride was very nice on the trip.  I drove in wind and on some really rough roads to find the spongy feel was gone in all accounts.  I would highly recommend these valves for people that would like to feel a little more control because of the sleeper cab lean when going into curves or driving in cross winds.

I just received a set of Donvel cab airbag valves. Am considering changing shocks at the same time. As I am sure many have experienced, looking up parts for these rigs is not as easy as an F150. I could not determine a definitive part number. One number referenced a replacement. Does anyone have any idea what the cab shock number is for a 2003 vnl 610.?

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I just received a set of Donvel cab airbag valves. Am considering changing shocks at the same time. As I am sure many have experienced, looking up parts for these rigs is not as easy as an F150. I could not determine a definitive part number. One number referenced a replacement. Does anyone have any idea what the cab shock number is for a 2003 vnl 610.?

Let me dig in my book in the morning.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I am also looking to replace the shocks on my cab since one is blown out.  Yesterday I called the Volvo dealer and he gave me the prices of the OEM shocks Horizontal ones 116.31 a piece and the vertical ones were 40.27 a piece.  So I contacted a local parts shop and cross referenced the horizontal shocks to a Monroe 66108 and they were 58.00 a piece. The vertical shocks he gave me the wrong number at the dealer so I have to contact him again to get the right number.  And from what I can tell my 1999 610 has different shocks from the newer models y'all have. The air bags look like new on it so I am good there.  Thanks for the install page you posted Stan good information to watch for.

I put the Donvel valves on the rear axle cab and seats. I was not able to test after each separate install. What a difference. Even the seat is much improved. The cab hardly moves now. 

All they are is a restricted pipe, I am sure that I can make them on the laithe for twice the money! 

Now I wonder about the front air bags.  $1150 is a lot but maybe.

• 1 month later...

Much improved ride. The cab shocks have been replaced. The shop also found a bad leveling valve and changed the control rod. Also added the Donvel valves on the air bags. I live in the mountains of the Sierras and it felt a little out of control on mountain roads at times. 

Archived